I blame Monbla.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
For constantly raving about Mcclellands 2000 Fragrant Matured cake. I tried it, ended up buying a half pound, will probably put up a few pounds of this stuff. Presently smoking some in a Peterson Molly Malone bent brandy. Starts off with a sweet maple/toffee kind of flavor over a zesty Mcclelland virginia base. Before too long it becomes a really nice ginnyweed smoke with the sweetness and flavor moving well back into the background and producing some very well balanced depth. This stuff is great! A virginia cake/broken flake that is enhanced by it's topping rather than a topping that happens to be put on some marginal tobacco.

I rank this right up with GH & co Black and Brown, which is also a damned good tobacco that has a nice topping added to it.

As an aside, I also got in some Mcclelland 5120 fragrant virginia, which is a different animal from FM 2000. This stuff is barely topped (I detect a very faint sweetness that doesn't seem to come from the component tobaccos) and appears to be mainly 5100 Red Cake mixed with 5105 Stoved Black Virginia. This is a smokier tobacco (from the stoved black virginia) and is more simple and straightforward, but is a very fine and enjoyable smoke. Will be interesting to see how this matures with some jar time.

Thanks for the heads up Puff! I have not sampled any of the offerings you have mentioned, but your descriptions make them sound like something I would enjoy putting into regular rotation.

2000 has become one of my favorites. It ages well in my opinion, currently I'm dipping into the pound I bought in 2011 and should have bought more. Another "off the radar" tobacco ,,,SHHHH.

I smoke at least two bowls of it every day and I looooove how it builds the type of cake that I like in a "new" pipe when "breaking in" !! And it just proves that ketchup and Va's are truly FANTASTIC !! :twisted: :twisted: I can recomend three other McC's ginny weed blends that I always smoke, 5100 Red Cake, 2010 Classic Virginia and 5115 Old World Classic. Straight Va's/ketchup at their best !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Every time I light up a bowl of 2000 I ask myself, "Why would anyone want an aromatic when they can have this?" Anyone within earshot might think me odd, but there it is.

Richard Burley":j36qzuty said:
Every time I light up a bowl of 2000 I ask myself, "Why would anyone want an aromatic when they can have this?" Anyone within earshot might think me odd, but there it is.
Im guessing people might think your odd out of earshot as well, Richard :lol!:
Of course it aint like you got a corner on that particular market, at least not around here. ;)

Fumus":oymmcn6c said:
Richard Burley":oymmcn6c said:
Im guessing people might think your odd out of earshot as well, Richard :lol!:
Of course it aint like you got a corner on that particular market, at least not around here. ;)
Ouch, touche, and all that! It is a good tobacco though; I'd call it a sine qua non if I had my wits about me. ;)

I was digging this topic until that ketchup thing came up. Shame too as McClellends are otherwise top notch.

I never picked up the dreaded, foul taste in the Grand Orientals or Dark Star or in ANY other blending house, so what gives with it, anyway?

FMC 2000 seems to escape the typical ketchup issue, likely because it is a bulk, I believe. Before my tongue started to actively rebel against nearly any McC mix or blend, FMC 2000 and Dark Star were go-to things for me.

Meanwhile...from the archives--

Ask G.L. Pease":kaiqf0je said:
H.R. writes: Many have commented on the "ketchup" odor of certain Virginia blends, the result of vinegar produced during fermentation. (I always noticed a pronounced "dill pickle" aroma in the old Sullivan Powell’s Gentleman’s Mixture.) Do tobacco processors and blenders use specifically chosen yeast, acetobacter or lactobacillus cultures to engender the results they want, or are they just letting nature take its course, as did the winemakers, brewers and bakers of old? Has anyone ever tried using Dekkera/Brettanomyces to produce a "Belgian" style pressed Virginia flake?

A: Personally, I’ve never quite been able to grok the "ketchup" thing. Certainly, there are some tobaccos that exhibit an acetic aroma, and with some expansion of the imagination, I might be able to find something akin to BBQ sauce on occasion, or perhaps Branston Pickle, but not ketchup. I’ve even gone so far as to open a bottle of ketchup and compare its aroma side-by-side with that of the most infamous of "ketchup" tobaccos, and I still don’t get it. I think people confuse their condiments, sometimes. Next thing you know, it’ll be mustard, and arguments will ensue over whether it’s Dijon or yellow.

More seriously, you’re right in that fermentation is the cause of this notable aroma, whatever someone may choose to call it. To the best of my knowledge, blending houses don’t inoculate their tobaccos with specific microflora in order to get these effects, but rely on the wild yeasts and bacteria that are present in their environment. One one occasion, I managed to recreate a similar effect, albeit accidentally, so I’m quite sure it’s not the result of any sort of additives; just the natural process that tobacco goes through under certain controlled conditions.
8)

Aristokles":ap375afz said:
I was digging this topic until that ketchup thing came up. Shame too as McClellends are otherwise top notch.

I never picked up the dreaded, foul taste in the Grand Orientals or Dark Star or in ANY other blending house, so what gives with it, anyway?
Having members of my father's family that were tobacco farmers in N. Carolina, I recall the distinctive aroma everyone calls "ketchup" when I went to the tobacco auction barns in Durham when my Uncle sold his crop. It was usually given off by the piles of Flue Cured Red Va's  and was due to the processing of the raw tobacco not ANYTHING to do with ANY additive!! As far as a "ketchup" aroma or flavor in McC's Red Va's, I've NEVER encountered THAT but I will give you that it has a strong acetic/vinegerish aroma but that does NOT come thru in the flavor IMHO !! :twisted: The power of suggestion is and can be VERY STRONG !! :twisted: :twisted: And since all the experts INSIST on the ketchup thing I just go along to get along ! :twisted: :twisted:

I'm somewhat familiar with 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake. Found it pretty sweet for me, almost aromatic as well. Not that that's a bad thing. Just that it was borderline too sweet for me. I don't eat sweets so perhaps that enters into it.

