Identifying a couple of pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently picked up a couple of pipes at an antiques fair and I'm struggling to identify their origins. I only have a picture of one for the moment, I found it online, it's not the pipe I bought, but it's identical apart from the size of the letters in the brand stamp:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hand-Carved-Bulls-Head-Pipe-Radica-Guarantita-/281053453984?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item4170175ea0&nma=true&si=CEJ1dDoLCWEJKSKi5FFXhbnz0C8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's pretty weird, I don't know whether I really like the look of it, but it draws well.
Has anybody heard of Radica pipes? I did a search on the name and found a pipe maker by the name of 'Luigi Radice', (he used to work for Castello) who might be responsible for it.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

The pipe you wish to identify, is from the Royal Antidiluvian Order of Buffalo's. I have a similar pipe in my collection. It allways get's picked up when I show my collection to people.

Wow, I had no idea. I hadn't even heard of these guys before tonight, it's nice to see they're involved in charity work and helping the community.
Thanks very much for the info landyandy Are you a member?

Yes I am a member, though I don't usually post. As I said, I have a similar pipe probably because my Grand father had a pipe that was a face of the devil and that pipe stuck in my memory. I would love to find one like that, but pipes with faces ( apart from meerschaum pipes ) seem to be out of favor

Thanks for the reply..

No problem, thanks for yours. I'm guessing they're made all over the world and I've picked up an Italian one? It really is fantastic to know symbology has crept into pipe making. Any idea of the date?

Radica appears to be an Italian maker, and google search will turn up other examples in more standard shapes than your bulls head.

Yeah, that's what I thought, it's how I got the info on 'Luigi Radice', however, looking through his stuff and looking at the bulls head, something didn't add up, he uses great quality briar with a natural finish, why turn a good piece of briar into a bull's head that doesn't allow you to see the quality of the wood? Landyandy had a good answer for that.
Additionally, 'radica garantita' in Italian means 'guaranteed briar root', the absence of another stamp indicating the maker either leads me to believe that is is something to do with the RAOB or that the pipe isn't worth shouting about!
If you google RAOB Bull's Head Pipe, you'll see loads more like this one, it's very strange! Apparently the society incorporate pipes into their initiation ceremonies.