I was laughed at by the grandkids

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
and accused of fibbing when I explained when I was a kid the TV (all three channels) would go off the air at midnight.
Football games were only aired Sunday afternoon and only on one network. If we wanted hockey we had to turn the antenna north across the lake to Canada. (antenna? ha ha ha, yeah right )

I gave up at that point before losing all credibility by telling them we used to actually spend all day outside entertaining ourselves.

mark":av23qqw8 said:
and accused of fibbing when I explained when I was a kid the TV (all three channels) would go off the air at midnight.
Football games were only aired Sunday afternoon and only on one network. If we wanted hockey we had to turn the antenna north across the lake to Canada. (antenna? ha ha ha, yeah right )

I gave up at that point before losing all credibility by telling them we used to actually spend all day outside entertaining ourselves.
Happens to me all the time and not only from the grand-kids when I try to explain that we use to really dial a phone. And I remember when the Indian (Native American) test screen would come up on the TV with that loud tone that would always wake me if had fell asleep on the couch. And if I remember right, we had 5 channels counting two UHF ones. ;) 

I read a funny story about a grampa who agreed to take his visiting granddaughter to get an ice cream. They were to go in his old pickup truck. It was hot, so when she climbed in, he said, "Put your window down, would ya?" She looked puzzled, then asked, "Where's the little button? And what's this handle for?"

Cartaphilus":qnlkoc0m said:
Happens to me all the time and not only from the grand-kids when I try to explain that we use to really dial a phone.  
Wonder what they would think about party lines or operator assistance? Never mind calling the operator for long distance!

DrT999":bgbgz2kj said:
Cartaphilus":bgbgz2kj said:
Happens to me all the time and not only from the grand-kids when I try to explain that we use to really dial a phone.   
Wonder what they would think about party lines or operator assistance? Never mind calling the operator for long distance!
operator assistance! Hell that's an oxymoron nowadays. ;) 

Yep, and we played all outside all night, till bedtime - with no real toys or games.

MisterE":hfb6n4v1 said:
...and you had to go home to make a phone call.

I still do because there aint any phone booths anymore.

Yep, I remember when I was the remote. "Hey boy, go turn the tv up, change the channel, and go outside a turn the antenna." How I loved going outside to turn the antenna in the rain.

The greatest football ever was played in the Black & Blue division. All the games were outside and on Black & White TV, when it was snowing hard, you couldn't see a thing. When it was just steady snow, you had to wait for them to shovel off the lines.

I was speaking with our elder daughter this morning about her education work and she was getting more and more frustrated each time she told me some of the things she wanted to be when she was older and I told her each thing she's need to study to be able to get where she wanted to get. Eventually she just sat there with a real unhappy look on her face so I put my around around her shoulders and said gently "sweetheart, I know it sounds awful but the simple truth is my love no matter what you want to be in life you need to learn some things you don't know yet and to learn those things you need to work hard, nothing in life comes easy my love", she looked at me hard for a moment or two and then said "don't see why I should bother, the computer does everything any way". I was lost for words to be frank, how did we get to a point where kids think a computer will do everything for them, strange world it's becoming isn't it.

Ya this kind of stuff has been going on forever.

Both my folks grew up during the great depression and didn't have inside toilets (yes they used the Sears Roebuck catalogue for TP), no telephones, TV hadn't been invented, etc. They both came from farming families in rural SE WI.

I clearly remember one time as a young kid, my Pap asking my Mom what they did before deodorant. Mom said "I guess we stunk"!

:lol: 

It's all relative.

Cheers,

RR

DrT999":zhc4lr2t said:
Cartaphilus":zhc4lr2t said:
Want to hear something sad. To this day when I pick up a phone before I dial I listen to see if someone's on the line. Old habits are hard to break. The wife laughs every time she sees me do this and asks "who do you think is going to be on there". But I do get the last laugh when I'm in the shop on the phone and she dials from the house and I get to say "see that's why I always check to see if anyone's on the line before dialling.

Sometimes I wish we could turn back the clock. Watching the original Superman on Friday nights on black and white TV was one of the highlights to start off each weekend.  :D 

docwatson":su1o0w90 said:
Sometimes I wish we could turn back the clock. Watching the original Superman on Friday nights on black and white TV was one of the highlights to start off each weekend.  :D 
Superman was definitely one of my favorites but, I think Sky King and Crusader Rabbit really started off my weekends back then. ;) 

Exactly Ron. Even at a young age Sky King's "Penny" was a cutie pie. Where might they all be now??? I hate to think about that.
Andy

docwatson":2jd88spr said:
Exactly Ron. Even at a young age Sky King's "Penny" was a cutie pie. Where might they all be now??? I hate to think about that.
Andy
We can only hope there all doing well or passed gently into that goodnight.
What I'd do to just see an episode of each one more time to remind me
of the happiness there was in my short lived childhood.
Ah! The days at Grandmas house, home made bread and apple pie.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tyk8owp2c10" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

docwatson":sktgshwm said:
Kirby Grant (Sky King) --

As a child, Kirby received a scholarship to the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. Kirby won the scholarship as a violinist and singer, but he also dabbled as a sculptor. He would play a violinist in the film, I Dream Too Much (1935), which starred Henry Fonda. While his movie career was less than spectacular, he did have the lead in a number of low- budget westerns and also played a Canadian Mountie in low-budget adventures. But it would be Television, where Kirby would gain the kind of fame that would follow him for the rest of his life. "Out of the blue of the western sky comes Sky King". Sky King (1951) was a Television series where Kirby played a wealthy gentleman rancher who used his twin engine Cessna to capture the evil ones. As everyone knows, the plane was called the "Song Bird", his ranch was "the Flying Crown Ranch", located near "Grover, Arizona", and he had a niece named Penny and a nephew named Clipper. Kirby was a lifelong flying enthusiast taught to fly by barnstormers in the 1920's. "Sky King" was a huge success and Kirby made approximately 130 episodes which guaranteed syndication. After the show ended, Kirby traveled with the Carson and Barnes Circus and retired in 1970. He later bought the title and rights to the show, Sky King (1951), and became a public relations director for Sea World in Florida. Grant was killed in a road accident on October 30, 1985 while on his way to watch the launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger at Cape Canaveral. He was to be honored by the shuttle astronauts for his achievements.

Gloria Winters (Penny) --

Born in Los Angeles, Gloria worked in show business as a child. Small roles in movies led Gloria to be cast as Jackie Gleason's daughter "Babs" on the television series "The Life of Riley" (1949). This show ran during the 1949-50 season. Her next television series was "Sky King" (1951), wherein she was cast as the niece, "Penny". This show ran from 1951 to 1954, and during that run Gloria began dating the show's sound engineer. This dating soon led to marriage. Gloria also played "Penny" in the comedy 'Hold That Line (1952)', which starred the Bowery Boys. Gloria retired from show business after "Sky King" ended, but she remained close to Kirby Grant until his death in 1985. Died 14 August 2010 (complications from pneumonia).

Source:  imdb.com