I just tried GL Pease Embarcadero

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I was a little worried to fire this up on a 38°F, rainy morning, for fear the condensation and chilly conditions would rush and wet my smoke.

The copper-banded wonder Todd Harris gave to me for the bombing was the pipe--it has a unique stem draft hole cut at the bit that makes Virginias sing. The tin itself is very fresh, which I'm told is a good thing--label states April 2012.

I rubbed out and dried my first pinch quite a bit, just so it was springy. This proved perfect, as it took to flame really well. First tamp gave me flavors of fresh lettuce, sweet pea, a slightly leathery body and a touch of peppercorn and lemongrass. Further down a ways it added notes of sunflower seeds, a touch of zest, even some faint cardamom. Middle bowl got almost like a good oolong tea, and warmed my tongue like some Serrano pepper was added. The finale of this bowl thickened up remarkably, and mellowed out the flavors, added what I swear was nutmeg and vanilla bean (the real stuff, the expensive stuff). I suddenly realize I've been transported into taste and depth I haven't gotten from any tobacco I've tried to date--I was genuinely tasting a brand new tobacco for once, rather than combinations of other experiences. This stuff is truly unique.

Other facts: DGT HEAVEN. :cheers: Nicotine levels are moderate. Fresh, invigorating, forgiving, huge, simple, complex, endless possibilities, and I'm not sure how all of that comes to be. I have a lot to learn from this stuff, and school is gonna be fun.

Embarcadero destroyed me. Rarely have I jumped right into a tobacco, and felt like I suddenly woke up. Against weather odds, I had one of those smokes that reminded me why I took up this hobby. I honestly felt like I earned this through all I've learned so far. A rare, holy grail smoke blessed me today, and I felt insignificant and honored in the face of it. There was so much going on it's going to take me a while to get it all, and I barely scratched the surface of it. Like my first new sports car, the first meal from the world's most inspired chef, the first time I realize I have a new favorite author. Greg, you ruined me in the best way. Again. A new bar has been set.

....recently someone around here":irs1t6e3 said:
...a metaphor adequate to convey some sense of how great the experience of a really fine tobacco is, you end up with the three-letter word that begins with "s" and has an "x" in it
I tried really hard to keep this short and sweet, but I don't want to hear 1,000 facepalms echoing across the country as I'm dancing around like a happy fool. I also don't want to sound like I'm kissing the rears of those who might have steered me to this, I'm genuinely satisfied, and I truly thank those who ushered me to try this stuff. I already know I passed Embarcadero's first test--because of how delighted I am.

YMMV, but I sure as hell like my mileage.

8)

:cheers:
Well put, Kyle! I'm glad you enjoyed you're first experience with this blend. I had a feelin that you would :D

It does seem to stand out as being totally unique in a world where most blends are only slightly varied from one to the next... It's very versatile as well. If you thought it was a good companion in the cold rain just wait until you sit down comfortably, maybe at home, maybe at the Tinder box, with a glass of red or maybe rye... You'll fall to your knees and curse the gods for being so cruel! For keeping pipeweed's deepest, darkest secrets from you for so long! LoL I've only smoked about 4 oz since I fell in love so I'm still in school as well. Can't wait to learn more. Cheers brother!

I like that you said sunflower seeds and lemongrass... To me it was like multigrain bread. And yes the citrus notes are more of lemon than orange. The Izmir though... I don't know what it reminds me of and I don't care to know. It's almost like that spice will only be associated with this blend for me now. When I'm eating out, maybe Thai, I'll say: "this almost has that Embarcadero spice to it" :)

Make no mistake, I was comfortable. Cold doesn't bother me so much, unless it screws with my smoke. :lol: This time, all was well. I sat, I lost time, I was in Embarcaderoland, happily, on this, my first visit.

Embarcadero sets a new standard for me. I'm a bit worried, because whenever I have a "hallelujah" moment, whether drink or food, I know I cannot go elsewhere or back, but only forward and to other places of a standard. I think recently, in the last month, I unwittingly gained a new "level" with my pipes and tobacco. No more newbie, I'm starting to get it. I want to ensure I keep this level going, and not burn out. Embarcadero assured me that even if there's nothing left to wow me, I can always go to it and be reminded of where I've been and what this all means.

