I just tried GL Pease Embarcadero

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoever it was that pointed out that you could always just open the next tin & use what's left of the old one as top dressing deserves an award for seeing what's in front of everybody's faces.

Duh ! :oops:

:face:

Pffff, and go the easy route? Pfff. PFFF I SAY! :p

8)

(...a little at a time...)

My Embarcadero is still sitting in the cellar waiting until I finish some open tins.

If you guys would please just stop raving about this stuff. I am afraid I may pop my tin prematurely! :bounce:

Allow me to send you my address to relieve you of this truly awful burden. :twisted: It's the least I can do.

The tobacco may be a burden I must carry alone. But the TORMENT is definitely coming from yourself and Yak. :D

Start with a clean pipe ! One that's only smoked Virginia for a while (and the less topping on it, the better).

Or even a new one . . . ;)

Something I noticed on my first smoke of Embarcadero yesterday afternoon (y'all got me curious) was the amazing flavor when exhaling through my nose (retrohaling, snorking, whatever). It was far spicier than anything I tasted elsewhere in the smoke and had a quality of incense and cedar. I'd associate those flavors more with EMP or Magnum Opus and then in the body of the smoke. To my recollection, I've not had another tobacco that offered such a different experience between mouth and nostril exhales.

Anybody else notice this or is it just me?

Nonsailor":fscbrlnw said:
To my recollection, I've not had another tobacco that offered such a different experience between mouth and nostril exhales.

Anybody else notice this or is it just me?
It ain't just you, and you bring up an often-overlooked part of smoking in general, if not just for the sake of Embarcadero.

If you're not using your nose to help sense Embarcadero, you're missing at least 40% of what makes it amazing--the smell. I started "retrohaling/protohaling/snorking" (whatever it is) naturally some months ago, and didn't even realize that's what I was doing. I couldn't imagine not doing it now. Plus, I swear it helps chase away my allergies. :lol:

Embarcadero is a 'bacca for all senses--even the wispy, blue smoke that comes up and out of the bowl. 8)

Ah, the "wasabi factor." Embarcadero won't make your eyes water and wince like an ill-snorked puff of Jackknife Plug, but those orientals will nail ya if you aren't careful. :lol:

So, at 10AM I packed a half bowl of the Princess 'Barc in the Harris Copper (my 'Barc-only) thinking, "...oh, I don't have a lot of time today for a two hour smoke, but I really want some of this..."

...It's an hour-and-a-half later... and I'm only 3/4 done... :| ...thanks, Princess. *smokey, contented sigh*

The fact a brilliant pipe/tobacco combo is so effortlessly self-regulating is impressive. It MAKES you smoke it right,whether you want to or not. :lol:

(...having a great time, but I gotta watch the clock...)

8)

After a half dozen false starts in my journey to "get" Embarcadero, finally found what I think is the right pipe for this - my one and only meer.

It's a Royal Meerschaum 1/4 bent apple, with golf ball dimples. This was gifted to me several years ago and has seen infrequent action for some reason. So it hasn't colored much at all.

In any case, this pipe certainly let the delicate nuances of 'barq come through loud and clear after work today. Thoroughly enjoyed it and while I didn't take tasting notes, the subtleties expressed themselves in a manner unlike the several briars I've smoked this in so far.

Just need to remind myself to rub some out and let dry a bit more next time. The moisture content wasn't overly high, but it could clearly benefit from an hour or so of drying time.

I'm starting to come around to 'barq, although I will say for me it will be a first of the day pipe load and not an after dinner smoke.

Cheers,

RR

She might surprise you, BD.

You have to start with a clean pipe. From what I've read, meerschaums don't ghost. No ghost = clean, start from square one pipe.

Union Square's even lighter. And I love it at the end of the day. LOVE it. It coaxes me down to that gentle, mild place.

Embarcadero & Union Square have re-ordered a lot of standing assumptions.

