I have given up cigarettes - quick pipe tobacco question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teadrinker

Reaction score
Yes. Eight weeks and counting. I'm on nicotine lozenges - the NHS is helping me to quit cigarettes.

However, yesterday I got an urge for a pipe so I bought some tobacco. My question is this: how much nicotine is in a typical pipe? When I smoke a cigarette, it helps the craving for a bit but then the craving gets worse. However, a pipe soothes and relaxes me without making the craving worse afterwards.

Thanks, chaps.

Nicotine content varies significantly, and I would check tobaccoreviews.com to get an idea about the nicotine content of a blend you're considering.

As a general rule of thumb, aromatics are usually rather low in nicotine, and full smokes are almost always on the strong side.

If you're looking for strength, and you like the taste of burley tobacco (which is common leaf for cigarettes), along with cost effectiveness, I'm told that 5 Brothers will fit the bill perfectly.

If you've a tobacconist in your area, I'd ask him for one English/Balkan mixture and one Virginia (Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or Best brown Flake should do nicely). See how those suit your taste and satisfy your "Vitamin N" craving, and go from there.

Happy Landings :D

:face:

I tried an e-cig last year at my brother's recommendation. It satisfies the nicotine craving but is to even a roll-up what McDonalds is to a steak. I decided "to Hell with it" today and am smoking some Clan with a beer or two - feeling a bit miffed that while my brother is sleeping off a baggie of Bolivian marching powder and a bottle of vodka and my mum's on enough prescription medicine to anaesthetise a bull elephant (including OxyContin, which is basically heroin in slow-release tablets), I'm the one who'll be in trouble tomorrow for smoking a pipe or two. Not that I object to my mum's prescription meds - without them she'd be in serious pain - but that or Bolivian marching powder against Clan Aromatic?

Ah well, to Hell with it. Deal with it tomorrow.

PS. Have promised myself a tin of Early Morning Pipe and a bag of corncobs if the benefits tribunal decides in my favour on Monday.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Teadrinker.

Teadrinker":m15td7ij said:
Yes. Eight weeks and counting. I'm on nicotine lozenges - the NHS is helping me to quit cigarettes.

However, yesterday I got an urge for a pipe so I bought some tobacco. My question is this: how much nicotine is in a typical pipe? When I smoke a cigarette, it helps the craving for a bit but then the craving gets worse. However, a pipe soothes and relaxes me without making the craving worse afterwards.

Thanks, chaps.
First off, Nicotine is present in ALL tobacco. The levels that ones body ingests is somewhat dependent on the type for sure. The other thing is that when you "smoke" cigs, most folks INHALE the smoke and the body absorbs MORE of the nicotine that is in the smoke of a cig. Most pipe smokers DO NOT inhale so a certain amount of the nic hit one gets is diminished for sure. So if you are looking for the pipe to replace your nicotine absorbtion, even with blends that are known to have a big hit of it, you will not get the same amount as a cig if you DO NOT inhale. You will get some of the side effects of the nicotine contained in ALL tobaccos on your lips, inner surfaces of the mouth etc, as you do from a cigartte, but your lungs will not ( if you don't inhale). If you can bring yourself to "sip" your pipe SLOWLY and want a big nic hit try a tins worth of Dunhill Royal Yacht. I smoke it when I want the hit of a lot of nicotine in my smoke.

Trying the opposite, actually - to get the sensation of smoking and a more favourable room-feel (after 15 years of spending time in smoke filled rooms, clear air feels wrong somehow) without that much of a nicotine hit. I figure if you chaps can manage on a few bowls a day, I might be able to stabilize at that level, rather than going from one joyless rollup to the next. The NHS won't give me much more nicotine replacement therapy anyway (curse the Tory cuts!) so if I'm going to be spending money on nicotine I might as well enjoy it. In politicalese, giving up smoking completely is an aspiration, giving up rollups is a commitment. A pipe soothes and calms, a lozenge just cuts the craving for a bit.

I quit cigs many years ago and find a pipe to be quite different.

Never have I felt that need to smoke that cigs generate.

Also remember that if you're smoking indoors you will be getting a dose of second hand smoke. I've never smoked cigarettes but grew up around them in my family and spent most of my 20's in bars and nightclubs as a musician and night owl. I know what you mean by fresh air feeling odd. :)

If you're smoking a pipe to limit inhalation, you may want to make sure you're room is well ventilated. I smoke outside for that reason and I like just being outside.

From what I've read from and discussed others, smoking a pipe is the wrong way to quit cigarettes. If you're going to quit... quit. I know it's a beast. You may want to try to detox first though, then introduce smoking a pipe.

"the only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd druther not." ~ Mark Twain

Being in the UK you have easy access to a good smoking cessation product. Snuff!!!

Wilsons, Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth and the new kid on the block Toque.

Snuff and pipes are both very enjoyable. :D

I think when I tried to quit smoking cigarettes by switching to a pipe if I had tried GH Dark Flake, Peterson's Irish FLake or some of the twist I might have managed it.