I just tried Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I had a couple of days off. One of which was spent running errands, getting the oil changed, shuffling bits of money here and there for bills for "Z" and me, but I ended up at the Tinder Box while I was waiting for my truck to get the tires rotated, etc. Funny, it just happened to be close by! Totally not a planned move. No sir.

One of the workers and I were talking about Mac Baren products, because I really enjoyed (as did he) the new Old Dark Fired, but he was hesitant to try other varieties due to the bad rap "Mac Bite" seems to get. Of course, I mentioned Navy Flake and Plumcake, which have treated me (and my sensitive tongue) quite well. Then again, I smoke very pragmatically and with a purpose to flavor, so that likely helps. I have a feeling my "chemistry" also lends itself well to not intensifying any issues others may have with poor Mac Baren.

No sooner mentioned by me as something I've been meaning to try, out comes a fresh tin of Virginia No. 1, and suddenly becomes a sample for the worker (apparently they're allowed to try pretty much anything they like--jealous much?) and we headed off to a friend's house to go try it out at closing time.

The shaggy "ready rubbed" stuff is chunky, very golden, and smells really, really good. Mac Baren typically has a great moisture percentage in the tin, it's never too saturated--which means there's probably more tobacco in the tin than water, as we do buy this stuff by weight! I didn't need to do much, other than gravity-feed and pack down slightly the blend, and grab a lighter.

There's nothing I enjoy more than beginning to smoke a brand-new tobacco, one with perhaps a negative stigma behind it, and almost half-expecting people to be right--to suddenly take a few puffs and say, "...holy sh*t." I managed to catch some whiffs of the "room note" from the other guys, and it had one of the nicest, natural, balanced, ever-so-mild-toasted-bread-with-sugar smell to it. Even better than McClelland's FMC 2000--which surprised me more, realizing this blend has almost no up-front sweetness to it. Thank goodness. If it's worth mentioning once, I'll say it again: I don't like sweet stuff. At all.

Bright and bread-like, smooth as silk, excellent wheat-like nose, hint of orange, aromatic hops, just a touch of honey. DGT actually clarifies and crisps-up the blend, making it taste almost like a hefeweizen beer. It's refreshing, clean and full of personality.

I have been smoking this now for the last couple of days as my "morning smoke," when my tongue is freshest and only Virginias will do. It's below a "medium" on nicotine content, but lately, I've been after plug tobaccos, so it's possible I'm just not as staggered than I have been. Tea pairs up astonishingly well, a mild black or a green tea (unsweetened, of course) really compliments the flavors.

Mac Baren tobaccos, if approached wisely and considerately, can be as gentle as a sleeping kitten. Start roughing it up, or pick a difficult pipe, though, and the claws come out. It's all in the method, and this one is fun if you enjoy a challenge or trust your "puffing skills," or simply just don't trust hype (glowing or terrible). I can see this easily joining the ranks of some of my favorite non-matured Virginias, and this is fast becoming my favorite Mac'B product yet.

8)

Dang, Kyle. I just opened a tin of this today. I thought it'd get me back into review writing, but you beat me to it! I noticed that "hoppy, beery" background as well, especially in a cob. Smoking some in "The CornDog" as I type this.

Glad someone else had a good time with this.It can be a wily mistress when not smoked properly.

The room note combined with great smokability is what really makes this one stand out. It's not often a flavorful, good smoke also smells this good to others.

I'm really, really glad I tried this one! :cheers:

...a very nice smoke indeed...I have smoked this Virginia for more than 40 years...it is one of those that's under-rated as far as I'm concerned. Slow smoking works best and ages quite well...It has remained in my top 15 tobaccos in my rotation and will remain there. :cheers:

It's great to see some others appreciating MacBaren tobaccos. I enjoy most of the MacBaren non-aromatic line of blends. Their Golden Extra was my first introduction to 'non-codger' tobaccos back in the 60's. Virginia No. 1 was the second. I purchase both of them in quantity.
I feel that packing (how loosely or tightly) is also important in the enjoyment of their blends. If you find that a blend bites, or burns to hot, vary the packing density and try it again.

EC Outlaw":pyxcyfnx said:
I feel that packing (how loosely or tightly) is also important in the enjoyment of their blends. If you find that a blend bites, or burns to hot, vary the packing density and try it again.
How true this is.

Mac Baren's tobaccos, at least Navy Flake, Plumcake and VA No. 1, anyway, have this flake-but-not-flake roughed-up feature to them, which honestly, paired with the just-right moisture, are probably one of the few tobaccos I can just toss in a pipe, pack accordingly, and get a good smoke.

Maybe my packing method just works for Mac Baren (part instinct, part conscious choice on my end)--which is okay by me. Nothing worse than a loose pack and a hot smoke. I smoke almost exclusively flake, so the few ribbon-cut stuff I have can give me trouble once in a while, funny enough.

I am not fond of Va Number 1, but that's a taste issue.
Have you tried a looser pack? From my experience, a looser pack helps cool down MacBaren blends considerably.

Although I never see it mentioned here, IMO MacBaren HH Virginia blows their Virginia Number 1 out of the water. I have several tins of it cellared. It will never be more than "I smoke about a tin a year" blend for me, but Va Number 1 is a "never again".

I have smoked about an ounce of this so far. Compared to other tobaccos, I find the flavor a bit boring. I do like the lighter nicotine aspect. It is nice to be able to walk straight after smoking the pipe. :geek:

Micky B's Old Dark Fired was something that made fireworks go off for me, but there's a time and a place for complexity, and a place for just a solid tobacco... VA No. 1 was remarkable about what it wasn't, rather than what it was (term stolen from Yak :cheers:).

robd5, I'd be MORE than happy to send/trade you the leftover of my HH Mature Virginia for something, maybe your leftover VA No. 1! PM me.

robd5":7ta579dv said:
I am not fond of Va Number 1, but that's a taste issue.
Have you tried a looser pack? From my experience, a looser pack helps cool down MacBaren blends considerably.

Although I never see it mentioned here, IMO MacBaren HH Virginia blows their Virginia Number 1 out of the water. I have several tins of it cellared. It will never be more than "I smoke about a tin a year" blend for me, but Va Number 1 is a "never again".
The Virginia #1 is very good and blends well with other tobaccos. However, I don't think the #1 is the best recommendation for anyone just dipping into virginias as it is, IMO, the epitome of what can go south fast for the new virginia smoker.

Like, Rob, the HH Matured Virginia is a favorite of mine -- I age it and always have lots of it on hand -- one of my favorites for sure.

Until I discover otherwise, I keep noticing how great this stuff and I get along. Sometimes I get a little sensitive to the nicotine uptake, and I remember it happening around this time last year. Might be a seasonal/body chemistry thing. VA No. 1 is very gentle (but still enjoyable) in the Lady N department, and being as easy as it is on my tongue with such great flavor, I'm a pretty happy Weiss.

With my picky little tongue, I'm still amazed Mac B has given me such good smokes.

8)