I just tried Cumberland(aged)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
actually, it was aged Cumberland,, I smoked 2 bowls this afternoon.
EXCELLENT ! I mean it, that stuff is great ! I smoked the first bowl while driving to town,, and had the pipe clenched in the same spot the whole way. it didnt burn the side of my tongue at all,, and I have to say it sort of left a sweet spot on that side of my mouth. and not sweet, like the sweet juices of a light Va.. a different type of sweet, but then again, not at all overpowering sweet, just a nice sweet spot, where normally it would have a slight tongue burn.
Ya know, maybe I should send some of it to Kyle, cuz his tastebuds and ways of putting it in writing are better than mine. :D but NO :D

I just have to say , that this aged Cumberland , is one of the best that I have smoked , as of today.! Definitely one of the BEST!

That old Cumbaland really is something special! It's a shame that they ran out of that old Dark Kentucky...

Isn't it just a tobacco that begs to be smoked all day? Out of the same pipe! Out in the field... At home in front of the fireplace with a nice rye maybe to wash it down... Wonderful pure tobacco flavor and the aroma is both sweet, and manly :)

s.ireland":lx431jd5 said:
That old Cumbaland really is something special! It's a shame that they ran out of that old Dark Kentucky...

Isn't it just a tobacco that begs to be smoked all day? Out of the same pipe! Out in the field... At home in front of the fireplace with a nice rye maybe to wash it down... Wonderful pure tobacco flavor and the aroma is both sweet, and manly :)

I musta missed an announcement. They ran out of the Old Dark Kentucky? They had a huge amount of that stuff. :scratch:

Carlos":tegqx2q4 said:
s.ireland":tegqx2q4 said:

I musta missed an announcement. They ran out of the Old Dark Kentucky? They had a huge amount of that stuff. :scratch:
Maybe someone can confirm but it came up in another thread recently that they are now using a different source from the origional KY... Idk to be honest. Just hearsay... I seem to remember years ago reading something like Greg had enough of that Dark KY to make 80,000 tins of Cumberland or something like that

that's what happens when you guys start a thread just to broadcast how great a certain tobacco is.... all the lurkers go snatch it right up!

throw in a curveball two pages into an unrelated thread: the diehards read EVERY post on this board anyhow (i love the "view posts since last visit" button!) so you can keep your inside information about the fan favorites to a select few.... then wait til kyle reviews it so the hype can cause some viral-style demand, while your cellar is already full! Can we say ebay profits?

jefe1037":r9ut3zcd said:
that's what happens when you guys start a thread just to broadcast how great a certain tobacco is.... all the lurkers go snatch it right up!

throw in a curveball two pages into an unrelated thread: the diehards read EVERY post on this board anyhow (i love the "view posts since last visit" button!) so you can keep your inside information about the fan favorites to a select few.... then wait til kyle reviews it so the hype can cause some viral-style demand, while your cellar is already full! Can we say ebay profits?
Um - wouldn't that be something similar to 'Insider Trading'??

Rob_In_MO":nfyew1r9 said:
Um - wouldn't that be something similar to 'Insider Trading'??
lets face it, If most of us were sitting on a stockpile of stonehaven or escudo or penzance or squadron leader or fvf (shall I continue...)
we would smoke more than we would sell.... our profits would go "up in smoke" if you will (I've been waiting to bust out that gem)

They must have missed the disclaimer:

"I lie, and my tongue is made from pine bark."

Just doing my part to make FVF more available to the masses. :lol:

I'm trying to remember if I have any Cumberland... :scratch:

...no, checking my notes/log, I don't. Though Shane is credited to suggesting it to me, I guess. I think there's some at my Tinder Box in the "sample bin." I'll get back to you all on that.

8)

LOL, another thing I wanted to say about it.
as I have read where people say it smokes itself.

And yesterday,, as I got to the bottom of the bowl, and looked at that ash, it was noticeably different to me, and I thought, "OH thats what they mean" so I think it does smoke itself to the bottom of the bowl....

And yes Shane, I could smoke it all day, anywhere , anytime..its REALLY GOOD!

What a selfish tobacco, smoking itself. I'd be pretty mad if I packed a bowl, walked away for a moment, and found it nothing but ash. :lol:

Be careful with this one, Kyle!

The only reason I haven't sent you any is because I was waiting for you to announce that you are starting to like perique! :p It's a pretty spicy blend but I think aged it has melded together quite well. Still a decent amount of perique though

yeah, it does have a certain "spice " to it, but in a REALLY good way.

I'm starting to think my tastebuds are shot
I just had a glazed doughnut, and could hardly taste the sugar,, :(
It took a maple bar to satisfy me tastebuds :D

DustyRoundup":7vmv9xig said:
yeah, it does have a certain "spice " to it, but in a REALLY good way.

I'm starting to think my tastebuds are shot
I just had a glazed doughnut, and could hardly taste the sugar,, :(
It took a maple bar to satisfy me tastebuds :D
I don't think they're shot... Maybe they just know what they want. ;)

I re-tried some Escudo, Shane, and I'm still not doing large amounts of Perique--still tasted like burning tires. Gently-added via The Pease or (for) Chucky Rattray is fine. Glad you tipped me off on that. 8)

I made a post on a different forums a while back about how much I loved Cumberland and wanted to cellar a bunch before the Kentucky ran out. The post is gone now because that forum auto-prunes. Anyhow, Greg posted on the thread saying that the special Kentucky had made its way into other blends (including JKP, if I remember right) but that they had secured new leaf that was basically identical to the original. Whether that means new tins are using that new leaf or not (as of now/recently) I'm not sure. But you can look at it two ways, one pessimistic and one optimistic!

1) The flavor may change a bit (though Greg implied that it wont)

or

2) Cumberland will continue to be easy to get for the foreseeable future!

Well, I haven't smoked a super-new tin but I love the stuff and probably will soon enough.

Cheers

I hadn't heard anything about replacing the source for the Kentucky in Cumberland. Dang! It was on my list for the next big buy too! It kind of begs the questions:

How do you replace an oh so special Kentucky 'aged in bales for 20 years' ? I think the use of the term 'identical' is highly optimistic.

I wonder if they'll keep using that phrase to describe the blend being sold.

Blackhorse":vxihzq9n said:
I hadn't heard anything about replacing the source for the Kentucky in Cumberland. Dang! It was on my list for the next big buy too! It kind of begs the questions:

How do you replace an oh so special Kentucky 'aged in bales for 20 years' ? I think the use of the term 'identical' is highly optimistic.

I wonder if they'll keep using that phrase to describe the blend being sold.
Hopefully Mr. Pease can enlighten us on this. I'll be very interested as well!

Cheers,

RR

Had another bowl of Cumberland tonight from a tin dated 2008. Age does wonders for this stuff.

Tim_Haggerty":dsb1uutf said:
Had another bowl of Cumberland tonight from a tin dated 2008. Age does wonders for this stuff.
Yes, yes it does. It was only a few weeks ago that I smoked my first bowl of the 2004 stock and once I did I knew that i couldn't open anymore tins that were less than 4 or 5 years-old. I enjoyed the blend before but with age, it's a favorite for sure.