I just tried Cornell & Diehl's Billy Budd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Good gracious, have I been diving into some flavor powerhouse tobaccos lately!

Dave_In_Philly, during my recent bombing, kindly sent me some of this stuff neatly put into a small jar. Through the rubble, I finally was able to get the gumption to throw some into my morta poker and give it a go.

Fortunately, my non-veteran's tongue and enthusiastic willingness to try new stuff were able to play nicely with each other, and I find I'm very into strong flavors of certain tobaccos: especially those that come from the minds over at C&D and from Mr. Pease. In fact, I'm starting to notice trends in certain tobacco companies, and Billy Budd fits right in with the C&D/GLP school of tabak.

After recently trying GLP Sextant, and Jackknife Plug being a favorite of mine for the last few months, Pirate Kake pleasing my need for a good dose of Cyprian Latakia, Billy Budd was an excellent choice in my lineup for stuff to try and in just the right genre for my current interests. I do realize getting a handle on tobacco takes a while, perhaps a tin or two, but first impressions have led my tongue through cooking, espresso, whiskey and now the wonderful world of tobacco. I deny having a "golden tongue" as someone recently complimented me, but I'm a determined mambajamba, and I know what I like. Evolving thoughts and experiences are part of the experience, and it's a great time to be a "pipe n00b."

Billy Budd is pretty generously dosed with Latakia, but there's a smell to it that's spicy and exotic. Dave's sample he gave me was just the right dryness I prefer. The chunky nature of BB is one I'm into, and I know just how to load and treat the stuff to gain some advantage in bringing out the flavor.

The first light thumped Latakia--I expected no less. Immediately following dropped down into a mellow, meaty and spicy cigar note--the kind I like--and really was the major player in this blend to the end (as I'll get into). What I didn't expect was the peaty, earthy and rich sweetness that builds the structure for this mixture. There was also no mistake of Burley being in here, as an almost faintly floral and mint-like alkalinity coats the tongue--also something I like--that made me wonder if there wasn't a hint of Perique in the blend. There is no Perique, by the way. The Latakia plays a much lesser role about halfway through the bowl, where the flavors mellow into a complex, savory and thick smoke. Lady "N" asks you kindly to put the stuff down once in a while, which then wowed me with the wonderful DGT (delayed gratification technique) that is brilliant with this stuff as well. Some of the coolest-smoking tobacco I've ever had.

I find a lot of cigar mixes, no matter whose they are, seem to burn a little quicker than others that lack this kind of leaf. It helps control the rate of combustion, and gives a buffer of flavor that I seem to really enjoy. I'm not much a cigar smoker, but I really do like cigar leaf in a pipe, it turns out!

Reminiscent of a strong Penzance, the mellowness and thickness of Storm Front, the nuttiness of any given good Burley, and to top it off, a strength of balances spiciness will make this one I pick up again. Not for the faint of heart, but easy to get a handle on if you're new and adventurous like I am. I smoked this in the morning with just a cup of water, but I can see this pairing up oh-so-nicely with a summer evening dram scotch or rye whiskey.

8)

Nice Review. It's always interesting to read what fellow pipers think of BB.

I had one truly sublime experience smoking Billy Budd, but after another 2 ounces, I have been unable to find that same mojo with it again. Perhaps it was the newness of the flavors or maybe it was something more technical like the perfectly packed bowl of evenly distributed tobacco particulates mixed with a sunny happy-loving mindset. Whatever it was, it sure was fleeting for me because whenever I smoke it now I find myself wishing I was smoking something else, like a good cigar or anything less palate pounding for that matter.

I put the rest away in a jar to come back to at a later time.

I hope it stays as good as this morning's smoke. I truly do.

8)

Kyle Weiss":jo3o38dl said:
I hope it stays as good as this morning's smoke. I truly do.

8)
Kyle, After reading your review, I decided to unearth my jar of Billy and give it ago tonight.

I learned something from your review. The the only analogy I can think of is that this is one of those Mike Tyson blends. You know, "If you can survive the first few rounds?" Anyway, I reached that pay off point with it, passed the part where the Latakia smashes your skull and the cigar leaf gives you the lump in the back of your throat, like when lady N set the drip way too high.

