Identifying a Samuel Gawith Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maiser

Reaction score
shortened story, then questions.

Friend goes to Virginia, visits Old Virginia Tobacco Company. Asks if I want something, I say SG FVF, if they have it. Guy weighs out 5 ounces of it and gives it to her. She brings it back to me. Stuff is definitely not FVF. It smells like chocolate and I am pretty sure it is the Chocolate flake.

Having never tried the Chocolate flake, I am not totally certain. Bag says "Old Virginia Flake" (handwritten). Darkish brown broken flakes, and it is definitely a SG blend (he got it from the SG section).

Questions.
1) Do you think it is chocolate flake?
2) Do you want it?

If you are certain of what it is or want to ask questions and trade that is fine. I myself can only surmise that it is Chocolate Flake, and I know for certain it is an SG. It is five ounces bulk that I would be willing to trade for 3-4 ounces of bulk or tinned SG 1792, Balkan Flake, FVF, or make an offer (anything else you got, gents?).

-Mike.

Nevermind, sorry for the confusion.

Looked it up on their website and saw "old virginia flake". Not an SG blend. Can anyone tell me about this blend?

-Mike.

Tobacco Reviews doesn't list it by name, so it's probably a commercially produced tobacco flying under a different name.

Might very well be Bob's Chocolate Flake after all.

:face:

I see. Is anyone here familiar with the Chocolate Flake that would be willing to take a "test sample" and get back to me?

It might be Mac Baren VA no. 1, or a McClelland VA Flake. As far as I know the only broken flake SG sells is golden glow/med va. I think OVTC gets most of their bulk blends from Lane and McClelland.

Thanks for the insight Jack Straw. I am under the impression that their tinned OVTC blends are McClelland made, so their bulks are likely the same. I will research further.

I have some of both H&G Bob's Chocolate Flake and SG Chocolate Flake so if you want I can compare it to see if Chocolate or not. I like both actually, but think H&G's Bob's had more Chocolate flavor than SG

If it doesn't taste the Chocolate though it would have to be something else like maybe stokkebye's Virginia or their Navy Flake?

Skip

To my recollection, the H&G Bob's Chocolate Flake has some Burley in it and SG Chocolate Flake has a smidge of Latakia. At least that's what they taste like to me. I like the H&G item...not so much the SG.

Suggestion: Why not pick up yer cell phone and call the B&M directly and ask 'em what the heck they gave your friend? They should be willing to tell you the source of the 're-named' product they sell as Old VA Fake. Oops! Did I mispell that? :lol:

Two steps ahead of you Blackhorse...

Called earlier today and their tobacconist was out. I will try again tomorrow and re-report.

SG Chocolate Flake is maybe one of my top favorites. There is latakia in it, but i haven't tasted chocolate while smoking. Maybe there is a slight chocolate in tin aroma, but i'm not sure even about that. Great tobacco it is.

Yes Raid Bob's has a lot more Chocolate flavor. I can taste it in the SG, but not near as much. I like both a lot, but for different reasons as the SG is a bit stronger tobacco, but Bob's has a nice chocolate taste and way mild on the tongue.

Oh and yes the smell of Bob's compared to SG is way different, but kin in a way. Hope that didn't just completely muddy the water.

Skip

It's a Mclelland blend, they say. Made specially for them. The mystery is over.

All the McClelland tobacco's I have tried smell like ketchup when opened. They all seem to have the same base.

Skip

Skip: Try Three Oaks Syrian, Nocturne, and Wilderness for a change of pace. No ketchup in these tins, just Latakia.

Here's a solution you may not have thought of:

SMOKE IT AND ENJOY IT!!!

It's a bulk mclelland VA, they are all somewhat similar, this one probably just dark stoved and enhanced with a chocolate like casing, but then again my best brown flake smelled very chocolatey and it is supposed to be on the natural side.