I Tried A Carey Magic Inch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I had posted a question about Carey Magic Inch pipes that our brother Andy Lowry responded to by offering to send me one to try. I politely refused at first but Andy was determined that his act of kindness be fulfilled so I relented and told him that I would be glad to try the pipe. It arrived in a couple of days and did I get a surprise as a number of members had replied to my post stating how inferior these pipes had been made. Cheap briar, poor smoking qualities, and etc. But the first thing I noticed was the good looks of the pipe. It was a smooth billiard with a straight tapered stem. The grain was somewhat plain but there wasn't a pit or fill to be found. It did have about a quarter inch of cake that I removed almost down to the wood. After cleaning the pipe I let it set overnight to let the bourbon dry out. Next morning around 11:00 AM I filled it with some OGS and fired it up. It smoked cool and dry. No gurgle and no tongue bite. There was one detail that bothered me and that was the draw. The Magic Inch has holes on the top and bottom of the stem to cool the smoke. I found this allowed way too much air to enter and the airflow was too open. I got more air than smoke. If there was an adjustment to regulate the airflow I haven't found it. I suppose I could place some tape over the holes but I find this somewhat tacky. Other than that one item I find this pipe a delight to smoke as I have now smoked it four or five times. I place my index finger and thumb over the holes when I puff and this helps quite a bit. Overall the pipe Andy sent me is a keeper. Maybe I got lucky and got one of the best of the best but I like it for now. Thanks Andy for insisting your kindness be accepted. :) 

AJ

williamcharles":v16s4m51 said:
Did your pipe have one of the Papyrate (paper) sleeves on the tenon? This link shows a bit about the pipes and is where you can get the sleeves when you need some.

http://www.eacarey.com/magicinchinfo.html
Thanks for the link. The new type paper sleeve may be the answer I'm looking for. :) 

AJ

Carey has been in business for a very long time and I've seen my share of sad ones but, like many pipe manufactures they made cheap ones and higher grade that surprisingly don't even look like a Carey except for the vented stem. I do believe if you use one of there filters it will no doubt increase the air flow and limit the carburetor action.

Cartaphilus":kwhj1drp said:
Carey has been in business for a very long time and I've seen my share of sad ones but, like many pipe manufactures they made cheap ones and higher grade that surprisingly don't even look like a Carey except for the vented stem. I do believe if you use one of there filters it will no doubt increase the air flow and limit the carburetor action.
Thanks Ron, That was my impression after visiting the EA Carey site and reading about the new type of filter. :) 

AJ

Andy Lowry":vqcioee8 said:
There was a box of the paper sleeves included...
Thanks Andy, I've been putting them to good use. :) 

AJ

ajn27511":53418s4l said:
I had posted a question about Carey Magic Inch pipes that our brother Andy Lowry responded to by offering to send me one to try. I politely refused at first but Andy was determined that his act of kindness be fulfilled so I relented and told him that I would be glad to try the pipe. It arrived in a couple of days and did I get a surprise as a number of members had replied to my post stating how inferior these pipes had been made. Cheap briar, poor smoking qualities, and etc. But the first thing I noticed was the good looks of the pipe. It was a smooth billiard with a straight tapered stem. The grain was somewhat plain but there wasn't a pit or fill to be found. It did have about a quarter inch of cake that I removed almost down to the wood. After cleaning the pipe I let it set overnight to let the bourbon dry out. Next morning around 11:00 AM I filled it with some OGS and fired it up. It smoked cool and dry. No gurgle and no tongue bite. There was one detail that bothered me and that was the draw. The Magic Inch has holes on the top and bottom of the stem to cool the smoke. I found this allowed way too much air to enter and the airflow was too open. I got more air than smoke. If there was an adjustment to regulate the airflow I haven't found it. I suppose I could place some tape over the holes but I find this somewhat tacky. Other than that one item I find this pipe a delight to smoke as I have now smoked it four or five times. I place my index finger and thumb over the holes when I puff and this helps quite a bit. Overall the pipe Andy sent me is a keeper. Maybe I got lucky and got one of the best of the best but I like it for now. Thanks Andy for insisting your kindness be accepted. :) 

AJ
I am sure you are a far more experienced pipe smoker than myself but, having recently returned to pipe smoking via a Carey. I had some problems with 'draw' which I have cured.

At first I put the problems down to inexperience but, after experimenting with a new packing technique (I had always used 3 layer), the pipe was transformed.

I now place a wad of tobacco in my palm, tease it out, and then work the pipe (open end down) over it in a spiral. The pipe seems to pack itself. A slight 'tamp', sprinkle some small strands on top, tamp, and light.

I learned the technique from a YouTube video by Foxs of Ireland.

It gives a much less dense pack and there is no need to cover the holes in the stem.

If you want a longer, slower, smoke, you can (of course) tamp a little more firmly.

The video claims the spiral helps the tobacco burn. I certainly rarely have to relight and usually have  no 'dottle'.

I may buy another Carey but, at the moment, I am building my collection and looking for diversity.
I'm looking for a Vauen and may be a Zepplin.

Brian