I just tried Balkan Sobranie (JF Germain)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I've done a lot of "trying" this weekend. There was a Tinder Box Pipe Party, and then a run to Sacramento to hang out at Tobacco Road, there were baseball games, people off work--I really needed the distraction.

So, it finally came down to this: the revered (new version of) Balkan Sobranie. From the recoil and hiss that came from "those who knew how this was" years ago, I wasn't weighed down by lofty expectations. It's one of the footloose and fancy-free advantages of being a newer smoker--no standards! :D Well, a few, anyway.

A guy at the Tinder Box, Kevin, brought in a tin he scored. We opened it. There was one guy who had the original mixture years ago, and the other three of us who were embarking on new territory. The smell in the tin was unlike anything I'd experienced...almost a briny, seaweed and "tidepool" smell to it--how odd! The Latakia doesn't jump right out, and there's a hint of Virginia down there.

It's cut somewhere between shag and ribbon, and needed a bit of drying out before being loaded into a pipe. On first light, that sense of "ocean" disappeared, and what replaced it was interesting...extremely mild, but full-flavored, earthy and pleasantly swampy flavors (think fall leaves after a rainstorm), a hint of Latakia, and a good balance of aged sweetness from Virginia, plus some brighter Virginias mixed in. Have you ever tasted canned grape leaves used in Mediterranean cooking? Take those and mix in a little caper (yes, with the salty notion), add some Latakia and good Virginia, and you have the rough idea. There's a gentleness I dug. It's very complex, and very true-smoking throughout the bowl. DGT was very good, but rather than changing the flavor, it intensified them. Nicotine level was moderate.

I had no idea what to expect from this stuff, between the legend and the expectations, and even if this was going to be aged, a real "mixture," broken flakes--I truly was in "adventure mode." The experienced smoker among us said truthfully he couldn't remember what the original was like, but really enjoyed the bowl--as did the rest of us, ranging from greenhorn newbie, to barely intermediate like myself.

It was a fascinating smoke. Nothing I've smoked before is quite like this, which is what often marks the start of an exciting relationship. While I don't think every person should rush right out and buy it, if you like curious-smelling, unique, complex and full but yet oddly mild tobacco, this might be for you. For certain, it's one of those I'm going to have to smoke quite a bit of to "get it," but my first walk through the threshold (and shadow) of a true legend was very promising.

8)

I liked it for sure. The mix of the latikia and orientals was great. But- you can't get it anywhere since it's all sold out.

Gawith makes a version of their own and I ordered three ounces. Some are saying, as I lurk around online that Gawith's version is more like the original.

Nice, nice review Kyle. Sounds like the "new stuff" may be worth getting and smoking :p I was not a big fan of the white can BS prefering the Gold/Black can of the 759 "back in the day" as you guys say, but since they've not resurected that version I'll have to see about getting some of this. One blend that is currently made and is closest to the 759 is Peretti's Royal Blend :p Thanks for the review :p

Monbla, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this, being an "old tongue" and all. :lol: But honestly, I think even Mr. Pease suggested (wisely) that this isn't the old mixture--it's should stand on its own for what it is--and it does so pretty darned well.

8)

Kyle Weiss":rhk5fzb0 said:
Monbla, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this, being an "old tongue" and all. :lol: But honestly, I think even Mr. Pease suggested (wisely) that this isn't the old mixture--it's should stand on its own for what it is--and it does so pretty darned well.

8)
I would heartily agree with Greg. As he has pointed out so well in his article about it, the White Can formula changed over the time it was produced due to many factors not the least was the availability of the various varieties of leaf used in it. The same could be said for 759 and I'd have to agree as I encountered it's changing over the time I smoked it. I to would take the current BS as a tobacco "in it's own right" as is made today and enjoy it for just that :p And I'd have to say that the Royal Blend is "closest" to the 759 that I last smoked before it was stopped being made. Not exactly the same, no way that could ever be for it or the white can and to expect that from ANY blend is ludicrous as NO ONE has access to the EXACT SAME leaf as was used at the time these blends were in there heyday. Close but not the same :p So I would smoke it for what it is now. :p

Kyle,
You may be a "newer smoker" but you have an exceptional palate and a great talent for expressing tasting notes. Your review was spot on and IMO you will come to enjoy this blend more than you realize. This is a blend that brings back memories of the fine vintage leaf from years ago. A couple others that are similar IMO are Three Oaks Original, and Wilderness. Though they are completely different blends they give me the aroma, taste and satisfaction of old time blends. Thanks for the review. :cheers:

Never much liked BS White back in the day. A friend sent me a tin of Balkan Sasieni when that came out though, and that nailed the flavor, which probably hinged on casing/additives, because the original was, literally, black & white ribbons, with very few browns (hence the color scheme of the tin, I suspect). All the Sasieni lacked was the weight of the original -- it was BS Light. The newer stuff I can't speak of, from ignorance.

FWIW

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

:face:

Mon: Differences in leaf aside, there's something I've noticed among smokers of yore that comment on today's blends, and that's consistency. I suspect it has something to do with places switching up growers/producers and even the places they age, mix and treat the batches, so there's even more layers of differences that can enter into the equation. There may be a lot of tobaccos on the market, but there sure is a difference in even the same tin of stuff (I've noticed, anyway) with the same label from different years. Rattrays "blended for" vs "blended by," Orlik vs the defunct Murrays...I've sworn I could tell the difference between McClelland stuff that are five years versus eight years apart (from samples given, tins on hand)...but could be age, too. So many variables. I just find the right pipe and the right tin, and if it all works, consider myself fortunate. Like eating at a restaurant and only managing to get the brilliant cook, on his game, at 8pm on a Tuesday--the rest is up to chance. C&D via Greg Pease does a fine job at consistency, in my humble "O."

Doc: Thank you. My ears, nose and tongue give me fits from being overly sensitive, but they have the advantage of seeking out what I like. Plus, I really, really enjoy this hobby. It's saved me from some pretty dark episodes in just a year's time. The people who share this hobby are also a godsend. :)

Yak: If you're curious, you need but ask. I know you have your simple rotation that you've perfected for your enjoyment, but...offer's there.

8)

How nice it was when I could walk into the town pipe shop and buy a B&W tin of BS. As I recall, a sure sign of the real thing, in addition to the weight of its wonderful smokiness, was that it tasted creamy. And the pipe I dedicated to it could be "smoked" empty. (It was a Pete.) All I had to do for a 5-minute smoke was to take the pipe off the rack and sip it. But enough of that, the modern verion muast stand on its own, and Kyle's review lends encouragement.

Hey Kyle, the first tin is half full. I've been checking pipes&cigars,com regularly for a resupply.
-Kevin

melahn52":by5raps9 said:
Hey Kyle, the first tin is half full. I've been checking pipes&cigars,com regularly for a resupply.
-Kevin
:cheers: Glad to see you stop by, Kevin!

I remember liking the B&W pouches back about 10 yrs ago before I went on my pipe hiatus. Think there was a tin involved as well.

Back then I was groovin' on tins of Bengal Slices, which went oos as soon as I was getting into them. BS was a reasonable substitute iirc.

Or am I talking whole loads of rubbish?

In any case my tastes have done a 180 since then. Not much into Lat heavy blends these days.

<shrug>

Cheers,

RR

Buddy I met on G+ posted about this and sent me a sample in the mail. Had it tonight for the first time. I found it was a right tasty blend and a nice vitamin N kick without being over powering. If I find it, I will buy it.