If you like Carter Hall

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cds43

Reaction score
I like Carter Hall! It seems to be the almost perfect, no fuss, no frills smoke. I really would love to try a blend that has its smoking qualities and was primarily Burley based but just with a little more taste and nicotine. What premium blends do you have that are similar or an accompaniment to Carter Hall, say for that morning/evening smoke when you want just a little more kick?

An accompaniment to Carter Hall for a good evening smoke for a burley lover might be C&D's Old Joe Krantz.
It may take a few bowls before you "get it" but when you do it's good.

If you want some perique with your burley C&D's Three Friars is a good one too.

These are possible accompaniments to CH not replacements for CH.

FWIW, I don't think OJK will scratch the same itch as Carter Hall. I did the same thing, after I discovered Carter Hall I went looking for more and someone suggest OJK to me. I really didn't see the parallel between the two. I came to really like OJK - though it took some time. Bob Runowski really knew what he was doing and really understood burley, but IMHO his blends focused more on the strong and savory characteristics of the burley tobacco rather than the sweetness that stands out in the OTC burleys. Of the C&D burley blends I think the Burley Flake series probably came a bit closer to that mark - I think it was Burley Flake #1 - but I'm sure folks more familiar with the series could better answer that question.

Based on recent experience I can tell you that H&H Classic Burley Kake is not what your looking for. Its good, but heavily topped and not all that strong. I think you might enjoy John Patton's Storm Front. Its a burley based blend but with the addition of some other leaf to keep things interesting. MacBaren Burley London Blend is also very good. P&C tried to recreate the idea of an OTC burley with a blend called Angler's Dream, which was also very good, but its so similar to CH and PA that I haven't bothered to restock since my original supply ran out.

Though, it should be asked, have you tried Prince Albert yet? Its stronger in nicotine that CH and a bit less flavored.

Yea, Carter Hall and OJK...while both are burlys...entirely seperate thing. It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal.

Wow-- this just shows how tastes differ!

I agree that Carter Hall and OJK are different, I still think that OJK is a great burley blend if you're looking for something with a little more taste and nicotine. It's a different flavor, but equally tasty IMO. It's Cornell and Diehl's best-selling bulk blend, and with good reason! I've more of it cellared than any two other blends combined and smoke it (along with Carter Hall) almost daily.

I was also going to suggest Classic Burley Cake, only to see that someone else has already opined that it's not a good one to sub for CH. That just goes to show how subjective this hobby is! While CLassic Burley Cake is more heavily flavored than Carter Hall, I tend to use them almost interchangeably in a lot of circumstances. It doesn't have as much nicotine as CH, but the flavor is quite "in your face." I do agree that Stormfront is a darn good blend, although I like the Cake a little more.

Aged Burley Flake might be the ticket here, if those others don't satisfy you. It's a slightly sweetened burley with a lot more "oomph" in all departments than Carter Hall has. The major drawback is the price, as it's only available in tins.

I've not been a big fan of C&D's series of burley flakes, but don't let that stop you. They are VERY popular, and with good reason. They just didn't float my boar, which really surprised me because when they first came out I was expecting them to be my "nirvana" smokes.

Storm_Crow":fwjt9wa4 said:
Yea, Carter Hall and OJK...while both are burlys...entirely seperate thing. It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal.
Aaaand how !!!

OJK and Big & Burley are both far stronger and more savory/bitter than CH. I'm really curious about Angler's Dream. But, I'm hesitant about buying a 14 oz. tub of "maybe".

Steveaux":jv2k4z1a said:
Storm_Crow":jv2k4z1a said:
Aaaand how !!!

OJK and Big & Burley are both far stronger and more savory/bitter than CH. I'm really curious about Angler's Dream. But, I'm hesitant about buying a 14 oz. tub of "maybe".
Steveaux, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send you a bit of Angler's Dream to try.

Jack

it won't replace CH but if you want to an excellent burley give Butternut Burley or Boswell’s Premium Burley a try.

Bullwinkle":tfkj2fy3 said:
it won't replace CH but if you want to an excellent burley give Butternut Burley or Boswell’s Premium Burley a try.

It's been a little while since I've smoked it and so my tastebud memory is a bit fuzzy, but yea...Boswell Premium Burley. I think that would float the boat of someone who likes CH.

Simple Man":09vrm8xf said:
Steveaux":09vrm8xf said:
Storm_Crow":09vrm8xf said:
Aaaand how !!!

Steveaux, send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send you a bit of Angler's Dream to try.

Jack
Thank you, Jack !

PM sent.

Bullwinkle":jymml9c8 said:
My recent focus has been on expanding my quality aro collection. But, what I've read has put Butternut Burley on my short-list.

Steveaux":kyvzwmex said:
Bullwinkle":kyvzwmex said:
My recent focus has been on expanding my quality aro collection. But, what I've read has put Butternut Burley on my short-list.
I've heard it's similar to 1Q. Can anyone clarify if this is the case? I've never been particularly fond of that one.

jj1015":pyos3lqd said:
Aged Burley Flake might be the ticket here, if those others don't satisfy you. It's a slightly sweetened burley with a lot more "oomph" in all departments than Carter Hall has. The major drawback is the price, as it's only available in tins.
This! 8)

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I order some Haunted Bookshop and Old Joe Krantz today. Hope they might come close.
I still love me some Carter Hall though. Can't believe how good this stuff smokes.

Steveaux":iknzxght said:
Storm_Crow":iknzxght said:
Aaaand how !!!

If you like cinnamon you might like Anglers Dream. Cinnamon was all I tasted so the sample got passed on to someone who likes it.

williamcharles":z5bc88kp said:
Steveaux":z5bc88kp said:
Storm_Crow":z5bc88kp said:
Aaaand how !!!

If you like cinnamon you might like Anglers Dream. Cinnamon was all I tasted so the sample got passed on to someone who likes it.
That was also my experience.

Storm_Crow":i5h3c0tz said:
Steveaux":i5h3c0tz said:
Bullwinkle":i5h3c0tz said:
I've heard it's similar to 1Q. Can anyone clarify if this is the case? I've never been particularly fond of that one.
To me Butternut Burley is sweeter than 1Q. I tend to pick up a marshmallow/caramel flavor at times and other times it's almost a butterscotch flavor. I like the room note too.

williamcharles":pgcx2tdr said:
Storm_Crow":pgcx2tdr said:
Steveaux":pgcx2tdr said:
Bullwinkle":pgcx2tdr said:
To me Butternut Burley is sweeter than 1Q. I tend to pick up a marshmallow/caramel flavor at times and other times it's almost a butterscotch flavor. I like the room note too.
Thank you, for this!

I'll be sure to include some in my next order.

williamcharles":4skfb9y2 said:
Storm_Crow":4skfb9y2 said:
Steveaux":4skfb9y2 said:
Bullwinkle":4skfb9y2 said:
I guess what I'm thinking about is that to me, 1Q really isn't very burley-ee...can you taste any burley in Butternut burley or is it just an aromatic?