I may be done with pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not the authority the rest of these guys are but have travelled a path similar to yours. I smoked imported, hand rolled cigars for most of the last 10 years until I picked up the pipe 15 months ago. I seldom smoked fewer than 4 churchills in a day and quite a few more on golf or fishing days. I still have two humidors full of good cigars that I don't know if I'll ever smoke. I last tried a cigar over 6 months ago. It was a good dominican that had previously been among my favorites. It was work to finish it. They just can't compare to pipes in the flavor, pleasure of the smoke, or variety. And price, WOW what an unexpected difference. I buy a little bit of tobacco and an occassional pipe and spend less in 6 months than I was spending in one. Stick with it!

I'll echo the previous post on OTC's. I regularly smoke Prince Albert and have some Walnut. I smoke a lot of English, too, but I always keep Prince Albert around. The Prince Albert is a clean burley smoke that is a fine daily smoke for me. It is also easy to get, easy to light, easy to keep lit.

Good luck!

I agree with amount of cigars and cost :shock: I usually smoke 2-3 Padron 26's or 64's and an Opus or 2 per day*7days=Expensive habit :shock: I tried an Illusione 888 last night and could only get through half of it...Damn pipe :lol: I think pipe tobacco does sneak up on you and then you smoke a cigar and wonder WTF?? Well, off to Lake Kampeska for a smoke and some fishing while the wife and kids play at the jungle gym....and then the EVIL beast that is Walmart :lol!:

GoneFishng.........

I bet this is what happens!

You light the pipe and suck hard at it......... desperate search for full flavor and the like.
you smoke more butane or sulphur from the fire you use.....
you continue to draw in order to keep the pipe lit...... a frantic attempt to avoid another darn relight.
the pipe bowl gets hot...... the smoke gets hot..........
..........the the inevitable disaster........ your mouth burns......... everything goes dull and bitter!
you wonder what the hell you are doing this for............. and you are suddenly reminded of the fact that there are millions of other brothers out there who love the pipe!

I come from a pack and a half of chesterfield filter a day......... I expected the pipe to be the same, and found out it was quite the opposite.
Stick with it........ you will learn to love it. 80% of all people who pick up the pipe stop smoking it around the stage you are at right now!
Next time you light your pipe, spend more time preparing the pack. In this lies the secret to a fantastic smoke. I often foul up a good smoke by rushing through the packing process. 8 years later I still have the above crap mentioned smoke if I am not careful with my pre smoke prep.
Sit quiet and relax where no one will bug you and focus on the job at hand. Smoke slowly and gently and if the pipe goes out just relight it. There are no medals for guys who smoke a bowl with one light. Focus on the flavors and taste. Remember, if the bowl gets hot you are on your way to slicing your tongue with razor blades. The bowl should be moderately warm but never hot. Va's tend to smoke a little hotter than say burley.

In a nutshell ...... smoke at a relaxed pace and remember, that is why some refer to it as the "art of pipe smoking"
Stick with it brother, you will love it in time.
P.s. I often enjoy a beverage with my pipe. Coffee goes well for me. Avoid fizzy drinks tho'

When all else fails ...... ask the brothers here for help!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Read somewhere that:" A cigarette is to be smoked, a cigar is to be enjoyed, but a pipe is to be savored." Slow and easy is the only way to win this race.

Another way to look at it is that if smoking a cigar is like driving an automatic, then smoking a pipe is like driving a stick. It takes a bit longer to learn but can be so much more fun once you do. (I remember years ago admitting to some old sod that I couldn't drive a standard. He squinted at me and said: " What ARE you, a GIRL?".) :pale:

I smoke a pipe and both my cars are a stick! i guess it matches up. I can't imagine my sports car with an automatic, I mean whats the point? Any way it's a good analogy.

Justpipes":qvl24byy said:
Frost":qvl24byy said:
My wife taught me to drive stick. No lie. :lol!:
You must ah growed up in tha city! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not much of a Gambler but I bet his Wife has taught him a lot of things. HA HA HE HE. HE HAW
Ed
:lol: