I ordered my first cob's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
I ordered 2 bent and 2 straight MM pony cob's

I know this is a briar pipe forum, but I read quite a few posts about you all using them to sample tobacco's.
Then yesterday, I read a little deeper, and realized, that quite a few of you really value a cob.

To be honest, I thought they were just novelty items.

I do see the value in them now. And I also see they can last a very long time, if treated properly.
So, I figured what the heck, I have some new Tobacco coming, along with a Pete Briar ,and I only have 2 other pipes, of which have been mainly used for Capt Black.
I want to test these new tobaccos without having a ghost taste of the Capt black.
and I also want to choose a tobacco to be used solely in the Pete.

:D

This should be fun

I love my cobs... just hung out with my Washington model (again) this morning... 8)

Pony's are smaller, starter cobs, but taken care of properly, can give you years of good smoking. You might want to check out my Cob Primer or Buying Guide for more information. They are Stickys in the Pipe Technique section.

Howdy tilt

I did actually check out those stickys of yours, yesterday.
There was an aweful lot to remember, (what with being new to this whole ballgame)
But, it was those stickys that led me to my decision to purchase a few cobs.

i did not realize the ponys were small, but thats OK, as according to what Ive been reading about the Irish Flake, I think starting small will be good for me. :D

But I do plan on re-reading your stickys, in the week ahead, as I want to make sure I do things right, as far as prep, and smoking go.
Thanks for posting those stickys too, they are very informative. Like I said , they opened my eyes .
Oh yeah, I read about your blends somewhere on here, and I looked , but couldnt find them where I placed my order.
I am very interested in your blends. Maybe you could PM me some info on where to look.
Theres just Sooooo much information to be absorbed here, and so many directions a guy can go while researching, I tend to get lost now and then. :D

And Yeah Kyle, it was a few of your posts that helped me decide to get a cob too.
Cant wait to try it out.

Dusty

DustyRoundup":ete5m0lx said:
And Yeah Kyle, it was a few of your posts that helped me decide to get a cob too.
Cant wait to try it out.
I don't know as much as most of the folks here, (I just type A LOT... :p :p :p ) but thanks...I was pushed into cobs by the other members here, and I wouldn't get rid of 'em for anything. There'll always be a few cobs in my rotation! One stays in my travel pack for workin' out in the desert...my Washington... there's no hardwood plug in the bottom, so I gotta be careful, but it sure smokes nicely! Yours will, too! 8)

Really been diggin' on the Virginia Squire, Quad VA, and Stormfront lately. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

DrT999":nr8by3rj said:
Kyle Weiss":nr8by3rj said:
Brewdude":nr8by3rj said:
Dusty-

You can find tiltjlp blends at 4 noggins in the bulk section:

www.4noggins.com

Cheers,

RR
http://www.4noggins.com/johnpattontiltjlp.aspx

Holy cow! I never noticed that! I know where my next online tobacco order is going. 8)
I never noticed either :oops: I'll have to remember that next time I order from 4N as well

Thanks Brewdude,

I have it in my "favorites" now,

yesterday, I was searching out all posts related to Va's
I was writing them down , and putting a star next to one every time someone had given it a good rating.
And quite a few people liked "Coolhand Fluke"

So, my next order will be from noggins , as would like to try that Coolhand Fluke.

And the quad Va, and Stormfront, sound like good choices too, now that Ive read about them.
Again , Thanks

Cobs are wonderful on outdoor adventures, and on days when your briars need a good rest. They'll last you a long time, I just retired my first cob from over two years ago, daily smoker for me, in excess of 3 bowls on some days.

Yes, I also enjoy Cool Hand Fluke.

Cheers,

RR

DustyRoundup":4sf0u081 said:
Thanks Brewdude,

I have it in my "favorites" now,

yesterday, I was searching out all posts related to Va's
I was writing them down , and putting a star next to one every time someone had given it a good rating.
And quite a few people liked "Coolhand Fluke"

So, my next order will be from noggins , as would like to try that Coolhand Fluke.

And the quad Va, and Stormfront, sound like good choices too, now that Ive read about them.
Again , Thanks

I also think you will enjoy your cobs, After some clean and trim (sometimes glue or cob frag may be left behind in bowl and stem) you will use them more than with just samples.

Enjoy, John.

I have a bent and straight Legend in my rotation and wouldn't be without them. Smoke slower than normal and you will have yourself some happy puffin'!