I just tried Wessex Burley Slice (2005)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...at least that's what I think it is: s.ireland, clarify? :lol: (and thank you!!!)

Well, this was a Burley that stood up and said "hello!"

Dark flakes rubbed out relatively easily and went into my Jilsa three-star Blowfish. It's a great flake pipe, and usually only light VAs went in there, so I wasn't too concerned about any ghosting--which concerns only came about after the fact, because I didn't know what to expect from a Burley like this. Beautifully aged, it smelled slightly of typical sweet Burley, with some obvious fermentation action going on.

Lighting and keeping lit was a joy--perfect dryness (as I received it). "Dynamic" isn't what I'd call this blend, but it is bold. Never before have I experienced Burley in such a pure form and had it be so stately. At first I didn't get much, first 1/4 bowl or so, it really needed to blend with itself and a tamp before it started to open up. Flavors of toasted sunflower, seedy-wheat, some light molasses and a solid cigar-type flavor came through--very good kind of cigar flavor. Not to be confused with the flavor one would get from "cigar leaf" added to a blend, more in the way it smoked, the thickness and simple boldness of a darker type leaf. Not being a cigar smoker, I can't delve into any specifics.

From about 1/4 to the rest of the bowl, it was as steady as they go. It's a very forgiving tobacco, big without the bite, I suppose one could say. Low-and-slow was tactically a good approach, however, a few hasty tugs didn't give much bite, in fact, it released a little of that enjoyable "Burley tongue" one could expect from a typically alkali leaf. Personally, I like a little attitude on my Burley, which can be in the form of some pepperiness rather than "bite." It never got unruly, never gave me trouble, and was all business (the good kind) start to finish.

A revisit in other pipes and scenarios is in order. I think as an early day smoke, this is alright, but I'd really like to pair it up with some whisk(e)y or other stiff drink at the end of the day, or to finish off a big meal--rather than tea and morning sunshine ala today. I'm assuming from this vantage point that a post-big-meal kind of smoke would be very well-suited to this blend. Vitamin "N" was moderate and just about right.

It's one of those blends that I can't say would be a daily favorite, but is just the right thing when that time arises, and I'm sure you all know how it is, when everything else (even an old standby) would be too flashy, too mild, or too sweet, this is just the right no-nonsense to go to. If you like Burley but couldn't find one that had any backbone, give this a shot.

8)

Glad you liked it, Kyle! Yes, it is from 2005

"Flavors of toasted sunflower, seedy-wheat, some light molasses and a solid cigar-type flavor came through--very good kind of cigar flavor. Not to be confused with the flavor one would get from "cigar leaf" added to a blend, more in the way it smoked, the thickness and simple boldness of a darker type leaf."

You and I are on exactly the same page with this one! I too got a very cigar-like notes from this no-cigar leaf blend. I am not a regular burley smoker but when big, bold burley goodness is desired; Wessex burley slices delivers.

As far as the molasses flavor... This blend is cased with molasses!

I may be nuts, I may be full of crap, but let it be known my tongue may just be the most refined part of me. :lol:

I'm a fan of the dark, matured and aged Virginias, I suppose some similar Burleys are in order. Yet another rabbit hole to fall into!

Now, I did happen to recently get some C&D Burley Flake #4... I don't think it's quite the same animal, but my Burley adventures have only just begun. C&D BF#3 has Perique in it, which immediately makes me chinscratchy unto whether I'd like it--if the lightness of the VA and Burley allow even the hint of Perique to get unruly, I'd be disappointed. I'll wait for a sample to cross my path. Now the Solani 656? That's right up my alley, and would be a good comparison to this one.

:cheers:

8)

If yer bichin bout the little bit of Perique in B#3, then you certainly shouldn't waste any money on Exhaused Rooster...which has it in spades!

IMHO Burley and Perique are a match made in heaven...as are Burley and VA...and then there's the Triple Threat: Burley/VA/Per...such a treat. But more recently I've become enamoured of the new song...the QUAD: Burley/VA/Per/Turkish (meaning Smyrna I guess).

The blend as a band analogy: There are several blends out there to which the Turkish gives a subtle new 'sound'. If the blend is like a rock band playing in your bowl...then the Burley is the Bass (maybe George Harrison)...the VA's are the lead guitars, wailing out their wild or mellow tunes (Carlos Santana or Jimmy Hendrix)...the Turkish is more backbeat like a laid back drum line - while the Perique?...Oh Yeah Baby! That's GOTTA be the COWBELL!!! lol

As a synth player, I'm a cowbell coward. In the pipe world, I'm the Perique pansy. :lol:

So far, Rattray's is about the only one that's included Perique in the blends that I can deal with. Now, I will always try a tobacco before I judge it based on content--but, like Exhausted Rooster, which is a known Perique bomb, I know to skip that one for now. :lol:

Posts makin' me laugh as always, BH....

8)

Solani 656 is good stuff and very mellow. It might take a bit to succumb to it's charms though. My first impression was "boring" but now one of my faves.

