I need suggestions...please.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
I was a fortunate winner in Greyson's Capricious Destiny Game. I won a $25 gift certificate to 4-Noggins. I need some suggestions on some blends to sample. My palate is partial to VA's, but I'm willing to try anything once. I like flavor but I CAN NOT handle a strong "N" bomb.

Any suggestions??

Free tobacco...might as well try a John Patton blend since they are all the rage. I think he had one called Quadruple Virginia.

If ya want to stay with the "in crowd" get dome of Pattons blends, but since you are a VA lover, I'd pick up some of the bulk McC's VA's such as FM 2000 , bulk 2010, bulk 2020 etc :p

If you're okay with a little bit of perique, I'd turn that $25.00 into a can of Reiner Long Golden Flake. ;)

Not much nicotine in LGF.

If you'd like something with a VA base that's hearty, unique, delicious and represents the efforts of one (well, actually, two) of our own...try these:

John Patton's Dark Horse: Virginia, 2 Burleys, Turkish, Oriental, Cigar Leaf and Perique produce a medium strength blend with a smooth, full range of flavors...and...Oriental Dusk: Oriental and Cigar Leaf dominate this five tobacco blend, with both Virginia and Burley in supporting roles. This is a tasty medium strength smoke that won't bite. A wonderful blend for anyone who likes to DGT.

Mozjo...you may have seen me yapping about these blends here and there. Well, there's a REASON for my doing that. While I haven't tried 'em all by any means, the blends I've been touting of John's are absolutely killer! I mean, I'm not getting PAID to do this. Quite the contrary...it's costing me quite a bit as I keep adding to the stockpile here at the corral...so it's more like a 'mission' kind of thing. If you smoke VA's you likely want your blends to actually taste like tobacco. The blends I've been trying recently of John's represent a unique thing...balance and interplay of real and exciting flavors. There's the well-constructed base of VA's to be sure, but then the party starts and in come the Turkish, Perique, Oreintals and Cigar Leaf to really get things going...all done with such great imagination! To me, threre are only 4 guys in the country that are his equal, which is neather here nor there cause each one dances to his own fiddler and right now, I'm liking John's tunes the most!
John Patton is kind of like the Willy Wonka of pipe tobacco blenders. (there...THAT aught to go down in infamy)

(BTW: the Fab Four are Greg, Steve, Russ and John.)

GH Curly Cut and Curly Cut DeLuxe. For a period of 6? months I deemed them "European VAs" for their smoothness and alternative complexity. I can't recall why now but I believe I felt they were more sophisticated than American VAs. Sophisticated in what way? Good question; I'll see if I still have the review I wrote then and if I do post anything meaningful.

I felt the Deluxe was better, but this is open to question. It's the same tobacco cut from the same rope, but the Deluxe has some bigger pieces whereas the regular is fully cut.

Great suggestions so far, and congrats Moz. :D I'd only support/add John Patton's Storm Front, which I find has low-to-moderate nicotine, and tastes pretty darned good. Quadruple Virginia has made my head spin a little once or twice, as has Oriental Dusk.

McC's FMC 2000 is also light, flavorful, a titch sweet, and pleases a crowd.

8)

Thanks for the suggestions gents! I have a feeling my order is going to be more than the $25 gift certificate!

I'll let you know on what I decide. Thanks again!

You are right, $25.00 is not enough when you start looking through the 4noggins website. I was browsing & putting alot of tobacco in the shopping cart until I found a moment of reason. I decided to pull some of the tins off the checkout and buy them next month.

It is too easy for me to buy it faster than I can smoke it. As the saying goes, "My eyes are bigger than my bowl"

Well I have finally ordered some "samples." I went with three Patton blends:

Virginia Squire, Moe's Confetti and Crossroads. I can't wait to try them all!

My next Patton blends are going to be Oriental Dusk and Storm Front.

For what it's worth - 4noggins has some of the best customer service around. Due to "operator error" (that would be me), I had issues with my order over the holiday. Rich Gottlieb responded on several occasions over the weekend despite being closed to make sure I was taken care of. I will certainly be ordering through them again!!!!

Of your first 3, Crossroads has become my 'go to' blend for any time, any place. It's kind of his mild Balkan thing. In your next order you picked my no. 2 - Oriental Dusk...just a step up on the flavor ladder. And of course there's the grand daddy blend, Storm Front...the universally loved blend that started most of us here down the merry Patton road.

Blackhorse":tmakxgp4 said:
John Patton is kind of like the Willy Wonka of pipe tobacco blenders. (there...THAT aught to go down in infamy)

(BTW: the Fab Four are Greg, Steve, Russ and John.)
Willy Wonka? Well, I do love choco;ate. You honor me as one of the Fab Four.

BTW, what did you think of Cigasr Royal?