"If You're the Sort"...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
If you're the sort that can easily indicate a favorite pipe in your collection... did you pay over $100 USD for it or under?

Kindest,

The best pipe I ever owned was a Peterson Smooth Standard System and cost me the equivalent of about $80, it smoked wonderfully and I have yet to experience a pipe which smokes as well.

Briar Spirit":w8l0cxy1 said:
The best pipe I ever owned was a Peterson Smooth Standard System and cost me the equivalent of about $80, it smoked wonderfully and I have yet to experience a pipe which smokes as well.
I must admit, I am a fan of Petes... usually the fishtails.

Best,

I should also mention that I don't only own >$100 pipes; there are a few estate pieces that I'm thoroughly satisfied with, particularly my Old Englands. They are not my absolute favorites, but at $40 & $25 for a billiard (~Gr 2-3 size) and a pot, respectively, I have not spent better $$ for enjoyment.

I don't smoke as often as I'd like and I suspect it's far less than you gents. I have many nice briars that smoke great but my favorite is a Chris Askwith Featherweight Billiard. It cost more than $100.

I have a Parker pot I purchased from mattia. It is a stellar smoker and it cost well under $100.

All of my favorites cost less than $100. But that may change as I have commissioned a pipe by Todd Harris and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a favorite and its cost was a little more that $100.  :) 

AJ

Fr_Tom":1jxji0n7 said:
My favorite is usually the one I am smoking at the moment, so I am not much help. I spent <$100 for all but a couple of pipes, so in general <$100.
Typical of the most of us.

Best,

ajn27511":q0qtva60 said:
All of my favorites cost less than $100. But that may change as I have commissioned a pipe by Todd Harris and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a favorite and its cost was a little more that $100.  :) 

AJ
Splendid!

The best pipe I've ever owned was one for which I paid exactly $100 (+ sales tax) ....

But, that was back in 1972 and according to the consumer price index from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, that's the equivalent of $558.64 in 2013 dollars ...

Yikes, SteveS. I bought a Charatan in 1971 for about $80. Didn't think twice, was likely better employed then than now. Had a few good years in that era.
The musician who had won the lottery was asked what he would do with all of his winnings..he replied, 'Just keep working 'til the money runs out.'

I'd have to say my favourite pipe cost around $160. However, the average price of my entire collection is probably < $50 per pipe since I have a quite a few estates and cobs. I like the cheap pipes almost as much as the expensive ones.

Most of my favorite pipes cost me over $100 and the ones that didn't, would have if I had bought them new. Now this doesn't mean that a $50 or less pipe wouldn't smoke as well, just means that a cheaper pipe does not appeal to me aesthetically. I choose my pipes by what my eye likes, sadly my eye likes what's more expensive and most the time what I can't afford.
Oh! I could smoke just a cob all the time but, that wouldn't make me has happy as smoking a Beautiful Mastro De Paja.

Every punto oro is a favourite. New they are over 100$ but I never paid that for them. Lately I have been on the hunt for more punto oro's. They smoke better than my artisan pipes.

I believe I have two pipes in my collection of 50 or so that cost over $100, both Peterson's bought in the last few years. I may have a couple more that would have had I bought them new. I'd say the majority of the pipes I purchased new were well under $50, but I bought them over 40 years ago, so...

SteveS":goa1yhmj said:
The best pipe I've ever owned was one for which I paid exactly $100 (+ sales tax)  ....

But, that was back in 1972 and according to the consumer price index from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, that's the equivalent of  $558.64 in 2013 dollars ...
So doing the inflation thing in reverse, we're using as a reference point a pipe worth about $18 in 1972.  :lol:  I was around then, but memory fails regarding what kind of pipe you could buy for that amount. A decent second, perhaps? I'm pretty sure that something like a Gefapip was about $30, a good but not great marque. I have one.

As far as now goes, if I had to select only one pipe from my "collection" of 50 or so, I suppose I would take my only Dunhill LB (1966). Yes, it was over $100, bought as an estate.

My favorite is a Peterson 302 that cost 5 pounds (maybe $12) in 1970 in Dublin. Or 28 cents a year. They're over $100 now.

My absolute, 100% favourite is a Goussard Freehand which I received as a gift from the master himself.

I have no pipes for which I paid more than $100. I do have a number of pipes of which the price would have been much more if I bought them new. I like estate pipes and also watch out for NOS al the time.