I think I got the VaPers!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
I tried my first VaPer, Solani Virginia Flake w/Perique. WOW! It was awesome! Easy to light, smokes even, smells and tastes great, withou a bad after taste. This stuff is a winner. I smoked it in a MM Diplomat with a Walker briarworks mini-churchwarder stem. Needless to say this will by my new VaPer pipe.
Can any of you VaPer guys recommend another tobacco similar to the solani?

Thanks,
Bill

Davidoff Flake Medallions is fantastic, albeit it has a low Perique profile, probably between 2-4%; not like the vigorous amount in Escudo, probably about 8-12% (percentages from GLP's "The Pleasures and Perils of Perique").

The DFM's always smoke, for me, as if they use very high class VAs; everything is in balance; you wonder how they pulled off the blend. But I do love Escudo, I'm just prepared for the significant amount of Perique. Love Perique.

G.L. Pease " Fillmore"

You have to try it.
I researched the Va-pers a while back, and this one came up a few times, and it had good reviews on tobaccoreviews.

I myself am going to get more.

I'm really digging both GLP's Triple Play and McCelland's Beacon Extra. They're full on Perique, but you can just get regular Beacon to start (though I've not had it...).

I also love Escudo (must have).

I have conflicting emotions about Fillmore. It was my first Perique and I didn't "get" it. Now that I come back to it, I get it, but not sure I dig it. Some folks love it to death, but that's the way I'm feeling about the Triple & Beacon. I find Bayou AM Flake to be in the same vein as Fillmore, and so have struggled with that a bit, as well, with whether or not it's for me. Taste is taste is taste..what's your taste?

Also feeling my way through Peterson's Irish Oak...

Since Kingfisher seems to be nonexistent, does anyone know of anything similar?

DustyRoundup":8g5uy2cn said:
G.L. Pease " Fillmore"

You have to try it.
I researched the Va-pers a while back, and this one came up a few times, and it had good reviews on tobaccoreviews.

I know this hobby of ours is subjective, but this is the only right answer. :D

I don't think it's a pure VaPer, as there is just a tiny hint of Latakia (I think there is, anyway). I actually don't care for latakia much, but its used so modestly that it's barely noticeable - but in a very good sort of way. GLP's Haddo's Delight is another fine option to keep in the rotation.

idbowman":4vdwfh8j said:
DustyRoundup":4vdwfh8j said:
G.L. Pease " Fillmore"

You have to try it.

I know this hobby of ours is subjective, but this is the only right answer. :D

I don't think it's a pure VaPer, as there is just a tiny hint of Latakia (I think there is, anyway). I actually don't care for latakia much, but its used so modestly that it's barely noticeable - but in a very good sort of way. GLP's Haddo's Delight is another fine option to keep in the rotation.
You're right about Fillmore; it has about 1% Latakia.
But if yer a purist, Haddo's ain't a VA/Per either. :evil:

(Fillmore and Haddo's are among my favorites.)

Stratford and Telegraph Hill are two of my favorite VA/Pers.

H&H Louisiana Red is a good introductory VaPer. LR and Park-Lane Red Paramour are good choices if along with perique you also like the brighter virginias. Other good VaPers are McClelland Tudor Castle and Beacon and C&D Bayou Morning.

babysinister":b3f6nzju said:
.and C&D Bayou Morning.
Glad to hear that...I ordered my first tin last night, and am anxiously waiting to try it.

Hearth and Home Anniversary Kake--My all-day and go-to smoke.

Haddo's Delight--especially if you can find some with at least a year of age--really mellows it out.

My all-time favorite VA/Per is Peretti's Park Square. No. 2 is Pipes and Cigars' Anniversary Kake. You can't go wrong with either of these two.

Smokey