But you are right man, the middle of the smoke was really great and I totally got the minty sensation, which could for the novice easily be misinterpreted as the onset of tongue bite. I gained a greater appreciation for this one tonight. It always feels so much better for me when I unlearn something that I really thought I knew.

Cheers, Chris

I enjoy BB most in a large deep bowled oom paul pipe. A long smoke gives the palate more "adjust to it time" and the mid smoke is substantially longer. This is a blend for the more experienced among us but once appreciated, it is a blend to always have stocked and ready to pack. It, like Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard is a good solitary smoke because only another pipe smoker would enjoy your company around it. Like manly sweat and morning wood, Billy Budd reaffirms the fact that we live in a man's world.

This is another vaunted C&D bulk blend that failed to score with my tastes (OJK was revolting to me). I felt the lat in Billy Budd overwhelmed the cigar leaf. Still, my taste for lat has improved over the past several months so maybe I'll give it another go.

LIPIPE makes a good observation. I unconsciously picked a pipe (the morta poker) that was probably best-suited to this particular mixture: I like wider, deeper bowls for strong stuff. It mellows them out and marries flavors more, in my case. I have another pipe I use for Latakia stuff that is quite the opposite in tobacco chamber, but I usually smoke milder things (EMP) out of it, and that seems to be a winner for different reasons.

Billy Budd might like a little more chamber space to move around in if anyone has had it get unruly with 'em.

I'm glad you had a good revisit with it, DandB!

8)

Kyle: I'm smokin' the Bud in my oom paul right now. This is a tough blend to get used to, but man once you do it's a definite keeper. Even better once retrohaled. I don't compare it to a cigar. I consider it a real man's pipe tobacco the way it needs to be. If I need a cigar, I smoke one. This blend fills the pipe with goodness.

I got some Billy Bud in my noob tobacco sampler from the nice BoBers out there. I will be trying it tonight and will report back.

Hater: If you are a noob, please be careful. The Billy is an ass whip until you tame it. Once accomplished, you are no longer a noob.

BTW, I was out your way in 1995. The mountains are just lovely and a great spot to enjoy your pipe.

LIPIPE":11mydxzb said:
Even better once retrohaled.
100% agreed--I should have mentioned this in the original review. I'm kind of a "snorker" with my pipes, and love incorporating the nose with the palette (in my opinion if someone isn't somehow using smell to help taste, part of the picture is missing) and this one blooms when one retrohales--at least for me, anyway.

If anyone is curious about how I do this "protoexahaling" (or retrohale/snorking), it's kind of taking the mouthful of smoke you've just drawn and pushing a little through the back of your nasal passages--not necessarily inhaling or exhaling, but once you've pushed some smoke into your nose, you then use your lungs to keep pushing it out (assuming you don't breathe weirdly while you draw smoke). At least that's what I do, and certain blends/mixes really need it, while others don't. Latakia seems to respond well to it, as do fire-cured VAs or Kentuckys--but watch out for those, they may bite ya and make your eyes water... :twisted:

Billy Budd needs the full experience. 8)

LIPIPE":11mydxzb said:
Hater: If you are a noob, please be careful. The Billy is an ass whip until you tame it. Once accomplished, you are no longer a noob.
Also this. I think someone noobish can try BB without fear, but make sure it's dry, in a larger-bore tobacco chamber, pack loose, go SLOW, and sit it down a few times mid-smoke to get that awesome DGT.

Another great review Kyle!

On the subject of retrohaleing. I have found that if I exhale about 75% of the smoke thru my mouth, then close my mouth during exhale, I can test a particular blend, rather than blasting my sinuses full bore on the initial exhale. If a blend is mild enough, a few draws later I will give it a go with a 50/50 retrohale.

Dutch: What you've described is accurate for the way we all smoke our pipes and that includes the retrohale. We each have a personal style and that extends to the pipe and blend of choice, clenching or holding, the volume of smoke we draw and the frequency of draw. There is no need to take more smoke than we can tolerate and derive pleasure from. The retrohale you have described is all that is necessary for you given all the variables involved in a good smoke. Eventually it all becomes automatic and we do what becomes natural for each of us along the journey with each different pipe and blend that we select. What counts is the pleasure derived. Enjoy yours bro!

