I just tried "Dunhill 965"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
You all know , Im not too big a fan of Latakia's, but Bobs Chocolate Flake sort of opened the door a few weeks ago.
So today, I grabbed a jar of 965 as I headed out, and I took my pipe that Natch gave me ( I still dont know who actually made it)

I smoked 2 bowls of 965 this afternoon, while driving, and I liked it.
I must have because I had the second pipefull..

Compared to the BCF , it definitely seemed like a more Lat based baccy, and I was kind of amazed that I liked it that much.

It wasnt too awful strong with the latakia, it was just about right , for me anyhow..

So, I guess Im starting down the Lat road ...I wonder how far I'll go ?

You're recent interest in Lat Blends must have been noticed by someone, and remembered. Weren't you recently Bombed with some of that stuff?

What kind of cruel-hearted minion would do such a dastardly deed... :twisted:

Anyway - I myself usually always have some in the Cellar. It's what I would consider a medium-English blend - not too overbearing and quite nice for a change.

Sounds like you enjoyed it, I just hope that you were bombed with enough to get a few more bowls out of that sample...

Mission Accomplished! 8)

My most recent experience with the "new" 965 was about 7 mo's ago and it has become a much more Lat easy blend than it was back when I smoked it as my daily smoke over 30 years ago. I was smoking the Murray blended mix and it was a mauch heavier Latakia and Oriental oriented blend with the Cavendish used to smooth it all out. We did not really "cellar" tobacco then, rather always wanting a "fresh" tin to smoke. I have some of the older Murray tins I'm smoking these days and the "new" stuff is similar to this tobacco which has had almost 30 years to "cellar". Either way, it is a GOOD traditional English blend, well worth the $s it costs. JMHO :p

monbla256":jmssi1hq said:
Either way, it is a GOOD traditional English blend, well worth the $s it costs. JMHO :p
Well Brother - you guys haven't driven me away from Aromatics (and won't), but I am starting to again appreciate these blends a lot more.

I also agree that 965 is a good traditional blend, and I try to always have some in the cellar for when the mood hits.

Rob_In_MO":tekiyws1 said:
monbla256":tekiyws1 said:
Either way, it is a GOOD traditional English blend, well worth the $s it costs. JMHO :p
Well Brother - you guys haven't driven me away from Aromatics (and won't), but I am starting to again appreciate these blends a lot more.

I also agree that 965 is a good traditional blend, and I try to always have some in the cellar for when the mood hits.
Rob, you might want to give a G.L.Pease blend a try for a nice smooth, Lat easy Balkan style, his Ashbury, which Greg has said was his interpatation of the VERY FINE S&P Gentlemans Mixture from "back in the day" :p

monbla256":p34c2xom said:
Rob, you might want to give a G.L.Pease blend a try for a nice smooth, Lat easy Balkan style, his Ashbury, which Greg has said was his interpatation of the VERY FINE S&P Gentlemans Mixture from "back in the day" :p
I'll do that, Sir. It will be included in my next order.

LOL, yep Mr Rob, I did get bombed with the 965 :D

and , it was enough to fill 3 each,,2oz mason jars. So there is plenty for me to sample.

I really like it.
So, its a "medium English" Traditional blend ? Gotcha!
Thanks ;)

I'd agree with both Rob and monbla. It's a fine medium English. Personally I didn't care for it too much but hey I'm not really a Latakia guy. Now that Ashbury... That sounds right up my alley.

Anyhow, I've tried the new production 965 and I also found it to be less heavy on the lat, MUCH more heavy on the cavendish. I think that's what I didn't like about it. The blends I find the most appealing that contain lat have a healthy portion of VA and usually more orientals than Latakia... And a friend who is nuts for Murray-era Dunhill stuff has had open tins from time to time and I've smoked some of that as well. Again, not really my thing but it seemed to fall under the "light English" with 10-20 years in the tin. :p That Latakia sure does mellow out over the years.

965 is a cavendish heavy blend. A lot of the darker tobacco you see is cavendish, it is the predominant tobacco.. Not a bad blend at all, but that definitely moves it from English to the Scottish category. Not a traditional English in my opinion.