I am officially a "real" pipe smoker now

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Kaplan":928643v9 said:
Harlock and I really had Kyle going with that one a while back.  :lol!: 
I miss those two.
Yep,
You guys always put a smile on my face reading some of these posts.
Harlock is pretty active on the Smokers Forum UK site where I still read his posts, as for Kyle, I don't remember why he bowed out but hopefully he'll be back here someday.

:D 

I'll have to look up Harlock to say hello. I searched for that old thread but saw he's deleted many of his great pics. I read Kyle's farewell posts and can understand his hiatus. Been through that myself. Hope they're both doing well.

Sounds like enlightenment BB! (no pun intended). I'm sure I touched on this elsewhere...???

The epiphany for every "real" pipe smoker comes when he realizes that pipe smoking is a selfish act--that is, we do not smoke for the benefit of others, but solely our own. Hence, if I derive pleasure from my pipe and tobacco, that is all I seek--not the applause of the crowd or the opinion of "experts." This really is all about me.

ravkesef":wcgfowxa said:
The epiphany for every "real" pipe smoker comes when he realizes that pipe smoking is a selfish act--that is, we do not smoke for the benefit of others, but solely our own.  Hence, if I derive pleasure from my pipe and tobacco, that is all I seek--not the applause of the crowd or the opinion of "experts."  This really is all about me.
Yep, I agree, and would imagine this plays no small part in the rather widespread scorn for pipe smokers. It looks indulgent, because it is. So does premium cigar smoking, but cigars don't have that aura of thoughtfulness, deliberation, and thinking that is commonly attributed to pipe smokers. Two sins: thinking and self-indulgence. The herd likes neither. Puritanism didn't die in America, it merely changed its form--and Puritanism is, per Mencken, "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

Smoking a cigarette is like having sex with a woman of the night, picked up on the corner of the street. Nice while it's lasting but terrible afterwards and also dangerous.

Smoking cigars is like visiting a grand brothel, beautiful "ladies" which are expencive and leave a nasty taste afterwards

Smoking a pipe is a love affair which lasts a lifetime.

SpeedyPete":mheqqy1a said:
Smoking cigars is like visiting a grand brothel, beautiful "ladies" which are expencive and leave a nasty taste afterwards
Not always! Let's be sincere, a good cigar can leave a delicious after taste. Notwithstanding, so can a great blend of natural pipe tobaccos.

Dottie Warden":g165zb3o said:
SpeedyPete":g165zb3o said:
Not always! Let's be sincere, a good cigar can leave a delicious after taste. Notwithstanding, so can a great blend of natural pipe tobaccos.
You are quite right! I also love nice cigars and smoke them often.

What I should have said is, after a smoking a cigar, all that's left is a nice taste in the mouth and an ashtray with some ash in it.

After smoking a bowl of good tobacco, I'm left with some good thoughts, a beautiful taste in my mouth and a pipe which I can keep for a lifetime.

SpeedyPete":96pnjtnx said:
Dottie Warden":96pnjtnx said:
SpeedyPete":96pnjtnx said:
You are quite right!  I also love nice cigars and smoke them often.

What I should have said is, after a smoking a cigar, all that's left is a nice taste in the mouth and an ashtray with some ash in it.

After smoking a bowl of good tobacco, I'm left with some good thoughts, a beautiful taste in my mouth and a pipe which I can keep for a lifetime.
I'm also a pipe smoker that happens to enjoy the occasional cigar as well!

Just finished a bowl of ojk in what I'm going to call a petit bent billiard. The tobacco was tinder dry. 6 matches.

At first I thought relights were an indicator I had done something wrong, packed too tight etc. Didn't take too long to realize only one of those things is actually a problem. After that came the realization a quick relight is better than puffing hard to try and bring some life back to a weak ember to get things going again. Enjoy!!

Gonzo":qjeaq9uh said:
At first I thought relights were an indicator I had done something wrong, packed too tight etc. Didn't take too long to realize only one of those things is actually a problem. After that came the realization a quick relight is better than puffing hard to try and bring some life back to a weak ember to get things going again. Enjoy!!
And there ya go!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR