I just tried GL Pease's Sextant

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Kyle, when you do write your book let me know. I would definitely buy one. Love reading your posts.

I picked up a tin..gotta say I love the artwork on it. The blend is good...unique. I'm perhaps not the best guy to review any tobacco with a liquor casing since they rarely agree with me. Like other liquor infused baccys, sextant gets me feeling a bit queesy by mid bowl. Still, the flavor is enjoyable, but I'll probaby stick to Sillems Black in the rather small cased latakia blend genre.

Just had my first bowl of Sextant.

:shock:

This stuff is not a "rum cased tobacco" or an aromatic or even a cross-over blend or any of that malarky. Not in the slightest.

In fact, it is one of the "biggest" tobaccos I've ever smoked (and I'm an English/Balkan guy through and through. Rich, extremely dark and very heady, this is not a casual smoke in any sense of the word.

I tasted exactly zero rum casing, and the infusion only came through in the room note and then, only slightly.

It is bigger than Caravan (my current fave), Penzance, Maltese Falcon ... you name it. I loved it. But will not be smoking this in my car, or anywhere else that I can't give it my full attention.

Oh, yeah. And it is strong on the vitamin K front. Had to slow down to avoid the whirl and hurls. Good evening smoke, but don't expect to do much afterwards.

Looking forward to more.

desertpiper: Thank you! I wouldn't hold my breath, though, I'm not sure what I'd even publish, and for that matter, you're better off reading here for free. :lol: I haven't contributed for a while, but click on over to my "WWW" button in my profile and you can peruse my blog about Reno.

Storm_Crow: Easy solution for ya: leave the lid off for a day. The rum will diminish significantly, what little there is in there you're sensing. I, too, am not a fan of "liquor infused" mixtures, but this and SG Navy Flake are so innocently flavored, I think what happened is the blender was simply sipping a little rum whilst in the room with the tobacco, and just the open bottle influenced the stuff. :lol:

Matthew: Yep, it's a bigg'un, ain't it? :D It didn't hit me as hard as JKP, but it's still a force to be reckoned.

8)

I think you would be pretty good at writing about your musings and philosophies of the pipe. That would make for some interesting reading. I've never been to Reno, but I have been to Las Vegas & The Valley of Fire. I think I liked the Valley of Fire better.

desertpiper":h41qyr5p said:
I think you would be pretty good at writing about your musings and philosophies of the pipe. That would make for some interesting reading. I've never been to Reno, but I have been to Las Vegas & The Valley of Fire. I think I liked the Valley of Fire better.
Vegas is L.A.'s newest suburb. I hate that place. :lol: I talk trash about it every chance I get--which means I better watch myself this November, I just might go there for the pipe show. 8)

Blogs about pipes are almost a cliche--I love reading them, but I just can't find myself dedicating a blog to my selfish thoughts and waffling on about pipes. That's what you guys are for--I have my captive audience. :twisted: :lol:

I have pondered making posts on Burncards about pipes, because I think more people who are curious about them might just be intrigued enough to try it.

Have you read GL Pease's site at all? http://www.glpease.com/ (speaking of Sextant...) His writing is among the best in regard to pipes. He's got a way with words that blows me away. I spend hours reading his stuff on all sorts of things over there. 8)

Matthew: quick side note--have you tried C&D Billy Budd? That's another fine tobacco with a punch that has a lot of balanced, delicious flavor. Certainly not the same as Sextant, but I think you'd like it if you haven't gotten into it already. Good Latakia, grassy, stout Virginia, and cigar leaf for some honest thickness. 8)

Kyle Weiss":bt0fys24 said:
Matthew: quick side note--have you tried C&D Billy Budd? That's another fine tobacco with a punch that has a lot of balanced, delicious flavor. Certainly not the same as Sextant, but I think you'd like it if you haven't gotten into it already. Good Latakia, grassy, stout Virginia, and cigar leaf for some honest thickness. 8)
Have not tried Billy yet... for the same reason I've never tried Nightcap: I've had a few spins on the whirl and hurl before and am not eager to get back on it again! I'm a bit scared of the high nic blends for that reason, but I'll get the courage . . . eventually.

