I lost my little girl this weekend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaluddite

Reaction score
I lost my little girl this weekend.

No, it is not a child or a wife. It was my dog Annie. We’d had her for 15 years, ancient in dog years, 85lb at her peak. We finally had to have her put down on Saturday. I loved her dearly.

I fell in love with this silly beagle/basset/etc. mix the first time I saw her at the pound. She had the most expressive brown eyes. She was not the most compliant of dogs, very smart but she wanted what Annie wanted. But she was easily the sweetest.

As she aged, she lost an eye to cancer. She could hardly see and hardly hear. Hip dysplasia rendering her back legs almost useless, which meant that we had to help her up and down the steps to pee and poo. Elder dementia meant that she would go into a corner and could not find her way out. Sometimes she would stare into space and bark for no reason. We considered having her put down weeks ago, but she always seemed to find some joy in food and in being loved.

Finally on Saturday morning, we were feeding her leftover French fries. She went into a full grand mal seizure. God was telling us that it was time. We carried her urine soaked body (she voided both ways during the seizure) to the emergency vet and held her while they put her down.

The emergency vets were great. We got two sympathy cards from them, one of which included an ink stamping of her footprint laminated as a keepsake. That was really great. We will always treasure it.

I’ll never forget the look in her eye, the enthusiasm of her bay, or the joy in her heart. I feel slightly guilty because I cried much more over the death of this sweet girl that I did when I lost my Mother or my Dad. I know we are supposed to outlive our dogs like we outlive our parents. But this hurt so bad, especially since I had to decide when she should go. I am looking forward to seeing Annie again in a future life.

Will Rogers once said, “If there are not dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are.” ……Ditto!

[Unfortunately, I don't know how to attach an image here. PM for a picture.]

I feel for your loss. Had to put down 3 dogs in my life. It was the right decision but tore me up for a long time. I still lament their loss.

Consider getting a puppy when the time is right. It's great therapy.

Sorry for your loss Mega.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

I feel your pain, sorry to hear about your girl. We put down one of the two Westies we own last summer. She was 15 as well. Deaf, nearly blind and a bit of dementia. We were fortunate and our vet came to the house and she passed on in my wife's arms on her chair. She's buried behind our patio in a landscaped flower garden. I talk to her every time I pass by. We still have our other Westie, but she is my wife's dog and Maggie was mine. How many good dogs do you get in a lifetime?

My deepest condolences. They give so much, and leave an immense hole in our lives when they leave us.

Oh brother. Sorry for your loss.

I confess, I got a little teary eyed reading this.

They may have two extra legs, and speak a different language, but they ARE family. My sincere condolences in your loss.

Sorry to hear that. Having a pet put down is a hard thing to do.

Thank you for loving her so much and for giving her the wonderful years that she had. I am truly sorry for your loss. Last weekend I had to go through the same thing, only it was the dog that belonged to my 90 year old mother. I have already gone to the shelter and rescued another best friend for her and it seems like it is a match made in Heaven for both of them. Always dwell on the good times you had with her.

gravel":989h2sig said:
I confess, I got a little teary eyed reading this.
The same here.

My heart truly goes out to you. I have been through a similar experience in the past and it is heart breaking.

My thoughts are with you.

Condolances brother.

I've been through the same experience myself - and I still feel guilty that I cried more when losing my dogs than at many other tragic events .

When this last happened to our family (March '11) we replaced our dog with two new pups (boy and girl from the same litter) within two days. It really, really helped.

Best wishes

Jers

Not much to say that hasn't already been said by others in this thread...heartbreaking, really.

My condolences and sympathies.

Heal your heart soon, post pictures when you decide to adopt another friend. 8)

Many thanks for all the wonderful heartfelt comments. You folks are great.

We are in the process of getting another dog. We already have a shepherd mix named Winnie. Unfortunately, Winnie is not a good only-dog. She has terrible separation anxiety. She howls and whines all night long because she is alone.

The new guy we are getting from HALO (a local rescue organization) is a lab/golden/basset mix (three of my favorite breeds). We've not met "Buster"yet, but he sounds perfect. He is 5yrs old. Unfortunately he has been fostered for some time, but no one has expressed much interest. That is probably because he is a very different looking dog due to his mix. We will take Winnie to meet him on Saturday. And (unless they really don't hit it off) we will be bringing him to his new home that afternoon. I'll post pictures if I can, but have not been able to make attaching pictures work here.

Wish us luck.

Thanks again!

Great news about Buster - looking forward to seeing the pics.

(If you manage to post photographs please let me know how. I can't post a pic either - I think it's because I'm normally using an iPad).

I hope Winnie and Buster hit it off.

Best wishes

Jers