I love this place

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Happiness is a warm gun" has ....ummm....interesting lyrics.

Love is the special ingredient in EVERYTHING I make......what kind of brownie did you think I was talking about?? For shame :lol:

Let me join in on the hug and say that I really love this place too. You guys are such a great break from things for me. Charming wit, great conversations and just enough ornery to keep things fun.

kaiser83":plxbllfk said:
Brewdude":plxbllfk said:
Doan be dissin' the Beatles. Sgt Peppers is arguably their finest work IMO.

I'm a 60's guy.......

blumenkind.gif

Cheers,

RR
Who are the Beatles? I know the name but have never heard their music. Are they anything like Linkin Park or Jay-Z? The music of older generations interests me very much, although most times I don't see the appeal (Cher sucks).
WHO ARE THE BEATTLES ??? What rock have you been living under these past 28 years ? They are probably one of the MOST influencial band in the bast 50 years for so many varients of popular music!! ALL the bands you mentioned owe SOMETHING to what they did musically !!! :p
I prefered the Rolling Stones a bit more ( I'm more of a blues/jazz guy) but cannot deny what they brought to music :p

This onion went one too many layers of dry Snark de Internets. I can hear poor Monbla stomping his hat Yosemite Sam-style as I type this. :lol:

8)

Okay okay so I know who they are and probably have every album they put out, it is fun getting you guys going sometimes though when it comes to younger generations. It's the Beatles, even my kids sing Penny Lane. (It was so tempting to put Rocket Man in there instead of Penny Lane). SO sorry to not meet some peoples requirement for a good thread hijacking but golly gee maybe some "Help!" and a little less "Hey Jude" and ya might not be such a downer of the fun Yoko :D

Kyle Weiss":ls5bqkk2 said:
I never really figured out the Beatles.
You just have to be in the 'right frame of mind' to figure out some of their later stuff. Though I admit, the White Album is a little strange - even for me.

Here's one for Kyle - a lotta depth in the words...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ljnv3KGtcyI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ever know someone that offers you potato chips, and even though you say "I'm not into chips, thank you..." they ask, "...well, what about barbecue chips?...How about Doritos?...Fritos? There has to be something here you'll like..." Let's just say it's me, not you. Perhaps I just don't get it, or I'm feeble minded. :lol: Call me a freak and move on, works well. :)

I've heard the Beatles. I've listened to them. I've read their lyrics, pored over their music structure, and there's a formula there I just don't get--yet everyone uses it. It's good music, if you're into that sort of thing. It's not great music.

Lyrics are usually lost on me. I have a hard time understanding people's intentions when I'm paying for a tank of gas, so lyrics are like Psychological Algebra to a mental-math dunce. No wonder I prefer instrumental music.

8)

Kyle Weiss":csmv6gqq said:
Buckshot":csmv6gqq said:
Rumor has it they never really understood you either, Kyle.
No wonder they never call. 8)
They never write, either. I thought all the old folks were more into correspondence. My sister is kinda like that... :roll:

Funny thing about the Fab Four, I was never really into them all that much when they were together. Sure, I had a couple albums, and knew every one of their hits and singles. Had a bunch of them too. But never my #1 band back then.

Started really appreciating them the more I got into playing in bands as a budding guitarist in the late 60's/early 70's. By the mid 70's I was a believer and acquired a full set of their vinyl I still play to this day. In fact just got done running the set from the beginning. Love vinyl btw. Laugh if you want.

Innovative and creative doesn't do nearly enough justice. They changed the whole freaking direction rock/pop was going. Broke the rules, made new ones and broke those as well. Totally creative and free. And none of them were formally schooled in reading music.

We owe much to the groundwork the Beatles had to offer during their heyday. Even if you're not into what they did they clearly changed the fabric of music.

I was there. Saw it, experienced it, played it. Still influenced by it.

Am I some kind of expert? Hell no.

Just MHO from a guy who came up musically in the late 50's/60's and went through the end of Elvis and Doo-Wop, Mowtown, Soul, Top-40, and all of it.

OK, off the soapbox now......

anim_soapbox.gif

Cheers,

RR

kaiser, I like how you kept trolling until you got a bite. Well played bro.

:lol:

My favorite quote from Peter Townshend (NOT of the Beatles):
An interviewer commented that a lot of water had gone under the bridge since they started "X" years ago. The interviewer said, "You're not the same despirate young man you were when you started."

Townshend replied: "No, I am a despirate old fart. BUT NOT BORING, THOUGH!"

'nuff said.
Bill

The world was ripe for a new sound, after the newest sound of the time had become tired. It was a new era and a new attitude, breaking free from the jazz/blues-based music of the prior four (or so) decades as it made its way through. The times changed for the Beatles more than they changed for the times--if the world wasn't ready for it, it wouldn't have happened. It's a similar breakthrough that happened when Nirvana started to gain momentum in the 90s, after the 70s/80s wrestled and experimented with technology, music television and the harsher sounds of punk rock and metal. Nirvana is my generation's "Beatles." Similarly, they're just alright to me--few good tracks, well put-together, but they just focused the same beam of light in just the right way on the right people-surface. Timing? Innovation? I dunno. "But it's the lyrics!" A strange language good for those tuned in to the social world around them. I feel like I'm translating Navajo for the war effort at times. :lol:

Classical music periods all do the same thing, have their star composers and "new sound," it just quickens these days, and it doesn't take 50 - 100 years to change the tunes for folks.

I like sound and sounds (and hate them sometimes... :lol: )

It's a generational thing, brother. In the sixth grade, we all divided ourselves among those that liked The Beatles or the Stones. Across the pond, the devide was mirrored in the conflict between Mods & Rockers (look it up, kids). The Beatles progressed from that earlier pop music to the Sgt Peppers/White Album/Abbey Road work that has become iconic. The point of this ramble is not to worry, Kyle. You'll never "get" The Beatles as they were a product of a time you didn't experience. Now as for Nirvana, I once heard a guy play Nirvana tunes on a Sousaphone...