I was used to tobaccos that raise their voices. These two, you have to lean over to and listen carefully with.

It's worth it !

They speak softly. But they tell wonderful tales.

...It's an hour-and-a-half later... and I'm only 3/4 done... ...thanks, Princess. *smokey, contented sigh*
Mine is not open yet. What makes the bowls last for such a long time?

Yak":cfu3e55p said:
She might surprise you, BD.

You have to start with a clean pipe. From what I've read, meerschaums don't ghost. No ghost = clean, start from square one pipe.

Union Square's even lighter. And I love it at the end of the day. LOVE it. It coaxes me down to that gentle, mild place it inhabits.

Embarcadero & Union Square have re-ordered a lot of standing assumptions here.

Right on brother Yak.

8)

Cheers,

RR

J Soshae":15ogfrq8 said:
...It's an hour-and-a-half later... and I'm only 3/4 done... ...thanks, Princess. *smokey, contented sigh*
Mine is not open yet. What makes the bowls last for such a long time?
Magic. It's the only way a blend can be as good as this one.

Meerschaum, eh? I will try that one. The only concern I have is, contrary to popular belief (at least from my angle), the sepiolite (meerschaum) itself has a flavor and scent to it--something I can easily detect. It's salty, briny and has this boiled clam shell kind of nose to it. I'd be curious to see what the Princess thinks of that.

I'm hangin' out with 'Barc again this morning. My first tin is now at its end--only the second tin I've finished in my pipe smoking career (seems odd to say that, if even a little discrediting :| ). I have four other back-up tins waiting for me, which should be enough for a little while. Her "dregs" smoke better than the first pinches of many other blends I've had thus far, and she's with me for the long-haul, for sure.

Union Square is a fascinating handmaiden to the Princess 'Barc. Demure, low-key, unassuming, meticulous, knowledgeable, and hardly flashy--just simple and beautiful. Only acknowledged by those who know what she's like when you get to know her. Introduced by a guy at my Tinder Box that overheard my appreciation of the subtlety of Rattray's Brown Clunee, I've been a huge fan ever since. It is a great way to end the day, that one, whereas I like Embarcadero to give me courage and fire me up at the start.

8)

Kyle Weiss":rikoq5iy said:
Meerschaum, eh? I will try that one. The only concern I have is, contrary to popular belief (at least from my angle), the sepiolite (meerschaum) itself has a flavor and scent to it--something I can easily detect. It's salty, briny and has this boiled clam shell kind of nose to it. I'd be curious to see what the Princess thinks of that.
Well Mr Weiss, up until today I never got that kind of character from my meer. Today was different somehow.

Rubbed out and dried some 'barc after work. Fired it up in my Royal meer an hour later.

During the smoke, only the pure taste of the weed prevailed. Great bowl actually.

After the fire was out, I did have an aftertaste of what you have described here and on other threads. Kind of a mineral aftertaste. Not objectionable nor unpleasant. But it was there for a while. Kind of salty actually, in a non-sodium way.

I'm beginning to see what you mean.

:|

Cheers,

RR

Hopefully I didn't ruin your flavor profiles by highlighting something overlooked prior. :| Kind of like when someone sees a shape in the clouds, it's hard to not see that shape. Weiss propaganda at work? :twisted: *shrug*

8)

On this end, this seems much like listening to vintage recordings (which actually sound dramatically better on the equipment they were made for).

From a contemporary, sound geek perspective, listening to the music on them is like looking at something outside through a window that could stand a good cleaning.

Something happens here though. At a concert, when the soloist in a violin concerto comes in, for the first 10-15 seconds, you notice the sound of the violin itself. But that fades, and you start hearing the music he's playing on it.

Same with the 1929 recording, same with smoking an old pipe with its original stem. Yeah, if you focus on it, you can taste the stem, and notice the "dirt on the sonic window." But if it's interesting, that passes . . .

(?)

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:
WORKING ON THE PICTURE