Man, I'm getting WAY too poetic and philosophical. I fear pairing this with the right drink may make me float and glow. Lord help those around me wondering if I've lost my head. :lol:

"This has an Embarcadero note to it!" That's gonna make my foodie/drink friends look at me like I've lost my marbles.

That's okay, they're used to it. 8)

I only meant that if you felt comfortable out in the rainy cold then just wait until Embarcadero keeps you company in an even more comfortable situation!

I know what you mean though. It's like I never thought "done. I have smoked X amount of blends in X amount of pipes... Now I know what I like" until my fifth or tenth bowl of this blend. It changed the last six years of experiences. I know those experiences led up to this revalation of sorts but I can't help but feel like Embarcadero was all I ever really needed

I'll still be smoking plenty of other blends but like you said, I know now where to come back when I need to truly be satisfied without much effort

No better words spoken, Shane. 8)

"Embarcadero, where have you been all my life?"

I'm starting to understand some fundamentals, today just made me realize a few things. This isn't "Kyle vs Pipes," or some weird collection of a rocket-fueled, half-assed hobby, I have a lot to sit back and let the tobacco teach me. So far, I'm doing okay, I think, but boy, what a revelation.

If Embarcadero was all that was available, for now and forever, I don't think I'd complain, and I'd still have a lifetime of happiness and discovery within it. Very strange and enlightening. I think I caught a glimpse of what why some folks only have one or a handful of favorites.

Kyle Weiss":sdfsd0qv said:
No better words spoken, Shane. 8)

"Embarcadero, where have you been all my life?"

I'm starting to understand some fundamentals, today just made me realize a few things. This isn't "Kyle vs Pipes," or some weird collection of a rocket-fueled, half-assed hobby, I have a lot to sit back and let the tobacco teach me. So far, I'm doing okay, I think, but boy, what a revelation.

If Embarcadero was all that was available, for now and forever, I don't think I'd complain, and I'd still have a lifetime of happiness and discovery within it. Very strange and enlightening. I think I caught a glimpse of what why some folks only have one or a handful of favorites.
Turns out Yak isn't crazy... :lol!:

That's exactly what Embarcadero did to me as well. During that week when I devoured my first tin I couldn't even look at any other blend. I just didn't want anything else. I mentioned before that it was like I was forcing myself to "switch it up" and smoke something else... I don't think I'm finished trying new blends (certainly not after the recent bombing, oh god no!) but after all is said and done I must make sure that I have enough Embarcadero to last a lifetime

Damnit! Everything I say really does sound like I could be talking about sex instead of tobacco... :pig:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:face:
SMOKING EMBARCADERO

I just opened a tin of this stuff and although I have only smoked one bowl it sure made me sit up and pay attention. In fact I would go as far as to say that so far no bowl of tobacco has had me concentrating quiet so hard as Embarcadero has.

This is very, very good stuff.

I revisited this tobacco today, again in the Harris pipe.

Yep, it's consistent. Thurston (my new, only Pete) had a little trouble recreating the experience, but it had a heck of a challenge ahead of it considering my first go at this stuff. Just as wonderful.

What strikes me as funny is the length of a smoke I'm able to get out of this stuff, in precisely this pipe/bacca combo. It's been an hour and a half and I'm STILL going. I'm either naturally savoring it, or it just burns this smoothly. The bowl on this pipe is one of my smaller ones, to boot.

What a treat this stuff is. Sorry to keep swooning. 8)

This pipe, this tobacco.

6927955872_868f9acd71_c.jpg

GL%20Pease%20Embarcadero.jpg

100% satisfaction, every time. It still amazes me.

I'd better take good care of this pipe. :lol:

I am a glutton for TAD. I really need to quit reading these reviews. This tobacco is now on my list.

I get hooked by these colorful descriptions faster than I can smoke my tins. :geek:

Kyle Weiss":k1f2eu39 said:
This pipe, this tobacco.

6927955872_868f9acd71_c.jpg

GL%20Pease%20Embarcadero.jpg

100% satisfaction, every time. It still amazes me.

I'd better take good care of this pipe. :lol:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm still letting Embarcadero "choose" it's favorite pipes...

Having a bowl right now in a Ser Jac. This batch is from 2007... very, very satisfying. Biggest difference between fresh and aged??? The Izmir seems to be toned-down. It's relaxed and just slightly in the background. Fresh tins had much more of the "spice" upfront.