I do weird things w my tamper.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Pretty sure this isn't normal. I keep hearing that you should tamp *very* lightly, just hard enough to collapse the embers and ash down onto the fresh tobacco.

I do the three-stage pack method for now. I only push down around the edges for the two hard pack stages. I've noticed as I smoke, the draw gets looser. Quite loose, nearly back to zero. I tamp quite hard, to maintain the draw constant all the way. Again, I only push down around the very outside, leaving a hump in the middle.

I get TONS of cool, flavourful smoke, feel "in the zone" for quite long bits of time, and only need to relight a few times. Couple times I only relit twice. It may be weird, but it really works.

However, I want to try to do it the "right way" (Had to get my industrial, oil drum sized opener out for that monster can of worms! ;) ). Suffice to say I'd like to learn to pack and tamp the way to get the most of my tobacco enjoyment, and that involves not just doing it "my way", but trying what works for others and seeing which I prefer.

Is this normal? Should my pack be tighter, such that the draw stays constant without using the tamper to keep it firm? Or does the draw loosen up shortly after first light, and you just leave it loose? Thoughts/comments/barrage of insults?

Why change something that works for you?

Is there a right/wrong way that would work better?  Doesn't sound like it.

If something is working, and it is contrary to status-quo, the status-quo can go to hell. :heart:

Everything from tamping, packing, puffing...it's an art form. It's YOUR art form. If your masterpiece is enjoyment, then you're already on the right track.

Sometimes certain pipes require a bit of a packing deviation from the others. Sometimes they require different tamping as they are smoked, depending on the tobacco.

Sounds like to me you're pretty detailed about this stuff, Northern. Nothing wrong with that. My advice? Keep a daily "pipe log." Find a system of what pipe, what tobacco, how you treated it and what results you got. I did this for over a year, until I noticed for two months I was getting more than satisfactory results, because I found a rhythm that worked. Hell, I even kept note of the weather and temperature (as I prefer smoking outside).

Think of us as road stops on the highway to your smoking enjoyment. 1,000 different versions of directions of where to go next, but ultimately--you're in the driver's seat, homey. :D

8)

Sounds like you do the same as me and I've had no problems. I trickle in my flake tamp down to about half way but, leaving the tobacco still springy. Light tamp a bit and smoke and as it goes down I tamp lightly, maybe about 3 or 4 times during a smoke. I may have to relight once, twice maybe three times just because I tend to day dream.
When I have a bowl of Escudo that hasn't been screwed up by the blender (anything before 7/2013) I enjoy the whole bowl down to the bottom.
Now you've done it, I'll have to load another bowl now and enjoy.

I never even owned a tamper for the first 20 years or so of smoking a pipe. In the interests of full disclosure, I used my finger from time to time. It is pretty much what works for you.

There are lots of "rules" pipe smokers have about various things. I know I am supposed to rest/air/whatever my pipes between smokes. The ones I like will get smoked every day and honestly, they seem to smoke better that way. Sometimes I go on a tear, and I am doing something. I will smoke one of them three times in a row, and I have not come to destruction or had problems with a sour pipe.

At the end of the day, you do what you like. There are well considered opinions which may not be the same as yours, but who cares? It is your pipe.

Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries!

What? You said barrage of insults was an option. ;)

Briarbabe":g6wg210z said:
So little respect for the classics. What's the world coming to?  But what could you expect from a mother in army boots?

(If you change your avatar, I'll look like a bigger idiot.)

JKenP":ht62nzl1 said:
Briarbabe":ht62nzl1 said:
So little respect for the classics. What's the world coming to?  But what could you expect from a mother in army boots?

(If you change your avatar, I'll look like a bigger idiot.)
Oi! Those are lovely suede Wellies sir, not army boots. And now I'm half tempted to change my avatar. Touché young man.

i tamp like that when i smoke shag. works well. been doing the tamp the edges and leave a dome thing for a bit, and i have been having better smokes with a more even coal/cherry/ember/whatever

Briarbabe":60ktdm5z said:

What? You said barrage of insults was an option. ;)
That totally made my day seeing that, not so many Monty Python fans around any more. :cheers: 

For those who don't get the reference, have a butchers at this.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9V7zbWNznbs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with Fr. Tom. My finger always seems closer than the tamper(s). Have to admit though that the tamper is far more purpose oriented and unavoidable at times.

First off, LOOSE the idea of a "right way" there is only ONE WAY and that is the way that WORKS FOR YOU! The variations of manner of smoking a pipe are legion and varied as are the pipes, tobacco's and folks who smoke 'em. Who gives a damn HOW YOU do it if it is a way that WORKS FOR YOU !!:twisted: