I just tried Pipeworks & Wilke's "Nut Brown Burley."

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I couldn't stand it anymore. I've been staring at the bag for damn near three weeks, and had to dip into it.

This is my first straight Burley.

P&W has yet to provide me with a tobacco I haven't liked, and with my sample pack consisting of the two aromatics, Bleeker Street and Gotham Court, followed by the mild English blends, #5 and #13, and a sample of #191, the Nut Brown Burley was the last I had hanging around. Let's just say I waited so long because... well, it was altruistic. :santa:

It smells so, so, so good in the bag. If I were completely crazy, rather than just slightly touched in the head, I would have started chewing on it like an errant three-year-old. I opted, rather, to put it in the Danish Thrift (always my go-to choice for trying new tobaccos...not too wide, not too deep, not prone to ghosting...) That, and something nutty with someone nutty seemed a fitting finale for this, my first, P&W order.

My decision in judging tobaccos, because of my newness to them, has been simple, but complete. I've been really judging them based on how they light, how they sit "post-first tamp," which I find to be tell-tale and enjoyable, and the bottom 1/4 of the bowl, which hides secrets from no man. The Nut Brown Burley was excellent in both, burning relatively true throughout. Of course, the "fresh nuttiness" was much more intense as it was in the first part of the smoke, it mellowed out into a nice, dry, straightforward smoke as it progressed. Mid-bowl I got distracted and had an unintentional delayed gratification situation on my hands, but I was pleasantly surprised. DGT works great with this tobacco, at least in this circumstance and with this pipe, and even more nuttiness was achieved.

I had to be careful with this one, though it stayed lit, I packed it loosely, and was getting a little heat pepper mid-bowl, just before I sat the pipe down for a good five minutes to cool. This was a great accidental discovery, and I let the tobacco teach me how it wanted to be smoked. VERY slow apparently did wonders.

As with a single-varietal tobacco, it wasn't hugely dynamic, nor should I have expected it to be. It had body without having an unpleasant thickness. It was rich without being wet. It was dead honest, and the conversation we had was brilliant.

I enjoyed this bowl of tobacco very much. I'm not as intrigued, right now, with pursuing head-long into "Burley country," only because Latakia blends and straight VA's are really responsible for my piqued interest. There is, however, no lack of love for this Burley--if I were to try JUST a Burley, one of which from the reactions and joy it has obviously brought others, I picked one on which others could be judged. Even if it becomes a "close second" or third choice when I want to switch it up, it's only by a very, very small margin.

I'm pleased with this P&W product, and I will be getting more and exploring pairing with drink next time. It seems perfect for mornings, coffee and richer teas. The kind of smoke after eating some excellent waffles and a pound of bacon kind of smoke, when I've had enough "smoky" Latakia. This stuff rocks. 8)

my initial impression of Burley was that it was dull and that you had to be some old guy who had lost his nerve for big flavors. That quickly corrected itself, thankfully. I'm a Lat blend guy, but I usually smoke Burley a couple nights a week. It sings to me in a way that Va mixtures never have. Constant, pleasing, good from match to heel every time.

Kyle, you have it in one. This represents all that I seek and enjoy from a Burley blend. Absolutely brilliant, and your evaluation is spot on.

Well done mate!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

NBB is one of the true classic burley blends IMHO...containing all that is good in the world of burleys. The only disappointment is that when spooned right from the bag...it just doesn't taste as good as the aroma would lead you to believe. So I gotta agree with you on that. lol

So now that you've discovered how good this one is...if you haven't yet...try John Patton's Storm Front. Two burleys plus cigar leaf. It's like NBB blended for real men. Or something. The thing about it, to me, is that in addition to that great nutty sweetness at the outset, instead of keeping that same profile to the bottom of the bowl, it gets deep and dark and doubly delicious...the 4 D's. It coulda been 5 or maybe 6 but I'm just being lazy.

These things, BTW, seem to work best for me in taller bowls, that are more narrow than wide. A nice deep bowl that's like 3/4" to 7/8" is really good. SAY! That sorta describes the Missouri Meer Freehand! Whaddaya know! Really though, it should go without sayin' that any mostly or all burley blends like these would do really well in a cob. Cause they do. Just sayin'.

Thanks, guys. I really wanted to get to know this one, especially after I got paranoid thinking I did something wrong in the VaPer world--I think my approach is sound, just my tongue needs to grow into this hobby a bit. 8)

I've not tried anything with cigar leaf in it yet. I'm not opposed to it, I'm just not super hot on cigars--I'll just have to try it and see.

I think Burley in a nice, narrow-chambered cob would be PERFECT... looks like I'm gonna have to go shopping at Mars Cigars to get a couple for Burley when the time comes. 8) The Danish Thrift has a very middle-of-the-road bowl. I agree, though, go taller and narrower for sure.

I have been a HUGE fan of Nut Brown Burley for many years. It was the blend that introduced me to the excellent blends of Pipeworks and Wilke. I liked it so well that for a few years I had a Boswell pipe that was dedicated to NBB and no other blend. I agree that the pouch aroma on this tobacco is one of the best there is. It may not be complex but, boy, does it deliver on good burley flavor!

Smokey

Kyle Weiss":j4mdk84i said:
It seems perfect for mornings, coffee and richer teas.
I haven't tried this one yet, but burley (usually Prince Albert or Carter Hall) with a cup of coffee before the wife wakes up is how I start just about every weekend morning. Even better in the nicer weather when its still pleasant enough to sit outside. I'll have to give this one a try.