5100 is a go-to and as sweet as I need a 'baccy to be.

Not had the others Michael spoke of (2010, 5115) or PD mentioned (5120). Need to check them out at some point.

Cheers,

RR

<edit - I hasten to add this is not a mooch attempt!>

monbla256":4mfk69nn said:
Aristokles":4mfk69nn said:

Having members of my father's family that were tobacco farmers in N. Carolina, I recall the distinctive aroma everyone calls "ketchup" when I went to the tobacco auction barns in Durham when my Uncle sold his crop. It was usually given off by the piles of Flue Cured Red Va's  and was due to the processing of the raw tobacco not ANYTHING to do with ANY additive!! As far as a "ketchup" aroma or flavor in McC's Red Va's, I've NEVER encountered THAT but I will give you that it has a strong acetic/vinegerish aroma but that does NOT come thru in the flavor IMHO !! :twisted: The power of suggestion is and can be VERY STRONG !! :twisted: :twisted: And since all the experts INSIST on the ketchup thing I just go along to get along ! :twisted: :twisted:
All well and good for your humble opinion, but you did not address the fact hat NO other blender gets "dissed" for the aspect. In MY experience the aroma comes through in McClellend's blends in varying degrees - sometimes only in aroma, sometimes (and this is when I hate it) in both aroma and palate.

What other blending house displays this oddity?

Aristokles":7z786rds said:
monbla256":7z786rds said:
Aristokles":7z786rds said:

All well and good for your humble opinion, but you did not address the fact hat NO other blender gets "dissed" for the aspect. In MY experience the aroma comes through in McClellend's blends in varying degrees - sometimes only in aroma, sometimes (and this is when I hate it) in both aroma and palate.

What other blending house displays this oddity?
McCranie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake and in the 20+ years I've smoked McC's blends, I have found NONE to smell nor taste like any ketchup I have in my frig !! :twisted: :twisted: But if you say it dos, then I guess it does !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Please don't try and use rationale with Monbla, especially in realms outside his jurisdiction, as it becomes an inevitable game of circular wills. PeeD had to go and headline his name and give him some credit, and new feathers stay firmly in old caps, as the saying goes. :lol:

It's just best to nod, agree with him, and let him have his day in the sun. :heart:

8)

Kyle Weiss":qx3jfbge said:
Please don't try and use rationale with Monbla, especially in realms outside his jurisdiction, as it becomes an inevitable game of circular wills.    PeeD had to go and headline his name and give him some credit, and new feathers stay firmly in old caps, as the saying goes.   :lol:  

It's just best to nod, agree with him, and let him have his day in the sun.   :heart:  

8)
I stand corrected by much more experienced experts. :twisted: :twisted:

Kyle Weiss":ulfel8ox said:
Please don't try and use rationale with Monbla, especially in realms outside his jurisdiction, as it becomes an inevitable game of circular wills. PeeD had to go and headline his name and give him some credit, and new feathers stay firmly in old caps, as the saying goes. :lol:

It's just best to nod, agree with him, and let him have his day in the sun. :heart:

8)
Seems like good advice. I can't imagine the twist in his knickers when I tell him McClelland blended McCranie's. It ain't worth the bandwidth.

Aristokles":z8qqnxu7 said:
Kyle Weiss":z8qqnxu7 said:
Please don't try and use rationale with Monbla, especially in realms outside his jurisdiction, as it becomes an inevitable game of circular wills.    PeeD had to go and headline his name and give him some credit, and new feathers stay firmly in old caps, as the saying goes.   :lol:  

It's just best to nod, agree with him, and let him have his day in the sun.   :heart:  

8)
Seems like good advice. I can't imagine the twist in his knickers when I tell him McClelland blended McCranie's. It ain't worth the bandwidth.
BTW, I've heard that as well, but McCranuies says they don't, Who ya gonna believe in this world ? :twisted: :twisted:

Hmmm. I have a little bit of FM 2000 stashed away, I'll have to revisit it. I remember being somewhat underwhelmed by it, but I usually feel that way about McClelland VA's when I first try them.

Just an idle thought while reading this, because that's what I do: has anyone here actually done an actual side-by-side sniff test with an actual bottle of catsup and an actual representative McClellend blend? (I have not.)

And a follow-up: anyone know of a McClelland blend that has a nice, subdued Sriracha sauce scent?

Richard Burley":pylazn64 said:
Just an idle thought while reading this, because that's what I do: has anyone here actually done an actual side-by-side sniff test with an actual bottle of catsup and an actual representative McClellend blend? (I have not.)

And a follow-up: anyone know of a McClelland blend that has a nice, subdued Sriracha sauce scent?
After all the "ketchup scent/taste" thing awhile back I did. IMHO and what MY nose smelled, they are both ascerbic in overall scent I'd say ( once again this merely my OPINION, NOT FACT) but NOT the SAME. Nor do they taste anywhere near alike but this is merely my INTERPRETATION, NOT FACT !! Check with Kyle and Aristockles as they are the EXPERTS in this !! :twisted: :twisted: And a Sirachia scented/flavored 'baccy would be GREAT !! Talk about BITE !! :twisted: :twisted: Check over on TR as I'm sure one of those EXPERTS over there has probably found one !! :twisted: :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.