I like big steel.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I picked this up a few days ago via the A site. 5160 steel. Differential hardening. Convexed edge. Hand ground. Stock reduction spring steel. Massive. Cheap. Agricultural tool level fit and finish. Darling of UTube preppers. I have a Bark River Golock made from A2 steel - astonishingly tough. I have several Parangs from the Bidor forge in Malaysia. Very good native craft. This will be added to my growing pile of Zombie choppers.

Aranyik e-Nep made in Thailand. Very highly regarded. $39 plus shipping. The maker, Miles, is in Hawaii. He's out sourcing water stones til early June, but a Google search on Aranyik will produce numerous designs. Fun stuff. Serious stuff.

Oh!  Handle = 7". Blade = 12.5". Width at belly = 3.5". Weight = 1.7 lbs.

hqdefault.jpg" style="width: 480px;height: 360px

https://youtu.be/D3BkyxRn2Is

https://youtu.be/ZZa8N7PnTAY

Just for fun...here's a link to a post I did some time ago re Malaysian Parangs.

The ones I swear by are made in Bidor. The real deal. Lots of info and links.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t27878-authentic-malaysian-parang?highlight=Parang

I think Miles will be back from his trip on June 3rd or so. There are cheap copies of his blades on eBay, but I'd stick with him. Besides, $39 for one of these is pretty crazy.

Also, FYI: maybe you can connect via this address...

[email protected]

Also...

I strongly recommend you not pull up photos or Vids on UTube of these as it will make you crazy...

Bwahaahaaahaaaaa!

hqdefault.jpg

my-parang.jpg

Nothin' like cold steel to gaze upon. I have a nice standard Ghurka army-issue kukri that I picked up back when they were quite cheap. Wish I had a use for it. I'd leave it out for display if nothing else, but I'm afraid of an irate guest grabbing it and attacking me, or someone breaking in and using it on me before I have time to wake up and put a .45 slug center-mass.  ;)

New York certainly is a dangerous place all right. Can't be too careful.

Around here we have to check 'em for guns at the door. If they don't have one, we give 'em a loaner.

OK...here's a BFD.

I just noticed that the pics of the Thai e-Nep above have 3 pins in the full tang handle. That makes them the 2015 and prior version. I think that's right. The 2016 version, as shown on Amazon's site has 4 pins, a longer handle and is longer overall. Woo! Well, just being accurate. Photo of new one below.

Thanks for caring.

I got the damn Zombies on the run fer sure!

813hd12blpL._SY355_.jpg

Initial Unboxing Reaction -

The Thai e-Nep came in from Kauai just a bit ago. The beast blade was really well wrapped but ultimately yielded to my hacking, sweating and ripping. In short...O...M...G! The thing is just huge. And heavy. And gorgeous. The hand!e is reported to be Eucalyptus Wood. It's really pretty.

I think I'll name this one the "Bunyang". It's kind of an Asian version of "Bunyan" - you know, as in Paul Bunyan. Yeah, it's just that big.  I wonder is Paul Bunyang had a blue Water Buffalo named Babe.

Anyway, this has GOT to be the best $39 outdoor kit purchase I've ever made.