Hurricane Irma WARNING!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
Has been upgraded to a category 5, everyone from Florida and up the Eastern coast needs to keep their eyes on this HURRICANE.  ALL OF US on the Eastern Seaboard needs track this particular hurricane on a daily basis.

LET's PRAY THIS HURRICANE HEADS BACK OUT TO THE ATLANTIC

Lonecoyote":j394tw6i said:
Has been upgraded to a category 5, everyone from Florida and up the Eastern coast needs to keep their eyes on this HURRICANE.  ALL OF US on the Eastern Seaboard needs track this particular hurricane on a daily basis.

LET's PRAY THIS HURRICANE HEADS BACK OUT TO THE ATLANTIC
Let's hope it bounces back out to sea! We don't need it here (never mind along the Gulf Coast)

Totally agree with all! I'm heading back to Raleigh in the morning! Don't need/want any dang storms messin' with my family/football plans!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

hobie1dog ":89yw4tuy said:
Is it supposed to stay a category 5 ?
Keep your eyes open on the local weather channel. Has changed numerous times already.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

What with all that's been going on with the aftermath of Harvey, those in the potential affected areas are wise to prepare as best they can. Hope this nasty storm can turn back out to sea asap.

Back in '03 I was in NC for my late Pap's memorial service right when some hurricane brushed the coast. And while I was somewhat well inland, the spiralling arms of this storm lashed out and brought the power down where I was. It was like being in one of the winter windstorms we get here in the Pac NW.

Not much rain to speak of, but the high winds brought down a big tree not 15' from the bedroom I was sleeping in at the time! So even if one is inland these storms can and do wreak havoc! :shock:

Cheers,

RR

CBS NEWS

Hurricane Irma is now the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic.

WATCH YOUR LOCAL WEATHER REPORT

Bloody hell folks, you're taking a beating over there. Lean into chaps. My thoughts are with you.

Alrighty folks. I have been keeping my eye on Irma since she first showed up. I had plans (and paid a deposit) to be in Hilton Head beach from Friday to Monday. Needless to say, I have since cancelled my plans and am expecting a full refund. I had this trip planned with friends for two months, so that sucks BUT we can't control Mother Nature, can we?

I don't necessarily consider myself a "prepper". My folks taught us that being prepared is just a way of life. Keep a full pantry, keep water on hand, extra food for the pets, etc. At the very least, it can save you from a last minute trip to the store when you didn't want to leave the house or if the budget gets tight. Common sense stuff that many people seem to have forgotten.

With all of that being said, I did grab some extra water on SUNDAY, when she was first getting underway. I went to Wal-mart yesterday to grab some groceries, I figured it never hurts to get a couple extra gallons of water... WOW. Water aisle was already devastated! I did manage to get 4 more gallons of water but it was obvious that it was going very quickly. Keep in mind, that was Wednesday, we aren't supposed to have landfall till Sunday night/Monday. It's times like these that I'm glad my parents taught me how to keep some stores/stock at home.

I'm 3-4 hours inland from the coast and the way my house is positioned (and neighborhood), flooding isn't likely. Maybe a little water in the crawl space but nothing serious. The major concern will be power outages lasting for days. And for that, I also have preparations and stock.

There is a silver lining! The reason we were going to the beach this weekend was because it is one of my wife's regularly scheduled 5-day weekends. We usually plan short trips on these types of breaks. It does stink that we can't have our beach trip BUT I am grateful that she was already scheduled off work. I don't have to worry about her trying to drive through rain/wind to get to work (if they didn't close down). It's the small things to be grateful for!

I should be around the forum until she hits. If I go dark for a couple days after Sunday, you know why. Supposedly she is supposed to make landfall right on SC, so it should be a wild ride!

I've got a cousin with a bull's-eye on his forehead, re this Irma gal. Wish him and everyone else success in evading the effects of this storm.

But, a question: what is it with buying water when these delights of nature hit? Don't taps work? You can just as easily drink tap water with pinky extended as you can with bottled. Personally, I'd be buying jugs. What am I missing?

I agree with Richard Burley. Purchase cheap jugs ( sorry ladies ) or wash your plastic milk gallons and fill'em up! Bottle water...cm'on really! Also fill your tubs with water...NO NOT FOR DRINKING...for flushing your toilets.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

With water rising, I think the toilets might be flushing themselves, but the wrong way.....

Ozark Wizard":pgiofpzw said:
With water rising, I think the toilets might be flushing themselves, but the wrong way.....
Just more crap to deal with... :roll:

AJ

Watching Live reports.

Tampa Bay is being drained by the storm surge. High tide when it comes back....

Take care folks............ :fpalm:

PLEASE BE CAREFUL

ALL IN THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF FLORIDA BE CAREFUL AND BE SAFE!!

You are ALL in my Prayers

I've kin in FL - 2 elderly aunts and several cousins. Just heard from one cousin late yesterday that she and the others were OK since the storm had gone further west. Apparently they hadn't evacuated and still had power as of late Sat. They expected some rain but no flooding. Glad to know they're OK. many aren't!

No Cheers,

RR

Luckily this thing fizzled out quickly. The news kept saying 12-15 foot storm surge, and the reported surge was only 3.9 ft. News naturally sensationalized everything, but hopefully all major damage will be minimal for a hurricane of this size.

hobie1dog":s8ak3dul said:
Luckily this thing fizzled out quickly. The news kept saying 12-15 foot storm surge, and the reported surge was only 3.9 ft.  News naturally sensationalized everything, but hopefully all major damage will be minimal for a hurricane of this size.
Yeah, they love the drama, but they can't soft sell it.
It certainly couldda pushed close to fifteen feet of surge.

All is well! Irma did fizzle out quickly once she made landfall, thank goodness! The worst of the rain and wind came last night in SC. The two trees I was worried about were able to hold up. Just had some dead branches fall (they needed to come down anyway). Over 160k people in Upstate SC without power. Luckily ours held up throughout the night.

And whoever it was that was asking about why we purchase water, it's in case the power goes out. In some areas, people can still get tap water if the power is out, other people cannot.

Lonecoyote, yup, we did the tubs full of water. We also have a 50 gallon rain barrel that is full for flushing toilets as well. I like being prepared but it's always a nice surprise when you don't have to use it!

So long Irma! And don't come back!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0rEsVp5tiDQ" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Kate

Glad all is well by you!! Making sure you always have water to flush the toilets is as important to me as having good filtered bottle water for drinking.
You made the right choice, rather be safe than sorry..good for you!

GLAD IRMA PASSED AWAY FASTER THAN WAS BEING REPORTED. It's called " MEDIA HYPE "! Now the economy is stronger with ALL the money that was spent preparing for what was referred to by CNN... " Florida will look like an Atom Bomb was dropped "!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!