If you had to choose 5 GL Pease blends...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have smoked many of Greg's blends over the years and these 3 are really the only ones I would re-visit in the future.

* Caravan
*Ashbury
*Barbary Coast - but I'm to understand this one is no longer made due to a dirth of the variety of Latakia needed for it. :twisted: 

monbla256":9nwfxe4a said:
I have smoked many of Greg's blends over the years and these 3 are really the only ones I would re-visit in the future.

* Caravan
*Ashbury
*Barbary Coast - but I'm to understand this one is no longer made due to a dirth of the variety of Latakia needed for it. :twisted: 
I could be mistaken, but I don't think BC has Syrian Latakia. Maybe you're thinking of Raven's Wing? Renaissance?

monbla256":y6sysozx said:

* Caravan
*Ashbury
No latakia in BC. It's absolutely still available!

Crookshanks":yukyp5n1 said:
monbla256":yukyp5n1 said:

* Caravan
*Ashbury
I could be mistaken, but I don't think BC has Syrian Latakia. Maybe you're thinking of Raven's Wing? Renaissance?
My mistake, it was NOT BC but rather Bohemian Scandal that I smoked and really liked ! :oops: 

Cartaphilus":t3bgeqhd said:
1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. None
Is this because you haven't tried them, or don't like them?
If I may ask, that is, Sir.

monbla256":kos6ngxb said:
Crookshanks":kos6ngxb said:
monbla256":kos6ngxb said:

* Caravan
*Ashbury
My mistake, it was NOT BC but rather Bohemian Scandal that I smoked and really liked ! :oops: 
AH!! Yes. That was a classic? Though I preferred Renaissance.

I notice London Mix is in your list, do you like Westminster?

Crookshanks":36h6bgh7 said:
Cartaphilus":36h6bgh7 said:
1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. None
I have never found a Vaper or Va I liked and I can't have Burley's and limits me.

Crookshanks":unms7fif said:
monbla256":unms7fif said:
Crookshanks":unms7fif said:
monbla256":unms7fif said:

* Caravan
*Ashbury

Westminister tries to be London Mixture IMHO so I stick with the original. :twisted: 

monbla256":a2keqe38 said:
Crookshanks":a2keqe38 said:
Crookshanks":a2keqe38 said:

* Caravan
*Ashbury

Westminister tries to be London Mixture IMHO so I stick with the original. :twisted: 
Interesting!! I'd let the maestro speak for himself, but I think he'd agree with you, but also posit that Westminster is closer to original London Mix than is modern London Mix. I think I remember he was a big fan of old London mix, and wanted to recapture its glory, and Westminster was the result. I've not had old London mix, so I can't really comment on that aspect.

I think he even wrote about it personally, somewhere. I'll poke about.

Cartaphilus":50gpbmoz said:
Crookshanks":50gpbmoz said:
Cartaphilus":50gpbmoz said:
1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. None
I have never found a Vaper or Va I liked and I can't have Burley's and limits me.
Ouch! Well, makes some sense. Most of GLP's VaPer blends I love have KY, or Burley. Well, except for Union Square. Its all VA I think.

Thanks for the reply.

Crookshanks":ytl3p41i said:
Cartaphilus":ytl3p41i said:
Crookshanks":ytl3p41i said:
Cartaphilus":ytl3p41i said:
1. None
2. None
3. None
4. None
5. None
Ouch! Well, makes some sense. Most of GLP's VaPer blends I love have KY, or Burley. Well, except for Union Square. Its all VA I think.

Thanks for the reply.
I have smoked London Mixture back in the '70s and it probably has changed over the years , as there have been a few different blenders during that time, but comparing TODAY'S blend with GLP's attempt to replicate an older version, which even he has said you almost cannot do as due to 'bacs aging from when they were "fresh" etc, I prefer the taste and smoking of the current "Dunhill" version ( which is really NOT a Dunhill 'bac as they only blend 'bacs in the London store and only next door at the "White Spot" store. Dunhill exists in name only these days. Look at a current "Dunhill" pipe, doesn't say Dunhill on it just the new Marketing ploy "White Spot" )  :twisted: :twisted:

Given the parameters you set, I'll second Chelsea Morning and Picadilly for light English blends (although you're missing out on some really good ones like Meridian, Westminster, Abingdon, et al). I quite enjoy the flavor profile of Robusto, if you want something with cigar leaf and a bit of latakia. Embarcadero deserves its reputation, as the seemingly simple blend of izmir and red Virginia produce an almost endless nuances. Very subtle and rewarding . Hard to go wrong, really.

Nonsailor":mreqce3a said:
Given the parameters you set, I'll second Chelsea Morning and Picadilly for light English blends (although you're missing out on some really good ones like Meridian, Westminster, Abingdon, et al).
I really enjoyed Meridian and I need to grab another tin. I haven't tried Abington. I found Westminster to be one of those "iconic" English blends which is my politically correct term for typical and boring. If I want a lat forward Pease blend, Odyssey is far more interesting IMO.

So many to choose from. Currently, I am smoking recent offerings with little aging. They just don't need it. So ignoring the fact that there is a huge list from which to choose:

Navigator
Sextant
Meridian
Lagonda (I keep expecting to see Captain Hastings at any moment.)
Key Largo

But I am also aware that those I have cellared will need to be smoked up at some point. Many are 10 years old or quickly nearing a decade and I think they may be in their prime.