I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gospelman

Reaction score
Wish I could take credit for the words in this topic title, but Mr. Zimmerman's line from "My Back Pages" came to mind while I was reading the "Rank Schmank" thread.

There was a little bit of discussion about getting a new birthday; e.g. knocking off a few years of your age. And it got me to thinking about getting older, and attaining wisdom, and not worrying about looking cool anymore, and all the other attendant "benefits" of age.

Would you really be up for knocking off a few years? If, by some sort of "I'll grant you three wishes" kind of thing, God said one day that you are now 30 years younger. Or 10, or 20...take your pick. It would still be present day, but you would be a younger version of yourself. Or, if you choose, you go back to where you were in life that many years ago.

So many questions came to mind as I was pondering this: how long would I have at this age? Would I have to re-live my life again, or would it be a situation where I am seeing the old with wiser eyes, and would have the opportunity to do things differently where I screwed up? Most importantly, would this give me the chance to really savor the relationships I had with other folks, but maybe didn't appreciate fully as a young man?

As I inch ever so close to the big 6-0 (an age I would never have imagined myself attaining just a few years ago) I find myself thinking about stuff like this more and more.

But anyway, to answer my own question...no thanks.

Mike

My gut reaction was "No way, no how." Back to the Future taught us that time travel works out badly for guys named Doc.

But then I looked at the little six-week-old sleeping in my lap, and I got to thinking if I could just "lose" ten years, but nothing else, and stay in the here-and-now, I'd take it. More time with my son, or at least more energy to help raise him.

I'd love another seven years of my young metabolism back, too. I tell myself I'd do it right this time, and start to moderate my diet once it slowed down, but I sense my junkfood craving would get the better of me again.

Plus, my life pursuits--higher ed and writing--are ones that are often favorably stacked towards youth.

Hmmm. If I could go back would I be much more conservative than I was or would I totally burn it up? Coin toss.

Wouldn't go back if I could. Would love to have the health and vitality I enjoyed back then.

Part of me wouldn't mind going back 22 years and thus easily avoiding a couple of huge mistakes, but I'm sure I would have screwed up something else!

Perfectly happy where I am. Back then, I was told I grew up too fast, was a precocious little bastard, and I'm just getting to the point where people aren't saying "Oh, it's because you're (this age), they're just calling them "quirks." Quite honestly, my time spent here doesn't need to be extended. I can live life to the fullest with what I'm given. I'm okay with that.

I'd stay where I am and keep things how they are. I am the last person who wants to mess with the "butterfly effect". :lol!:

My main problem was that abstract threats, too noble to neglect, deceived me into thinking I had something to protect. So I protected the wrong things.

Centurian 803":1azq39gy said:
Wouldn't go back if I could. Would love to have the health and vitality I enjoyed back then.
The health and vitality part is what I was referring to in the referenced post by gospelman. I've had too many wonderful experiences to wipe out by erasing the last 30 years or so.

Gospelman brought up some thought provoking ideas and questions about going back which in turn caused me to reflect back on my thoughts and ideas about age through the years. A condensed version---

When I was about 8 or 9 I couldn't wait to become a teenager so I could drive and be part of the "rebellious" bunch. (bought my first pipe at 14) Thought becoming 30 would be "over the hill.

When I got my drivers license, I couldn't wait to become legal 21 for alcohol to help sooth the rigors of college.

At 21 some wise person told me they made it faster than I could drink it. After visiting an Anheuser Busch plant found that was true. Couldn't wait to get a job and be on my own. Yeah.....got a job in the outdoor/forestry field that I enjoyed.

After turning 30 I found out that being on your own entailed a lot of expenses and responsibilities I didn't expect nor perceive especially after becoming married. Found out being 30 was not over the hill...must be 40.

Nope...it's not 40 must be 50. Still in good health, happily married but no kids and the Dr.s couldn't say why. Losing parents is a very painful experience. Looking forward to retirement.

It's not 50 must be 60. Still in good health and happily married. Able to take some nice trips for hunting, fishing and just plain enjoyment.

Ah....60! Retired and planning all sorts of activities still in good health though lots of friends, relatives and neighbors in bad health or passing away requiring assistance and taking care of estates rearranges or does away with plans. If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. Nope...male friends my age are having the same type problems and I had too much fun earlier in life with lots of good memories. The three rules of old age are true. 1.Never pass up a restroom, 2. never trust a fart, 3. don't waste a boner. Also, eat lots of fiber, drink lots of water but not while driving or restrooms are far away, Advil at night makes it easier to sleep and get out of bed in the morning. 60 does make a difference and I've read that 75 does cause a steep decline in muscle loss and vigor. Hope to find out if it is true.

Jim..still married to my first wife, hunting, fishing, traveling, smoking a pipe and sampling beer and booze.