I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briarbabe

Reaction score
Want to know how I know? I'm finally to the point where I just don't give a rats behind about relights. 8) 

Briarbabe":sya8cn09 said:
Want to know how I know? I'm finally to the point where I just don't give a rats behind about relights. 8) 
Your'e on your way for sure ! Good on ya !! :twisted:  :twisted: 

That's one of the stupidest 'measures' in the hobby. The only thing it's useful for is Slow Smoke Competition.
Oh and if you are out of matches. Lol.

I'm with you.

Put me in the same category. I am buying some stock in Colibri Butane!!! :lol!: 

you know i was told this wild urban legend by a old man at a pipe store that stated "your first bowl through a pipe you have to keep lit, don't let it go out till it hits the bottom or it will get to that point in the bowl and it will go out everytime" i have found this to be nonesense i was really upset tho when my pipe went out shortly after i tried too smoke my very first bowl. relights are just part of the joy of pipe smoking is what i discovered

whitepony1986":i9en0ciq said:
you know i was told this wild urban legend by a old man at a pipe store that stated "your first bowl through a pipe you have to keep lit, don't let it go out till it hits the bottom or it will get to that point in the bowl and it will go out everytime" i have found this to be nonesense i was really upset tho when my pipe went out shortly after i tried too smoke my very first bowl. relights are just part of the joy of pipe smoking is what i discovered
:lol: I heard the same thing, years ago. It's a wonder anyone sticks with pipe smoking, what with all the "wisdom" floating around. Someone should compile a list of pipe B.S.

Oh, wait! That's what this forum is for! Never mind. ;)

:lol:

I'll never forget being in my local B&M smoking a pipe when this gasbag of a man came in commenting on all of us kids smoking pipes.   Unsolicited (and wrong) advice abounded.  Noticing many of us calmly and occasionally picking up a lighter or matches for our smokes, he chimed in with: "Keep it lit, that's the way it's done, practice until you get it right."

He then pulls out a couple of Kaywoodie pipes that had blackened holes with a pea-sized opening right at the bottom of each pipe, and turns to ask the worker there if there's a way to fix them.  :lol:

Of course, I mention quietly to my young comrades "...don't try to neurotically keep the pipe lit, maybe?"   :fpalm:

I'll see if one of the workers can take a picture of the pipe and send it to me...I convinced them to keep one of the very dead pipes as a memento for the shop.

Experts are not made simply by time, they're made by learning from observation and failure (even if it isn't their own).  

Enjoy your relighted smokes, Babe.   :cheers:

8)

Progress. Next step is relight. Let the pipe cool down. Don't be too eager to fire it up pronto. Light tamping, if needed. Run a pipe cleaner through it. Then relight the completely cooled down pipe, and you should have a tasty treat just like at the start.

Possibly in the category of I know, I know -- when a pipe wants to go out, just let it do so. Avoid a struggle which gets to the stage where it's gurgling and hot, since, once there, it's better to dump it and start again rather then relight. You've probably discovered that there's no more false economy than trying to smoke wet tobacco.

You're doing really well, I'd say.

Guess I believe I finally "got it" after my 8 yr hiatus from the pipe.

Before that, I got tongue bite so regularly that I couldn't understand why I was doing this. And we're talking major tongue bite that would last into the next day! :x  Retreated into the cigar thing........

After coming back to the pipe when cigars no longer appealed (long story for later), and finding BoB I finally got it through my thick skull that I was smoking too fast and too wet.

Once that simple truth was realized and reading the sage advice here, the rest came easy. Haven't had tongue bite in many years, and I never sweat re-lights.

FWIW!

Cheers,

RR

Hey, if it wasn't for relights, why would anyone buy a $100 Old Boy?

I love mine, and use it often.

KevinM":wkdu09a6 said:
Progress.  Next step is relight. Let the pipe cool down. Don't be too eager to fire it up pronto. Light tamping, if needed. Run a pipe cleaner through it. Then relight the completely cooled down pipe, and you should have a tasty treat just like at the start.
This. And sometimes I do the whole routine if I've been smoking too quickly.

SteveS":f66vb5ks said:
Richard Burley":f66vb5ks said:
Someone should compile a list of pipe B.S.  
Whoa ... that's gonna be one whale of a long list ...
Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r  :cheers: 

SteveS":3p58pzf6 said:
Richard Burley":3p58pzf6 said:
We'll have to make it a committee job because if we entrust it to just one smoker he'll likely exempt the bs he prescribes to personally. Hilarious.

monbla256":c9yrru1s said:
SteveS":c9yrru1s said:
Richard Burley":c9yrru1s said:
Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r   :cheers: 
Now now, Monbla. There's a fine distinction between outright BSing and convincing my 5-year-old nephew that I'm a veteran of the Great Toledo War of 1836.
Or having Kyle convinced that the next blend from Pease's nautical line would be a flake called "Cabin Boy".  :twisted: :p 

George Kaplan":xqucni4r said:
monbla256":xqucni4r said:
SteveS":xqucni4r said:
Richard Burley":xqucni4r said:
Just ask George Kaplan, he's a MASTER BS'r   :cheers: 
Now now, Monbla. There's a fine distinction between outright BSing and convincing my 5-year-old nephew that I'm a veteran of the Great Toledo War of 1836.
Or having Kyle convinced that the next blend from Pease's nautical line would be a flake called "Cabin Boy".  :twisted: :p 
Oooooo George!! We could have sooooo much fun with "Cabin Boy" tobacco  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

Harlock and I really had Kyle going with that one a while back.  :lol!: 
I miss those two.