IL to DFW, Millennial pipe smoker, promoter of the hobby

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm happy to have stumbled upon this great forum where I can share my passion for the hobby.  I grew up in Champaign, IL home of the world famous Jon's Pipe Shop (seriously, one of the best brick and mortars remaining).  I just moved my family to the DFW metroplex to escape the sinking ship that is the State of Illinois.  I'm considered to be part of the Millennial generation and enjoy introducing the art of pipe smoking to my peers.

As my user name implies, I am a graduate of the University of Illinois and a big fan of Fighting Illini sports. I also have libertarian political views.

If anyone reading this is living in the Dallas Fort Worth area, I'd love to connect.  I'm still trying to find a good pipe shop and lounge.

Welcome from southwestern Wisconsin. At 31 wouldn't you be a Gen Xer? Jon's always had the best estate selection of any shop I've been in. Pat the owner is a good guy but I found Michael to be a pain. :shock:

Daveinlax, that's a good question. There are several accepted definitions of Gen Y (Millennials). I generally subscribe to the definition which includes those born between 1980 & 1999. I'm sort of an "elder" Millennial. Also, my parents are young and are not Boomers. Some definitions say Gen X are the offspring of Boomers, which I am not.

Agreed about Patrick. Bought my Charatan from his estate collection. Michael's mood depends on what the Washington Times tells him his mood should be for the day ;)

Welcome!

Y'all may already know that Jon's Pipe Shop is moving to a new location Nov. 1st. They were in campus town for over 50 years in that one location. Parking always sucked down there. But the view on a sunny day was outstanding. Having said that, I enjoy going to Baca Cigars in Champaign for the ease of parking. They are very lucky to have several B&M's over there.

Carlos, Jon's actually moved in Nov 2013 to downtown Champaign. The new store is slightly larger but still retains the quirks and style of the old location. Free parking right out front. Just a few weeks ago they opened their lounge portion of the building. I haven't been yet, but many friends have and I've seen pictures. Search for them on Facebook if you want some pics.

I'm in Cedar Hill.  Great cigar/pipe lounge here.  Tobacco Cabana.  It doesn't look like much outside, but check it out. I'm new too, so I can't post a link, but google it

stapf":wrgdzyko said:
I'm in Cedar Hill.  Great cigar/pipe lounge here.  Tobacco Cabana.  It doesn't look like much outside, but check it out.  I'm new too, so I can't post a link, but google it
Nice stapf, looks like the best pipe shop I've seen in DFW.  I live in Forney, so its about a 40 min drive for me, but certainly worth it for the pipe and tobacco selection.  Are you a member of the "Cabana" lounge?