Just remember to smoke them slowly and not eat them, you'll be fine. :lol:

8)

I just finished the sample of Sextant Fishfuzz gave me. I found I liked it best when smoked in the morning when my tastebuds were fresh. As an evening smoke the complexity cannot be appreciated, unless you just woke up.

A slow, easy going cadence and a cool bowl with a fresh mouth will reward you with a fiesta for your senses. If smoked with a worn out taster you'll miss some of what this wonderful blend has to offer.

I think that all depends on what your evening routine tends to be. Smoke this with anything but beer as a beverage, or after a heavy, intensely-flavored meal? Probably not a good idea. I find this to be an excellent morning smoke, though, so cheers to that. I also find it a great insomnia smoke, at 1AM when the night is brisk and the radio waves are best for listening to shortwave. 8)

Very nice review!
I, too, recently dipped into my first tin of Sextant and was completely blown away. I love strong blends and I love latakia, but unfortunately those two things rarely come together (most English/Balkans are light on the nicotine, in my estimation), so Sextant really impressed me. I believe I tasted the rum a little more than you did, and I detected a bit of complexity that no one else seems to have remarked on. It's certainly not complex like, say, Penzance or Kensington, but Sextant is NOT a simple blend, which is kind of a surprise given that I believe its pedigree is more that of an "American English" than a traditional English-type mixture. In fact, thanks to the Kentucky (burley) component, it immediately made me think of a much improved, much fuller version of, say, Epiphany.

Enjoying a bowl of Sextant today, I came to find that this blend goes beyond simply repelling non-smokers, and will in fact even clear a room full of cigarette smokers. That's quite an acheivement.

Really? I've had a ton of compliments on Sextant! I wonder if people in Reno are less sensitive to Latakia for some reason...the constant wildfires, maybe? :lol: The only thing that has made people high-tail it away is Pirate Kake...even Ten Russians people think someone is cooking something. Sextant, to one guy, as he sniffed the air said, "Tennessee barbecue...that's what that is right there..." :lol:

Go fig'gur.

8)

Lighting up the first bowl I have ever had of Sextant while Wallace Rooney plays Affinity and enjoy of cup of Guatemala Antigua coffee I roasted up this last weekend.

I profess I am not a flavored tobac enthusiast and tend to stay in english blends and VA/Per blends. Latakia and I have danced several times. I got this a sample from a friend of mine that owns a tobacco shop in the area.

Rum is not pronounced but is ever present. The gentle puffs of smoke is doing the job of shooing the gnats away. Living in the country out of the suburbs I discovered insects I never knew existed. Mouth feel is there but not over powering. Notes of spice dance on my tongue and tingle but does not bite nor overpowering. There is an underlying note of unsweetened cocoa. The room note is one of butter, light rum and spice.

Easily packed using the 3 pack and tamp method in my Tom Spanu 2001 half-bent apple. It burns nice and even with no tamping after lighting. The original tin has been open and has breathed probably for at least 2 weeks that my sample was supplied.

This has been a pleasant and solid as an old oak tree to smoke with very little change as it burns. Amazed how clean my mouth feels smoking this blend as I would not consider this a heavy nor light smoke.

Definitely one to keep stocked on for an enjoyable smoke and a nice switch up from my usual affair.

Brewdude":ncb8x9wi said:
Damn, looks like I need to get my tin open and smoked soon!

Procrastination.....my middle name...........

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR
I was thinking of changing my name to that, as well, but I keep putting it off.

glpease":dvoycp1y said:
I was thinking of changing my name to that, as well, but I keep putting it off.
facepalm.gif

Great. A comedian. :clown:

8)

I went ahead and ordered a few more tins of Sextant to cellar... But Chelsea Morning is still my favorite Pease English. I've got some old Ashbury I need to attend to... And Key Largo on its way to try for the first time!