I hung out with Billy yesterday--that's two days in a row, which I almost never do with a mix. That says something.

I smoked it in the pipe Mister E gave me, the GBD Canadian Collector... the flavor wasn't as intense through this pipe, and the pipe gets a little wet--I much preferred it through the morta poker. While it was still a wonderful smoke, I may need to adapt it to a few other pipes to get the best results. I really lucked out the first try on this stuff, which is also why I try new tobacco in pipes I'm already quite familiar! No sense in adding unnecessary variables!

The subject of retrohaling/holding smoke on the palette is a really great subject--it's a very personal and important part of enjoying the pipe, and something we all have to learn on our own. Even talking about it, it's a tough thing to describe or "teach" to others.

8)

Darn and here I thought I had managed to remain ingognito. I'm really glad you liked it, though.

Dave_In_Philly":hi5f6rej said:
Darn and here I thought I had managed to remain ingognito. I'm really glad you liked it, though.
You have no idea who you're dealing with, sir. :twisted:

...then again, that's a good thing: I had someone to thank for his kindness and good taste. 8)

I like BB even better in pressed form; the flavors blend better and it is smoother. You can press some on your own by wrapping it in waxed paper, placing it between 2 small boards, and compressing the whole business together in a vice or a few C-clamps.

Kyle - I'm a big latakia fan, and as a matter of fact I pulled out an aged tin of Squadron Leader and couldn't get enough of it. What interesting to me is that I smoked for almost 2 hours with the SL, and it was simple heaven. But, the other day I smoked a bowl of McClelland 2011 Christmas cheer and I nauseous. My only guess is that it was the vixen N that got to me. How would you describe the overall experience of the BB to SL, assuming these two are even comparable in the slightest? I'm always looking for something new to try, and to expand my tobacco horizons. I also find it interesting that smoking a robust leaf in a larger chamber makes a difference. I had never thought of that, but it makes sense.

Howdy Martin...

I don't think you could get two different Latakia mixtures comparing Billy Budd to Squadron Leader, in all honesty. If you did, I haven't tried them yet.

Squadron Leader has a good amount of Latakia in it, I'd say, around 15% - 20% (total guess). It plays off of a mainly Virginia-type flavor, and rounds off with a (Turkish?) toastiness and waxiness that I can only describe as starchy, which gives an overall note of "fire-roasted buttered potato." The Latakia is somewhat sharp in this, I'm not sure if they're using Syrian or Cyprian, but I'd assume Syrian. Nevertheless, the Lat is a very up-front flavor, but not overpowering. I wouldn't be surprised to hear some of the Virginia is stoved or somewhat Cavendished in treatment because of the thick waxiness giving it body.

Billy Budd also has a good amount of Latakia, I'd guess around 15%, too. It has an initial spicy and cigar-like punch with the Latakia, and then mellows out significantly. The Burley is pretty evident throughout, but more noticeable toward the end, which is surprising, because of how Burley is, and what strong-flavored tobaccos join the mix. The body from this mixture comes from the cigar leaf, which adds a thickness and a very faintly spicy mellowess at the same time.

Both are balanced, both have a good start-to-finish, but have totally different conversations with me personally. Either could serve as a good smoke with a spot of whiskey (which I like), both will satisfy a tongue asking for some Latakia, and both will give you a nice "Lady N" visit. I would say SL wins as a no-nonsense, all-flavor contemplative smoke, while Billy Budd gets the win for being a good "conversationalist" (or distracted) mix, as it loves being sat down and re-lit--the flavors are amazing.

8)

I like BB even better in pressed form
:affraid:

Fueled by glowing reviews, I got a pound of it once ; had them press & tin it. The first bowl made me literally ill. Halfway through the second in a different pipe, I threw in the towel. Gave the whole thing to Bob R, who came up with the recipe.

Gaack ! :evil:

:face: