I like big bowls, and I cannot lie.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DireWolf

Reaction score
So. Another question thread.

I just bought this Ardor estate a bit ago:

A0Kdq64nIZT9BLroRbmew4jNFh9Gx-VRKXStSFkrRmy7Fd5ImeyPvCbjE6cqmQNqXSPQTPvnoY2z6gaySy1CF1bPNCiHx_SqLajPIqpV8UOqs16QBsNJEMQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Now this thing has a huge bowl (for me).

Maybe .85" diameter chamber, near 2" deep. Middle finger inserts to a couple knuckles up, and it's plenty loose.

Anyway - what are you all smoking in bowls this size?

Whatever it is, I think I'll need to make sure it's dry, as I either smoke wet or don't dry out tobacco quite enough.

I'm chomping at the bit (not sure if that's pun intended or not) to smoke it, as it's not only the nicest pipe I have, but it's by far the most aesthetically pleasing one I own. Feels good in the hand, and is lighter than most other pipes I own. I'd rather blow it out smoking it than have it be a cabinet queen.

That one has all the earmarks of a FANTASTIC Red Va Flake pipe for sure !! It's nice and wide and deep, almost Pot like in dims which will allow a nice dry fully rubb-out flake to open up and give ALL the subtleties inherint in these blend/mixtures !! If it were mine, I'd have already run two to three bowls of McC's FM 2000 thru it !! :twisted: :twisted:

I also like'em on the big side :D I smoke dang near anything in them I want; although Latweed and Ginnyweed I enjoy the most. Burley's and such I prefer in a smaller bowl (DH 4 or less). Enjoy your big boys!! :cheers: FTRPLT

An often asked question, and the usual answer is that the large bowl is especially well suited to flavorful tobaccos -- aromatic and complex English, the better to coax the taste out of them. Now and then, someone chips in the opinion that mild tobaccos are also well suited to large bowls, again attempting to maximize taste from larger surface areas. No reason to set the first opinion against the second, I'd say.

A related question is, "If I don't have an hour and a half to smoke a large bowl in a single sitting, is it okay to let it go out and take it up again later?" To which I think the answer is, yes, if you've packed it with some care, smoked it slowly (so as to avoid overheating), and run a cleaner through it so it won't be wet while waiting for round two.

I hope you enjoy your handsome new pipe.

If you like big bowled pipes... and huge pipes in general, check out David Jones. Great quality, incredibly light (very well aged) and very fair pricing. Mine was like $125 shipped I think. Pics of mine can be seen in this thread

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t29411-so-apparently-i-was-a-good-boy-for-christmas-pic-heavy

His website is www.davidjonespipes.com he puts pipes up on eBay every week, or you can email him for a custom pipe.

No affiliation, I just love my pipe by him and plan to get another.

She's a beauty Wolfie! Congrats. As for what to smoke in her, I'd say that is so subjective as to be almost rhetorical. Smoke what makes you smile brother and puff with abandon.

That is one beautiful piece of briarwork. Having smoked both large and small briars for about 50 years my experience (and of course it is only my humble opinion based on that experience) is that you can't beat a good quality Oriental mixture in a pipe of this size. Blends such as Dunhill London Mixture, Durbar, Cornell and Diehl Star of the east or Mountain Camp, or Macbaren's HH Vintage Syrian all should deliver to you a tremendous nuance of various flavors. Especially being a bit of a wet smoker myself I usually stick with the above type mixtures then if the pipe gets a bit wet during the smoke I know it is probably my saliva to blame rather than a wet aromatic, but to each his own. Conversely, I find my smaller bowled pipes such as smaller bent bulldogs and billiards tend to deliver a nice smoke from any good Virginia flake such as Capstan, Dunhill or of course, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia flake. Whatever you load into that beauty should be a great experience.