Ideas for Setting Up Your Man Cave

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Someday I'd like to write an illustrated coffee table book called "Smoking Rooms". It'll give me a nice time consuming project during my retirement years. I can say that having one's own designated smoking area is one of the great pleasures of this hobby. I get more enjoyment out of mine than any single thing in this world. I'd like to offer a little advice on setting one up. First and foremost one needs a room. A spare bedroom is ideal as is a finished basment. If setting up in a basement you may want to invest in an inexpensive dehumidifer to help get the moisture out of the air. Another concern is air quality. The single best investment that I ever made was in an Austin Air purifier. Turned on high you can smoke like a chimney and still keep the air fresh. As for decorating, flea markets and tag sales are your friend! Nearly all the furniture and rugs in my den were purchased at these venues. Old blankets can cover up wear and tear on fabrics. Wooden coffee tables and shelves often look good left with their battle worn scratches and mars. Artwork for the walls is easily and cheeply purchased on e-bay. Look under pipe or tobacco ads on e-bay. These are plentiful and are quickly framed up for a great vintage look. Old tobacco tins are also in huge supply at antique stores and flea markets usualy selling for under ten bucks. these old tins of Velvet, Prince Albert and Grainger look great scattered about. I also once knew a hobbyist who did one entire wall of his den with old 2 oz tins that he screwed into the walls. There were hundreds and they made a very strong impact. Also easily found on e-bay are old pipe and tobacco advertising items like jars, posters and countertop displays. While NOT cheap they do really make a statement. To sum it up, you likely work damn hard for your money. You likely spend considerably on your hobby. You deserve a great place to enjoy the fruits of your labors. Just do it! If any of you want any further advice on this sort of thing just drop me a line. I'm always willing to help! :lol:

I had thought about doing that to a spare bedroom. Do you have any ideas to keep the smell of tobacco out of the linens? My wife won't let me smoke in the house at all. However, I stepped in this evening with a half lit MacBaren Navy Flake and she was enjoying me off gasing in the living room when I checked the score of the Yankee game.

That's a great idea for a book. I would love to see/purchase it someday!

I'm pretty sure you'd just have to put the call out to the pipe and cigar smoking community and you would be bombarded with pictures and stories to help you on your way.

I'd love to have one someday myself. As soon as I can purchase my own place, and rid myself of the girlfriend! :lol!:

A mate of mine gifted me a GLP 2009 calendar. Man, does that look great on the cave wall.