If you could only pick one...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallSmoke

Reaction score
Let's say you were limited to just one type of water to fly fish. If you had to pick one type of water to wield a fly rod the rest of your life, what would it be?

I'm kind of partial to small creeks and streams, myself. Some that I fish are only 2-3 feet wide, though I like them a few feet wider. I like going after the wild trout for the challenge. They can be tough to sneak up on in small waters, especially the Brownies, so the reward of a catch feels pretty good.

I agree. I enjoy the "stealth" aspect of fishing smaller water. While I do enjoy bigger water when I get the chance, it´s just not the same as the "one cast" challenge of the smaller streams.

I was recently doing some reading on Gila trout and would love to make a trip to NM to do it. It has recently been removed from the endangered list and has been opened up for catch and realease on a few select streams. You have hike in, you can be sure it won´t be very heavily fished. 8)

I voted the open water. I like to get in my one-man pontoon boat and float along the shore line. My problem with streams, etc. is that my balance is so messed up that alls I would do is stumble and trip which does not make for a day of enjoyable fishing.

I'm with Mikem on this one. I flyfish from a kayak and enjoy fishing shorelines and bottom structure from the many ponds and lakes in midcoast Maine. And it gives me the opportunity to cover miles of area. Lookin' forward to ice-out

I chose large creeks and small rivers because this is the type of fishing i mostly do. I have to say though this was a hard question for me to answer...catching brookies on a short 3 weight rod in small streams is a blast too.

Small streams in high country does it for me. The opportunity to spot the fish & catch it is really special. Ideally on dry flies & ideally browns.

Small bodies of water are always fun. Fishing for brookies and bows in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan is one of my favorite things to do. My short mid-action 4 weight and floating line with dry flies makes for a perfect day.

This is my favorite stream in Ashe County. We have a mountain getaway up there. It rounds the corner and goes under some trees for a hundred yards with several holes and pools.

To get to this spot you have to cross two fields, three barbed-wire fences, get chased by two donkeys, and climb down and back up some step rock cliffs. It's in the back of a farm, and the farm owner is a friendly fellow. It's always worth it because I typically catch a dozen or more trout in the 200-300 yard stretch, along with a few small mouth bass for good measure. There's a totally wild stream that connects to it further down, too. Trout are always sitting where the waters meet, looking for feeding opportunities.

Lots of native trout through there along with stocked trout that get washed down from further upstream. Through the years I've caught lots of Brookies 10-14 inches, a good number of Rainbows 16-23 inches, and the occasional Brown at 20-24 inches. An amazing spot to fish, and one that most of the locals don't go to the trouble to get to. The only other guy I know of who regularly fishes it is catch-n-release, like me, so there are always plenty to hook.

In this picture the trout hug the left bank, which is about a foot deep. I normally throw a wooly bugger in there under the bushes any time of year and tear 'em up.

5239899826_e14b1147e7_o.jpg

A couple pics of Sugar Creek, here in central Illinois. A bit of mud. Mostly gravel and sand bottom. Banks are not as high as some creeks in the area. It also goes though sort of a bog-like black muck soil here in Logan county. Very interesting. Not far away is Kickapoo creek. Very similar also. When you are a kid climbing over logs in the water, you do not stop to notice that one of those logs is a mammoth tusk. Lots of mammoth teeth and a few tusks are found in the area.

We usually fished Sugar creek for smallmouth. Floating grasshoppers in the late summer and fall on fly tackle. Now days you can just as often pick up a hybrid striper. Some of which get really large.

sugar_10.jpg

sugar_11.jpg

Enjoy smaller rivers, the Big Manistee is quite large and though scenic it does leave something to be desired. Smaller streams with the tranquil environment is more to my liking.

Here are some pics from my most recent trip to my favorite spot this past week:

Small Stream - Here is a pic showing how tight portions of this stream are. Sometimes we fish with just the top half of the fly rod in these tony stretches.

Another shot of the larger portion of the creek. - One of the widest sections of the creek.

The Payoff. - We caught several small 8-10" Brookies throughout each day. They were hungry.

His First Rainbow - My 10-year old with a nice Rainbow from the creek. A good size for a small stream like that.

It's a fun little creek with several small wild streams coming in to it to try. Lots of Brook, several Rainbow, and the occassional Brown. Always a good time.

Great photos Tallsmoke!! Just looking at the water is getting me excited to get on the river this summer!

My boy is only 3 1/2 but I look forward to taking him out with me when hes big enough to handle a rod.

Nice photos TS, to me the smaller streams seem more intimate, the section of stream in the first pic you posted looks like a real challenge,,,,glad to see your son enjoying the sport,,,I think your little stream is a goldmine