I need a straight billiard pipe recommendation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzakiel

Reaction score
The more I watch the "Mad Men" show, the more I am liking the look and feel of straight billiard style pipes. There are so many brands... what are a few good pipes/brands to start considering? I like that straight, classy look, and my current (and only) pipe is a completely different style, so this might be a good second pipe. I definitely want to stick with briar.

What is you budget? Smooth or rusticated? You looking for a more slender appearance or something with some body to it?

Budget... I want something of good quality which will last a lifetime, but I don't want to spend a fortune... maybe under $100? I would consider this my "dress pipe" for taking to weddings, events, or anywhere where a giant Gandalf style pipe might raise some eyebrows. something I can pull out of a blazer and look classy with.

Probably smooth. Black or briar look. Don't mind a small silver band or similar. No gold.

Slender/classy would be my preference.

Classic; Comoy's, GBD, Loewe, Barling's Make, Sasieni

Modern; Ashton

You have a good problem -- sooo many to choose from. IIWU I'd go to the Cup O' Joes site which offers a lot of pipes, displays them well and is easily navigable. I recently bought a bargain-priced ($70) Aldo Velani, which turns out to be very nice, indeed. If you're feeling a little more rambunctious, try Wilke and Pipeworks. Carole (proprietor) offers a wide selection of new-to-you pipes, refurbs them beautifully, and the prices are more than fair.

I'm open to higher prices... that was just a first shot. If you could pick just one dependable straight billiard, what would you get?

A savinelli or Peterson st. Billiard in ANY of their model ranges would certainly "fill the bill" for sure. Here's something a bit more up-market which has a nice elegant, dressy look to it and would be a good "lifetime" pipe considering it's made by one of the finer pipe making firms in business today. An Ashton pebble grain XL. About twice what you originally stated, but not totaly outrageous in price. If I was looking for a Billard as you are and I had the scratch, I would get this one for sure :p

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ashton/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=112711

Peterson Killarney shape #86.

Like this one
imag0229.jpg
[/url][/img]

Mine is red but they come in a few finishes. Got mine at my local B&M and payed well under $100. Looks great at formal functions and is small enough to hide in a pocket when not being smoked.

You will do a lot better with the right second hand one than with a new one by anybody.
Even if you have to send it off to Dr. Dave to exhorcise the unclean spirits of Lakelands
past, you'll still be ahead with even a mid-range Comoy, GBD, Charatan (et al.),
provided you like vulcanite stems.

For that matter, a 20 or 30-year-old Stanwell will be very tough to top -- especially
if you get the chamber down to bare briar and start over without the bowl coating.

:cat: :face: :study:

I'm not sure what you're asking, since everyone makes a billiard of one sort or another. If you're asking for who makes the most classic billiard shapes, I would say the British and French St. Claude makers of yesteryear. Dunhill, Comoy, and several French companies come to mind. And Kaywoodie. Billiard shapes are very subtle in their differences; the "perfect" billiard, to my mind, has to have a very slight forward tilt to the bowl (judged by the transition side), must have a perfectly tapered bit, and the bowl to stem length proportions must be very well balanced. Otherwise, the pipe is a right-angle lump--functional, most probably, but an esthetic bore. Good luck, if this is the case. I've only seen one "perfect" billiard in my life, and it was a Charatan, not a marque known for elegant proportions. Dammit--it was on eBay, and I missed it by 25 bucks. Had straight grain and everything. I've kicked meinen arse ever since.

Okay, then, I'd heed the comments about the new-to-me market and not be quite so penurious, though I'm normally quite frugal myself. I'd go to Pipeworks and Wilke and peruse the pipe collections sections. H-31 is a billiardish GBD with a canted bowl that will set you back all of $85. Think you can get a new pipe with similar quality for that price? I'm thinking, no. Moving along to the Zagot collection, Z-64 is a Dunhill canted billiard for $235, and Z-77 is a Pipeworks canted billiard for $195. Ouch! Too much! you may think. I ask you, is anyone in your house going to miss a meal for the extra $100+? And you'll have the pipe for decades, congratulating yourself for your astute purchase as you puff it at sundry posh gatherings.

Also, when Carol at Pipeworks gets done refurbing these pipes they look like new.

Yes, you could lurk on E-Bay and pay less (maybe not, many of the bidders are nuts), but then you'll have to handle the refurb, probably, which may / may not go well.

Have fun.

Thank you, Mr. Kaplan. Glad to be "back." Truth be told, I lurked from time to time, just never posted anything. Saves a lot of effort and time. Don't tell anyone. ~ Your pal, Rick

Disclaimer : I have no connection (personal, financial or otherwise) with the BoB offering these pipes :

http://www.vikingclubpipes.com/

Scroll down to the Brakner billiard (most of the way down, right hand column).

Since you're looking for recommendations, THAT is a classic billiard, by a respected "name" maker at an affordable price I'd start with if I were starting.

:cat: :face: :study:

Thanks all... Yak, I like it! I need to get the W.A.F (wife approval factor) up to the appropriate levels and then hopefully it will still be available at that time. I think it may be a while, though... I've just made several pipe related purchases. :)

KevinM":ax7fek16 said:
Okay, then, I'd heed the comments about the new-to-me market and not be quite so penurious, though I'm normally quite frugal myself. I'd go to Pipeworks and Wilke and peruse the pipe collections sections. H-31 is a billiardish GBD with a canted bowl that will set you back all of $85. Think you can get a new pipe with similar quality for that price? I'm thinking, no. Moving along to the Zagot collection, Z-64 is a Dunhill canted billiard for $235, and Z-77 is a Pipeworks canted billiard for $195. Ouch! Too much! you may think. I ask you, is anyone in your house going to miss a meal for the extra $100+? And you'll have the pipe for decades, congratulating yourself for your astute purchase as you puff it at sundry posh gatherings.

Also, when Carol at Pipeworks gets done refurbing these pipes they look like new.

Yes, you could lurk on E-Bay and pay less (maybe not, many of the bidders are nuts), but then you'll have to handle the refurb, probably, which may / may not go well.

Have fun.
P.S. I should pick up on Yak's examp to say my only connection with this seller is satisfied customer.

Estates sell for half of what they would have sold new. I used to spend between $150.00 and $300.00 on the best estate I could find and got twice the pipe. But then again there's nothing wrong with new.