I have seeds.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco pony

Reaction score
I have an envelope with about a teaspoon full of seeds. I want to experimen with growing some toby. My big problem is not the growing but the curing. How would ya recomend a fella cure his homegrown baccy. I dont know how much will yeld from this amount of seed, but it would be nice for some good fun.

Whole Leaf is a great site. You'll also want to look into a kiln to ferment the leaf after color curing. All kinds of examples on google and such.

Im talking small scale, and possibly one time . Depending on the difficulty level. At most hobby level.

You can scale to the size you need. A crockpot, thermometer/hygrometer, and a small non working fridge or freezer will get it done at minimal expense and fuss.

I just want priciples like ......well, example.
Harvest tobacco when it looks like ____.
Let dry at x temp for x amount of time should look ____.
Place in kiln at x temp for x amount of time ___.
Or smoke in smoker over such and such wood at x temp for x time
To add aromatic flavor and smell place toby in x container with or what ever you get the idea.

That would be nice if you could just plug in the info , but you're dealing with organic matter in YOUR specific climate.
Different moisture levels and thickness/size of the leaf as well as humidity/temp all affect the drying process and coloring as well as where the leaf grew on the stalk.

Once it's in the kiln you have general guidlines you can follow,,,(hrs @ temp&humidity) and some pretty solid indicators of progress,,,ammonia odor, color,,,,but getting to that point is one of the sticky parts and requires adjustment to your technique according to the variables.

To be honest, it's not an exact science and even referencing detailed notes from previous years I had to wing it every time. There's a lot to learn at each step, (grow, dry, cure, top/case, cut )  just have patience, read everything you can for info and use your head.

Take notes and have fun, at the end of your experiment you'll have a different appreciation for the tins of tobacco that you buy off the shelf.

Like Mark said, everything will vary based on the type of leaf, climate, etc. For example, I had to stalk cure (dry) all my plants because I live in a very dry climate. The leafs that I hung on their own dried too quickly and kept their green pigment. The plant where I harvested the entire stalk dried to a nice golden brown.

Also, I spent about 1/2 a year researching everything under the sun before I tried growing my own, and in the end, I had to adjust everything to work for my climate. Gather information and knowledge, but remember that you will have to make adjustments. There is no "set way" to growing tobacco.

Go to the whole leaf tobacco website. You might find some people in your region who can give you more specific advise.

Most of the guys on whole leaf forum are hobbyist, three are some guys who grow and sell whole leaf on there, and they know how to do three things for asking for