I just tried Solani 660 Silver Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get to this one for a while!

Long, bacon-shaped flakes that have a crumbly nature, they smell sweet and "fig-like." This stuff is filled with all of my favorites, red, bright and dark-fired Kentucky (though the Kentucky and I have had a strange past...sometimes it hits me in the tongue wrong...).

Let's just get right to the point: If Embarcadero is a sweet, delicate Princess, Solani Silver Flake is the street-smart, life-refined chamber maid. One who knows her place, but can easily fit into all realms, uppity or low.

There's a proper stitching and meshing of flavors in this stuff that is unique and amazing. A very gentle, salty, lemon-like cacao flavor came at first light, and when the tobacco opened up, the Kentucky lent a just-right spicy notion on the tongue, the reds gave that waxy, sweet and bread-like tone I enjoy so much. Any bright notes are very subdued, much more so than I would have guessed, only because this flake is pretty dark-blonde in color--yet it smokes like it has some age on it. Mid-way to the end of the bowl the Kentucky makes way to the other tobaccos, and the spiciness lifts and there's a lot more body. Much like having a spicy appetizer and finishing strong with a hearty main course. Those cacao whiffs happen every so often while smoking, and are very pleasing, like someone walking by with a cup of dark hot chocolate, but that's all you get...

...I did try this stuff relatively fresh, and I cubed it up in a Peterson. It didn't need much drying, but it was a titch gummy, and with the rain/snow outside, I wanted to play it safe. It performed beautifully and was extremely satisfying. Nicotine levels are present but moderate, and come on gently.

Delightful stuff. I truly think anyone could like this stuff. The subtle-lovers will have a field day wondering what tiny whispers come next, those that enjoy a bit more of a shout can load up on a bit more and stuff it in a large-bore pipe. The gal seems to be able to handle quite a bit. Forgiving, realm-appropriate, adaptable and delicious.

Can you tell I like it?

8)

Worst. Packaging. Ever. Seriously. No vacuum seal? No seal at all. Cellophane? Not adequate. None of us have any idea how good this tobacco is, because it's had limited exposure to atmosphere all the way from packing to you. Very disappointing choice in packaging. I wonder how many people buy these 100g tins and stick them in the cellar without thinking about it. No excuse for not being in a vacuum sealed or bean dip tin. /rant

One of the two owners of the B&M I go to is a pipe smoker and he likes a variety of Solani's 'bacs and I've seen this one on the shelf. Sounds pretty good but at his price ($35.00 + tax) for a 100g tin it's WAY to pricey for me :p Even from e-tailers it's more than Dunhill or GLP's or McC's so I may have to wait til I get given a tin to give it a try :p Damn my Scottish mother :twisted:

I agree wholeheartedly with you on the packaging.

That said however, Silver Flake is absolutely without a doubt one of my favorite VA forward Virginia/dark fires combos. Perhaps R.A. Will has some sort of reasoning behind the packaging of this tobacco, who knows?

Anyway the more I smoke Silver Flake, the better it gets. I have dedicated a pipe to it. I get a poignant natural Virginia sweetness from SF. That combined with the dark fired makes for one fantastic, satisfying smoke. I love the forwardness of the spice that SF has when smoked fairly fresh. SF sweetens noticeably with age, my first tin that I picked up a little less than a year ago is already displaying marked differences to the baccy from newer tins. Silver Flake is one of the few tobaccos that I can smoke any time and it will instantly put me in "that zone."

Nice Review Kyle.

alfredo_buscatti":i1nu9us5 said:
I sold a jar of this, about 5 y/o, in the great purge this year:(.
That and the 2003 Cumberland. :(

Not to rub it in or anything.. :p

My biggest regret of the big purge was being flat broke during the high point of the fire-sale.

The stuff I have is in a jar, so I'm not sure about the packaging. I see it comes in some kind of large tin...

...so, good thing there's sealed jars available to us? :lol:

This batch ain't gonna last long, I guess I'll contend with putting the lot of it, when I eventually get more, by putting it in jars.

This stuff is that good. I can only imagine what a little age does for the stuff.

8)

Left this stuff a bit too long in front of the fan... ugh. Big mistake, but I had to try what it was like. Some tobacco benefits from being on the dry side, some more moist...this is very much the latter of the options. I never like tobacco this dry though, egad. :lol:

The moisture as-is from the bag of this stuff is about right, but as I stated before, with it raining and snowing yesterday, as can happen with smoke being in a more humid environment, I needed a slight safety zone so I could avoid swampiness dulling the flavor. Yesterday was ideal, today being sunny and decent, and the tobacco as a cracker--egad. Glass half-full: a bowl of really good but too dry tobacco is better than a bad one at perfect moisture.

8)

Just jarred up some of this and Solanii #633.

The flakes were of the same moisture as PS flakes, which is to say on the dry side but not brittle. Frankly I like this in the PS blends.

I can see what has been said about poor packaging. They weren't vacume sealed or otherwise protected. Only glad I jarred them up now rather than later.

If they perform at the same level as the PS flakes then I'm happy. Have yet to smoke any.

Cheers,

RR

sisyphus":b2f1qspz said:
Worst. Packaging. Ever. Seriously. No vacuum seal? No seal at all. Cellophane? Not adequate. None of us have any idea how good this tobacco is, because it's had limited exposure to atmosphere all the way from packing to you. Very disappointing choice in packaging. I wonder how many people buy these 100g tins and stick them in the cellar without thinking about it. No excuse for not being in a vacuum sealed or bean dip tin. /rant
I just remembered that I have had a 100 gram tin of this sitting unopened for two years. I ran down to open it and check the condition. It is ideal, but I still jarred it for future use.
I do have a tin of 633 that I bought a month ago and i found it crispy when removing it from the cellophane. Unfortunate, as there tobacco is usually very tasty!

I better jar up my tin of this and some PS LBF I got for Christmas this morning. I hope I enjoy this as much as you have Kyle.

Clay":vwija92z said:
I better jar up my tin of this and some PS LBF I got for Christmas this morning. I hope I enjoy this as much as you have Kyle.
I hope ya enjoy it, too! It seems to have gotten the attention of more than a few guys, and for good reason.

Yeah, that cellophane packaging bit is a mystery. I'd push to suggest it'd be better to get a fresh batch of this and jar it rather than relying on good ol' tin aging in this case. :lol: I wonder why they chose this packing method. :scratch:

If you come to find your 660 is cracker-dry, try this:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t18880-a-tobacco-rehydration-trick?highlight=rehydration

8)

Today I closely monitored the pipeful as it dried...just to what I thought was perfect.

And boy, what a nice smoke. Gentle as a sleeping kitten, and just as fun when awake...

...:cheers: I LOVE this stuff.

8)

I think Coltrane and 660 would be an excellent pairing! Sounds like a plan. :D *rummages through CDs*

8)

Silver flake is a lovely tobacco. I like mixing it with some varying amounts of Solani Burley Flake. Delicious combo. 60/40 in favor of Silver and 50/50.

Just my 0.2

I jared up the Silver Flake today along with PS LBF, and left a bowl of each to try, :cheers: Orlik Golden Sliced may be my favorite blend and these are right up the same alley. I have an unopened tin of Wessex Golden Virginia Flake that I hope is along the same lines.

Clay":vb5jpo3o said:
I jared up the Silver Flake today along with PS LBF, and left a bowl of each to try, :cheers: Orlik Golden Sliced may be my favorite blend and these are right up the same alley. I have an unopened tin of Wessex Golden Virginia Flake that I hope is along the same lines.
Some good tobaccos in that list my friend! Enjoy!