The C&D Burley Flake No. 2 is good, and "Perique-less" for those who can't embrace their inner Acadian yet. :p

My own burley journey began with the entire genre seeming overly bland, ashy tasting, giving me dry mouth, and often too high in nicotine. But, as with scotch and cigars, a patient willingness produced a learning curve that paid off. It must surely be a matter of mouth chemistry, at least for me. This was about three years or so back, and I was smoking mostly Virginias and vapers, and also had a fondness for cyprian lat blends. Like Kyle I was determined to give new tobaccos a fair shake, allowing for variables in life that can affect impressions. But, burleyweed just wasn't doing it for me, much as I wanted it to.

Then I lost about 60 pounds and was working out avidly, and had changed my diet. Within a short time I found my tastes changing, and suddenly my fondness for perique dwindled (still like it in smaller doses) as did my enjoyment of Cyprian latakia (can't really stand it anymore except in the smallest of doses). But the burleyweed experienced changed too, for the better. Suddenly I could taste that nutty, buttery quality I heard others speak of, the toppings and casings came alive for me, and the dry mouth thang disappeared. Wessex Burley slices was one of the biggest changes. My brother loves the stuff, and I had tried it several times. It totally dried my mouth out, like the driest, oaky cabernet can. All that changed, happily. The rich delicious molasses infused smoke now shows it's qualities that were lost on me previously. It's now among my favorites. What I get from it is a sweet, almost floral incense impression at first light, and after it settles down the tobacco becomes nutty, creamy molasses, but subtle and somewhat subdued. I find that this tobacco is very fond of clean, small pipes, clean meaning no cake. The tarry cake of burleweed just dirties the flavor,IMHO. I have a few small Stanwells dedicated to WBS and Uhle's 00. For me, this fine flake shines when sipped slowly and carefully in these little pipes.

Indeed! One must be a premium example of the human species in order to fully enjoy Burley. I guess I hadn't noted this obvious connection before...but after reading of your experience (which mirrors my own) I'm forced to concur. I used to correlate my dwindling fondness and then outright aversion to latakia - coupled to a growing enjoyment and then almost complete preference for Burleys to what I called, "the change". My wife and several of her friends underwent somewhat the same sort of thing...but hers had very different symptoms. But now I see that, for me, it was just the result of having become an almost ideal example of manly perfection. Pity the poor latakia drones, puffing away in their orcish throes of wannabe delight. Perhaps someday they too will cross over into the light. One can only hope.

Blackhorse":d4a9h2lw said:
But now I see that, for me, it was just the result of having become an almost ideal example of manly perfection.
:lol: Don't be so modest man, tell us how you really feel! :lol:

There is most certainly a correlation between taste reception and health/ level of fitness, regional location, weather, pattern of culinary history. I'd agree that changing some of these factors can be both better for you and possibly better for your enjoyment of tobacco, but I have sufficient shortcomings in other areas to not feel that I've achieved any kind of superiority - physical or otherwise - over anyone else because of it. Even over latophiles and connoisseurs of meatloaf ;)

Blackhorse":dxxxjflg said:
...then the Burley is the Bass (maybe George Harrison)
This is a very entertaining thread, in the same way that watching a foreign language game show can be kind of entertaining.
I don't really know what's going on, but it's fun watching foreign people being... "foreign"! :lol:

However, George Harrison was not a bassist...

To my way of thinking, Meatloaf has always been highly over rated.

meat_loaf-signed.jpg

Blackhorse":ha9dwe4b said:
To my way of thinking, Meatloaf has always been highly over rated.

meat_loaf-signed.jpg
Hahaha!

I think Wessex has their next P&T layout...

"Wessex Burley Slices: Truely the Meatloaf of pipe tobaccos"

meat_loaf-signed.jpg

Kyle! Great review. Glad you could join us on the dark side.:cheers:

Yak":9kxzp7vd said:
Burley IS the meatloaf of tobaccos :lol:

:face:
Oh man, that's thrown me into a fit of deep spiritual and ethical self evaluation, meatloaf being one of the unpardonable sins in my world view. But I feel I must sub-categorize and Delineate between the sins, some being acceptable Sins of humanity (I'm only a man!) and some being mortal sins that will bring forth hellfire and eternal damnation. Country Pate' I can morally live with, and like a finely blended burleyweed such as Wessex Burley Slices I ask no pardon and find that this is a forgiveable sin of the flesh. Mom's meatloaf with ketchup on top, like Blueberry Burley Surprise, will find you tossed out on your ass by St Peter. ;)

I smoke mostly burley. I like the Wessex, but don't care for the casing. If you want something more true to a pure burley taste, I would try the C&D stuff. The burley flakes, Big N Burley, and #808 Burley Straight. The venerable Peretti's 333 is perfumed, which they don't mention in the description. Likewise Uhle's Perfection Plug is topped with chocolate, as is Solani 656.