I just tried SG's Squadron Leader.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
Of course, as with typical BoB generosity, I got a few things to try in my last tobacco trade, one of them was Squadron Leader.

Upon opening the carefully-wrapped parcel, I could smell the smoky boldness that lay inside--though at that point I had no idea what it was. What I did know: I had to find out.

Needless to say, among a lot of navy flakes of different vintage, I found this innocuous English-looking blend, and said, "Aha!" I stuck my nose in the bag and took a deeeeeeeep sniff. It reminded me of peat-bog smoked Scotch, pleasant outdoor fire pits, a good "European" smoke (as opposed to a hickory, applewood or mesquite--very "American" smoke smells). What a rippin' wildcat this stuff is gonna be! I was a bit intimidated.

I honestly thought the ambient, unburnt smell was actually stronger than the smoke. As I lit, I poured myself a glass of adult beverage, and some water as a palette cleanser. This, I can say, even in the new Diplomat Cob I'm breaking in, was tobacco that got better as I got to the bottom of the bowl. Usually they stay about the same, with my favorites being after first tamp and just before the bottom of the bowl. With Squadron Leader, it crescendos exponentially. The flavors were that of a seaside fire, fueled by driftwood and seaweed, with a bit of buttery roasted potato. Not sweet, precisely, but not lacking in flavor. I'm not sure what the flavor profiles for this tabac are, but I'm impressed!

Are you sure E? My 3 yr old EMP does not have a lot of lat. I think it was Oriental up front of the Virginia. I realize that our taste are very individual. So, maybe it is just my reaction. YMMV :alien:

I have some David Hasselhof's Electro-Magnetic Pulse, MisterE... I like it. It's very straightforward and "dry," but in a good way. The Lat in it is very, very light.

Kyle Weiss":n1qd8lub said:
I have some David Hasselhof's Electro-Magnetic Pulse, MisterE... I like it. It's very straightforward and "dry," but in a good way. The Lat in it is very, very light.
I don't get it, lol!

MisterE":pz5r8mhb said:
Kyle Weiss":pz5r8mhb said:
I don't get it, lol!
facep.gif

Never mind. :lol: 8)

DUUUUH!

Ok, I'm sloooow.

DH EMP..... DUH.... yeah, finally got it!

I actually meant Dean Holtz's Ever Messy Plug. It comes a little wet, so best to dry a little. :rabbit:

I'm a fan, but this is one that was a Jekyll and Hyde for me. Kind of temperamental, and smoked WAY differently in different pipes. Still, definitely worth getting to know.

Harlock999":zfvzhqzn said:
I'm a fan, but this is one that was a Jekyll and Hyde for me. Kind of temperamental, and smoked WAY differently in different pipes. Still, definitely worth getting to know.
I'm with you, Chris. Squadron Leader only seems to like a few of my pipes. I tend to prefer it in a more narrow (but not too tall) bowl. It's good stuff no doubt. But I'm still a bigger fan of Skiff Mixture :)

Stackle2":o7azuvej said:
Thank god we all use the glossary

\ :drunken:
I even put funny references in there to lighten things up a little, or confuse the hell out of people. Either way... :albino:

I tell ya what, my third full bowl of this, and I like it more and more. It gets better throughout the bowl. This stuff just gets straight-up character in the bottom quarter of the bowl. The smoked baked-potato-over-fire flavor is just nailin' me somethin' fierce right now. I'm drooling all over the place.

Thank you, Squadron Leader. Thank you. 8)

(this little sample bag sent by another member will not last forever...gonna go get some bulk in the next few weeks...)

I'm smoking some EMP, that I wasnt too crazy about when I first started smoking so I stuck it in a mason jar and forgot all about it until a week ago. I must say that it ages very well, the edge of the smoke rounded off very very well, I'll say that I'm about to get another tin of this stuff and let it sit for about 3-6 months. I got to try this squadron leader everyone speaks so highly of.

IronKnight":nxyy9ejj said:
I'm smoking some EMP, that I wasnt too crazy about when I first started smoking so I stuck it in a mason jar and forgot all about it until a week ago. I must say that it ages very well, the edge of the smoke rounded off very very well, I'll say that I'm about to get another tin of this stuff and let it sit for about 3-6 months. I got to try this squadron leader everyone speaks so highly of.
Oh man, EMP is another favorite of mine right now, too. If you like EMP, SL is a little heavier, both in body and smokiness, but if you dig EMP I'm betting you'll enjoy this one. 8) I'm really diggin' the Lat right now (even though EMP has something else besides Latakia that gives it that English "oomph...")... very good stuff.

Squadron Leader is good stuff. This is what I wrote about it in my Tobacco notes book:
Latakia mixture. Also contains perique. Appearance: mixture of browns and black. Medium cut. Smell: fruity, floral. Taste: dry, dark. Very good.
So far, I've only had one tin of it, but will buy it again some time soon.

Got some more on Saturday, and have just finished a pipeful in a clay. Wonderful stuff.

Glad to see someone else takes notes of their own experiences! I don't usually do such things, but the pipe/tobacco world is head-spinningly complex. I thought coffee was bad, this is way, way, way more difficult to keep track of. :lol:

Eventually I'm going to have to revisit these notes and see how my tastes change and/or evolve.

All of this talk of Squadron Leader was enough to fill my self-carved with a bunch, smoke it until it was ash. I think that's how you know you like a tobacco, when it feels like you just lit it, and some time later, looking forlornly in the bottom of the bowl and realizing it's done. :lol:

I haven't written any notes on SL in a while.

It's funny how things change. While I still really like Squadron Leader, it's taken a back seat to some other mixtures that I rotate more frequently, and I think I know why.

Squadron Leader is a unique tobacco, and like any quality mix, if you aren't in the mood for it, why pick it up?

In regard to Latakia, there's mixtures that have more and mixtures that have less. Often I find myself just wanting a touch, or I want a BLAST.

It still smokes bold yet smooth, but a lot of the waxy, roasted potato flavors I used to reach for every other day. Since six months ago, it seems to have diminished a little for my palate. It's not a particularly dynamic mixture, but again, it's SL: it's not lettuce, milk, bread or eggs, it's that lamb shank I pick up and throw in the crock pot (and finish with lentils) once in a while when I'm just in the mood for something that tastes just that way. It's that crazy friend that only calls once a month that you think to yourself, "I haven't had a night like that in a while, let's do this." It's the spot of solitude you seek when other places just won't do.

It's that bad analogy you realize has gone overboard when you've used them all up and decide you should quit while you were ahead...

...but overall, something I will never turn my back on and am wise to keep around for when the urge arises.

8)

Great...now I have to find a sample of this to try too? I am finding my tastes line up too closely with Kyle's, not that it seems t be a bad thing.