i did try and google this! no luck.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
what is navy flake? i've seen lots of manufactures offer a navy flake. what makes it a navy flake vs some other kind of flake? thanks for helping out the newbies.

I seem to remember a thread on this somewhere but can't find it. If I remember rightly, it is supposed to be the addition of rum to the tobacco. But, having said that, I'm very aware of navy flakes without rum - Escudo for instance. Another viewpoint is that sailors tobacco was stored in barrels (doused with rum) as ropes, with rations simply cut off the rope. This would qualify Escudo.

Good question.... unfortunately Navy Flake is very much a muddled term not unlike Cavendish.... even more unfortunate is the fact that it is very possible to define Cavendish if one chooses it is probably impossible to define what exactly is a navy flake....

Virginia/perique
Virginia/ burley
rum soaked Virginia
rum soaked burley
and even one Virginia/latakia blend

All defined as navy flake, all with camps that will insisted theirs is the right interpretation...

Good luck on finding an answer that actually answers the question...lo

bruins":jf6zgz5j said:
what is navy flake? i've seen lots of manufactures offer a navy flake. what makes it a navy flake vs some other kind of flake? thanks for helping out the newbies.
bruins try searching the term Navy Blend vs Navy Flake.. From what I remember reading it was stored in barrels which were done holding rum.. Jamaica Rum for the most part and it was called Sailors Rum also.. :cheers:
Chuck..

escudo has been my only navy flake experience. but i see them show up in a lot of 'favorite tobacco' listings. sounds good to me! a hint of rum, YUM! i'll have to pursue them.

thanks for the answers!

Historically speaking, the most plausible/probable genesis of the term arose more from the mechanical process than from the actual blend.
In the old days the average sailor had to carry everything he owned in his ditty bag. He was lucky if he had one pair of shoes, and spent much of his time on deck
bare foot.. hence the need to Holy Stone the wooden decks.
{ pumice blocks to sand out slivers }.
Space on these old ships was scarce and preference was give to revenue generating cargo. Tobacco was pressed to reduce volume, Rum was added not as flavoring
but as a hedge against mold, weevils & worms that plagued the sailors of 300 years ago.

old_salt":nhslnyl3 said:
Historically speaking, the most plausible/probable genesis of the term arose more from the mechanical process than from the actual blend.
In the old days the average sailor had to carry everything he owned in his ditty bag. He was lucky if he had one pair of shoes, and spent much of his time on deck
bare foot.. hence the need to Holy Stone the wooden decks.
{ pumice blocks to sand out slivers }.
Space on these old ships was scarce and preference was give to revenue generating cargo. Tobacco was pressed to reduce volume, Rum was added not as flavoring
but as a hedge against mold, weevils & worms that plagued the sailors of 300 years ago.
Good stuff old salt.......fascinating really, got any more cool old ship tid-bits?

PeaCoat01.jpg

I thought Navy flake was wearing a Pea Coat when you have dandruff. hmm maybe the pic isn't a good example.

Falconer":ii4rcotm said:
PeaCoat01.jpg

I thought Navy flake was wearing a Pea Coat when you have dandruff. hmm maybe the pic isn't a good example.
who is that fella?

Falconer":mjoqetyi said:
PeaCoat01.jpg

I'm not sure of his name but I think he's a hit man after those who attempt to find the secret to the whole scotch making process. :suspect: :lol!:

ahh. i wondered if he was you many many many years ago, or perhaps a son-in-law. nice pea coat though. i like me a nice pea coat.

That coat looks eerily familiar. I was handed one in boot camp and even (perhaps especially) after being out for five years now it is still my favorite winter coat. I have had to order a few buttons and resew them and had to get a tear repaired, but it is well worth it. I think I need to wear the coat while smoking some navy flake to make sure it has the proper aroma woven into it. :D

Damn you okes talk KAK!!

Mudd, thats interesting stuff bro, thanks for sharing!!