I just tried Rattray's Marlin Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I've discovered a few things in my tobacco adventures so far.

You know you like a tobacco when--

* You look in the bottom of the bowl and think, Aww, it's done already?

* You are having a particularly foul day and the blend you selected makes you wonder why you're so upset.

* You notice too much dottle in the ashtray and re-load it back into your pipe so you can have one more go at it.

I also have discovered tobaccos I like are more akin to a three-course meal. You get different flavors, melding and experience at every stage (or perhaps it is just a big stew that you really like, but stays consistent throughout). Some tobacco may be just meat, but no potato. Some skip right to dessert. Some are surf-and-turf, some are a hearty breakfast. In any case, everyone's going to have a favorite, and what food/meal they choose and why. I suppose as I get "better" at testing and trying, my favorites could be added to, change and even become five-course meals because I know what I like, and what to look for. It's not just eating (or smoking)... it's absolutely blissful, decadent savoring.

This is my glowing report of Rattray's Marlin Flake.

Yep, I had a bad day. I don't like the holidays. Never really have. The concept is cool, the actual events are largely a headache for the Western world at large. The best thing I did today was choose Marlin Flake.

Innocent-smelling and very "flake-like" in the bag, it rubs easily into smokable ribbon and chunk. This makes it light perfectly and easy to enjoy throughout the smoke. Starting out mild and toasty, the bowl intensifies in complexity from 3/4 down, giving notes of baked/toasted bread, bell pepper, even with a little red pepper I can only assume is attributed to the proper execution of Perique in the blend--which is good, as you know, Perique and I are very arm's length friends. Two arms, if need be. There is no tarry/rubber aftertaste, and the boldness and satisfaction of this actually mild blend is astonishing. A "full meal," quality, and just enough vitamin "N" to enjoy. Perfection.

Rattray's is quickly becoming one of my favorite blenders at this rate, and this one is at the top of that list.

100% behind this one--as you can tell from my lack of justification and criticism! 8) Also, neener-neener to those that think all I do is hate the stuff I try. :p :lol:

(...thankfully, my Diplomat cob with the half-piece of pipe cleaner was used, because I admit, I totally threw the dottle back in and went for more to satisfy my disappointment at the bowl being done... :oops: :lol: ....)

(Thanks to Natch, yet again, for supplying me with this tobacco revelation!)

The only Rattray's I've tried so far is HOtW. It's a staple in my rotation. Sweet, a little spicy, and rich. Just the way I like em. I like my tobacco like that too.

Heheheh Boxerbuddy needs a red-hot sugarmomma. :lol:

Rattray's has had me since my first puff. I had no chance in hell to resist. 8)

"Ratrace." :lol: I'll never forget that.

Marlin Flake is probably my favorite blend from Rattray. Delicious from the moment I first tasted it. Now I add a couple tins every now and then to my orders just to be sure I have plenty on hand.

BTW, JRCigars has 100g tins of Rattrays for $12.00.

Storm_Crow":0jl9x6zh said:
Marlin Flake is my fav VaPer...outstanding.
CavVaPer? *shrug* :lol:

Seriously, is anything with Virginia and Perique in any amount at all considered a "VaPer?" I was going on terminology based upon only the two of those ingredients were in a given tobacco.

Kyle Weiss":6kjew81x said:
Storm_Crow":6kjew81x said:
Marlin Flake is my fav VaPer...outstanding.
CavVaPer? *shrug* :lol:

Seriously, is anything with Virginia and Perique in any amount at all considered a "VaPer?" I was going on terminology based upon only the two of those ingredients were in a given tobacco.
If it has cav that doesn't make it a non-VAper in my mind. I think of it in terms of perique in any reasonable even if small quantity combined primarily with a base tobacco of Virginia.

Cav is not a base tobacco IMO, rather a condiment to mellow and smooth a smoke, so that disqualifies it off hand from making Marlin Flake a non-Vaper. I don't know how much cav is in it, but my guess is that it's significantly less than the VA content.

Now if it had almost as much cav as VA or there was another base tobacco thrown in the mix (burley) then one might begin to argue that Marlin Flake is no longer a VaPer.

In fact, I tend to turn my nose up at perique or latakia blends without cav (or at least a measure of burley). The cav doesn't bury these distinctive flavors, but it does take any harsh edge off them.

Storm_Crow":v188azuw said:
If it has cav that doesn't make it a non-VAper in my mind. I think of it in terms of perique in any reasonable even if small quantity combined primarily with a base tobacco of Virginia.

Cav is not a base tobacco IMO, rather a condiment to mellow and smooth a smoke, so that disqualifies it off hand from making Marlin Flake a non-Vaper. I don't know how much cav is in it, but my guess is that it's significantly less than the VA content.

Now if it had almost as much cav as VA or there was another base tobacco thrown in the mix (burley) then one might begin to argue that Marlin Flake is no longer a VaPer.

In fact, I tend to turn my nose up at perique or latakia blends without cav (or at least a measure of burley). The cav doesn't bury these distinctive flavors, but it does take any harsh edge off them.
I hear ya, and the Cav in this mix is certainly a background player--which is good, exactly how I like both my Perique AND Cav. Terminology can be a bit confusing, to say the least. In my tiny bit of experience, I have noticed it is much harder for a Burley to play nice with a lot of other "background" tobacco, so I prefer a majority of Virginia, which can remain subtle but seems, to me at least, to hold its own in mixes. Something for everyone, eh? Good thing, that. :lol:

My revisit to this tobacco tonight in briar brought out an equally enjoyable smoke...a few citrus lemon-like flavors, with a little more "pepper" came out this time...what a great smoke. What a GREAT tobacco!

I am smoking my first bowl of this as I type and :bounce: I am VERY impressed.

This is what my taste buds have been waiting for. Without doubt the best tobacco I have smoked so far, it is giving me that slight sweetness that I was trying to find in Aromatics but without any of the nasty chemical tang.

Opening the tin I got a hit of raisins, and a background hint of hops. The flake rubs out easily, and out of the tin it seems to have the perfect level of moistness but now that I am smoking it I think it needs a bit of drying out.

Consider me a VaPer convert :cheers:

Well, to be fair and honest, it's a "VaPer Light." I'm not a Perique fan, and the Perique in this is so thankfully wimpy, I can actually enjoy it.

It's one of my favorite tobacco blends right now, too. 8) I love this stuff!

Just trying my second bowl now. This time in a larger pipe and 12 hours drying time.

Sublime :D

Kyle,
If you like Virginias, and you haven't tried it yet, wait till you have your first bowl of Red Rapparree :p And you don't have to "fiddle" with it, just take from the tin , load and light :p

monbla256":bm4phe72 said:
Kyle,
If you like Virginias, and you haven't tried it yet, wait till you have your first bowl of Red Rapparree :p And you don't have to "fiddle" with it, just take from the tin , load and light :p
Someone else here on the BoB is a RR fan, too--it's been on my list patiently waiting for some time, now. 8)

Kyle Weiss":xb8p3pjx said:
monbla256":xb8p3pjx said:
Kyle,
Someone else here on the BoB is a RR fan, too--it's been on my list patiently waiting for some time, now. 8)
Take it off your list and get your order in, it's not expensive :p

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=3505

Like I tell people that see my crappy old Dell laptop and tell me to "...get a Mac..." I extend the same sentiment: This broke cur always accept donations. 8)

I actually just tried this also. I made a trade with Blackhorse and recieved some 1-2 year old Marlin and some 2004 Marlin. I decided to try the newer stuff because it's closer to what I'd be able to get if I liked it. I actually like this better than HotW which is in my regular rotation. I bet the 2004 stuff will be even better.

I love HotW but foe me its a little hard to tame sometimes. If my tongue is sensitive for some reason that day it tends to bite a little....its the only tobacco that does that to me. But I'm willing to endure it because I like it so much. This stuff didn't give me the impression that it would ever bite and it tastes similar...maybe deeper and a little less bright. I think I've found my no-bite HotW.

Kyle Weiss":6t69bgnr said:
monbla256":6t69bgnr said:
Kyle,
"Mon Blanc, age 256" has a funny idea about Virginia's. RR is an Oriental. It used to be a red Va plus a lot of Orientals plus just a touch of Latakia. Pretty lively stuff. It's the kind of blend you smoke in the afternoon as a pick-me-up if the ATF has your house surrounded, guns drawn, and is about to crash through your door.

I'm almost sure that, if it had been in existence, the Light Brigade all would have been smoking it before charging cannons on horseback.