I need a new percolator

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
After 15 years my beloved Farberware 12 cup percolator has ceased operation. Now before anyone suggests any wacky hipster presses or chemisty set drippers, I grew up drinking Eight-O-Clock coffee ground in a Kitchen Aid burr grinder and perked in a percolator, and that is what I drink now and will continue drinking. My dillema is that the Faberware brand has gone downhill over the past few years. I've done some searching on the net but nothing seems especially good or bad. So I thought it my be worthwhile asking if there are any percolator fans here and if you have any suggestions for a replacement percolator?
Thanks,
Mike.

MichaelM":x5zqjmq4 said:
After 15 years my beloved Farberware 12 cup percolator has ceased operation. Now before anyone suggests any wacky hipster presses or chemisty set drippers, I grew up drinking Eight-O-Clock coffee ground in a Kitchen Aid burr grinder and perked in a percolator, and that is what I drink now and will continue drinking.  My dillema is that the Faberware brand has gone downhill over the past few years.  I've done some searching on the net but nothing seems especially good or bad.  So I thought it my be worthwhile asking if there are any percolator fans here and if you have any suggestions for a replacement percolator?
Thanks,
Mike.
Ya know you can pick one up on eBay for a reasonable price if you don't mind used/restored.
People actually collect the older and vintage appliances as I did. Should be able to pick up a nice one for less then half of what they want for one of those plastic POS nowadays. ;)
You'll find a lot under Collectibles>Kitchen & Home>Kitchenware>Small Appliances> Coffee Makers.

As the wacky hipster coffee roaster round these parts...

nah...I'm gonna leave this alone...

:geek:

PozzSka":4q6xas1c said:
As the wacky hipster coffee roaster round these parts...

nah...I'm gonna leave this alone...

:geek:
As a "hipster" :)lol:) French press devotee, I did also, but - cool job, I bet.

PNW is the land of the coffee - I love it.

And beer.

Also good.

I think I see percolators in thrift stores and so forth these days.

Two years too late. I moved some of my parents' crap and several good ones from olden days (still in original boxes) got tossed. Run too hot for me.

FYI... I have the 4-cup Faberware purchased in '08. Its still chugging along.

Thanks all for the ideas. After some thought, I decided to order a new thermostat. The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.

MichaelM":0wuae0sv said:
Thanks all for the ideas.  After some thought, I decided to order  a new thermostat.  The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.
Did you check the heating element for resistance, that should tell you if it's the culprit or not. ;)

Cartaphilus":o6dbft8o said:
MichaelM":o6dbft8o said:
Thanks all for the ideas.  After some thought, I decided to order  a new thermostat.  The problem has to be that or the heating element, so for $10 I'll give it a try and see if I can resurect the old girl.
Mike.
Did you check the heating element for resistance, that should tell you if it's the culprit or not. ;)
That is now on my weekend to-do list!

I have a Presto 12 cup that I use rarely and a FarberWare 6 cup used daily. Both holding up well.

Consider one of the old timey ones (still in production) that you set on the eye of the stove. They are more convenient on a gas stove and they makes great coffee. But you have to keep an eye on them to avoid boiling over.

I know y'all have been waiting for an update on my percolator :lol!:
I finally managed to get her running again yesterday and had my first pot of coffee from the resurected Faberware this morning.  I was able to find a replacement thermostat and heating element at www.Cerinicoffee.com.  it turned out when I checked the heating element at Cart's suggestion it was bad.  Oddly, the thermostat was also shot (I wonder if the thermostat failed first and caused the element to fry).  The job was a bit more trouble than I expected as the new element had different connectors from the old.  Swapping them off the old element was easy enough.  Put her back together and she perked :cheers:
I know it would have been much easier and probably about the same cost to toss it in the trash and buy a new pot.  I just can't walk away from something that is well made and served me so well.  
Thanks again for all the advice,
Mike.

MichaelM":rxdrlz5g said:
I know y'all have been waiting for an update on my percolator :lol!:
I finally managed to get her running again yesterday and had my first pot of coffee from the resurected Faberware this morning.  I was able to find a replacement thermostat and heating element at www.Cerinicoffee.com.  it turned out when I checked the heating element at Cart's suggestion it was bad.  Oddly, the thermostat was also shot (I wonder if the thermostat failed first and caused the element to fry).  The job was a bit more trouble than I expected as the new element had different connectors from the old.  Swapping them off the old element was easy enough.  Put her back together and she perked :cheers:
I know it would have been much easier and probably about the same cost to toss it in the trash and buy a new pot.  I just can't walk away from something that is well made and served me so well.  
Thanks again for all the advice,
Mike.
Glad to hear ya got it back and perking for ya. I'm the same way, I never throw anything out I can repair. ;)

Great outcome Mike! Far more satisfying than buying a replacement too!

DGErwin11":lg3bg7a4 said:
I have a Presto 12 cup that I use rarely and a FarberWare 6 cup used daily. Both holding up  well.

Consider one of the old timey ones (still in production) that you set on the eye of the stove. They are more convenient on a gas stove and they makes great coffee. But you have to keep an eye on them to avoid boiling over.
I have a glass (Pyrex)10 cup that I've been using for the last 30 years that I use on my gas stove. And you do need to watch 'em but after using mine all these years I rarely have the boil over problem. I found mine in a hardware store that's still here in my 'hood and they still sell them as well as replacement metal grounds baskets that I've been thru a couple over the years. I've got one of those "drip" German coffee makers as well as a newer Kuereg that my daughter bought me a few years ago and I've never used, It's still sealed in the box and will stay there !! :twisted: :twisted: