i'll have some more cake!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
recently, i've had two different 'roll cake' tobaccos, a mac baren blend, and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. they both seem to have a good combo of hard hitting virginia and then a nice sweetness that smooths it out. anyway, this type of tobacco is completely new to me and i really like it. as a newbie, i'd like a little history on the 'cake' blends and any more recommendations like these. i've heard raves about escudo and mcclelland's navy flake (wait, is flake a cake?). see, i need some tobacco 101!

The others that come to mind are Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions and Dunhill Navy Rolls. I've only smoked Escudo and Flake Medallions but both are excellent. Great stuff, with Davidoff only beating Escudo by a hair for my all time favorite smokes.

The spun flakes that we are talking about are different in presentation when generally talking about flakes. Standard flakes are sheets of tobacco that are pressed in blocks then sliced into strips. Rectangular in shape and can vary in density quite a bit between blenders and blends. McClelland's flakes are usually presented in a broken flake. Meaning they have be broken up and are in bits of pressed tobacco.

ahh...this is making sense now. thanks jason. one of our esteemed brothers is sending a sample of escudo to try. see, that's what's great about tobacco, you never find the end, always someone opening another door to another room.

bruins":1okahfcl said:
ahh...this is making sense now. thanks jason. one of our esteemed brothers is sending a sample of escudo to try. see, that's what's great about tobacco, you never find the end, always someone opening another door to another room.
You said it bro!!!!!

Jason, good explanation there bro!!!

Piet Binsbergen":5o1wab0z said:
bruins":5o1wab0z said:
You said it bro!!!!!

Escudo, the gift that keeps on giving!! :lol: :lol:

PS Bullseye flake is definitely on my A-list as well. Enjoy...

MisterE":y5vx2dcr said:
Piet Binsbergen":y5vx2dcr said:
bruins":y5vx2dcr said:
You said it bro!!!!!

Escudo, the gift that keeps on giving!! :lol: :lol:

No shizit E!!
Ron sent some Bullseye, Put most of it in cellar, smoked a couple of medallions and I must say it is good!!!!

Guess i will have to try PS Bullseye I have never seen it at a B&M where I do most of my tobacco shopping but I always find new things I did not see before. But I will say that I do really like Escudo.

St Fiacre":m9r5e5p8 said:
Guess i will have to try PS Bullseye I have never seen it at a B&M where I do most of my tobacco shopping but I always find new things I did not see before. But I will say that I do really like Escudo.
Get some bullseye, trust me!!

PS Bullseye Flake is one of my favorite VaPers. I just placed a small order from pipesandcigars.com

6 Blend Sampler...2oz each of
H&H Anniversary Kake
H&H Rolando's Own
H&H Lousiana Red
H&H Virginia Spice
H&H Classic Burley Kake
H&H Marble Kake
The Kakes sounded interesting.

Plus
a tin each of
McClelland St. James Woods
and Last but not least (according to everyone here)
Escudo

I cant wait to get these and try a few bowls!

BTW, Bruins, was the MacB Dark twist Roll Cake by chance? I've smoked several tins and I like it very much. Needs drying quite a bit in my opinion.

:cheers: to all

MisterE":1cv3ggub said:
I will have to try this out too, if I can find someplace that stocks Stokkebye (I am still exploring all of the local shops). I am new to pipes as well, so these explanations and recommendations are immensely helpful for me. Thanks everyone!

Lupulus":6mmlqr0p said:
MisterE":6mmlqr0p said:
I will have to try this out too, if I can find someplace that stocks Stokkebye (I am still exploring all of the local shops). I am new to pipes as well, so these explanations and recommendations are immensely helpful for me. Thanks everyone!
www.pipesandcigars.com Has Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Twist Flake, but seem to be out of Luxury Navy Flake.

New Smoker":zfvoix5i said:
www.pipesandcigars.com Has Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Twist Flake, but seem to be out of Luxury Navy Flake.
I know online is an option, but I am not keen on paying for shipping or having to purchase a minimum dollar amount of product. I am an unemployed full-time grad-school student (masters of library science) as well as a full-time stay-at-home dad with my 2 year old son, so my hobby money is pretty slim and also jealously guarded. I only buy new tobacco when I am just about to run out of what I have. Someday after graduating I will be rolling in money from my high paying library job, right? Librarians make a lot of money, don't they? :D Oh well, at least enough to buy tobacco more regularly and get a couple more pipes. I only have one pipe right now, a cheap internet briar, but I am saving up to get another one by this Christmas.

New Smoker":p2gdd9xo said:
BTW, Bruins, was the MacB Dark twist Roll Cake by chance? I've smoked several tins and I like it very much. Needs drying quite a bit in my opinion.

no, it was the mac baren club blend. very good. very mild though. makes me want to try the dark twist. i had a bowl of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake given to me, and i thought it was out of this world. the virginia almost had a union square potency, but then the cavandish caught you by suprise. really nice combo, not so subtle as the MC club blend. it is one of the first blends i've smoked down all the way to gray ash. i went to order some, and i was also pleasantly surprised that it's pretty inexpensive. can't wait to get it. am hoping my experience with it wasn't one of those fluke smokes you get sometimes, but can never get again.

bruins":3yvu7wdx said:
New Smoker":3yvu7wdx said:

no, it was the mac baren club blend. very good. very mild though. makes me want to try the dark twist. i had a bowl of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake given to me, and i thought it was out of this world. the virginia almost had a union square potency, but then the cavandish caught you by suprise. really nice combo, not so subtle as the MC club blend. it is one of the first blends i've smoked down all the way to gray ash. i went to order some, and i was also pleasantly surprised that it's pretty inexpensive. can't wait to get it. am hoping my experience with it wasn't one of those fluke smokes you get sometimes, but can never get again.
The Luxury Bullseye isd a really great smoke. I haven't had that much experience with VaPers, but the Bullseye is a winner for me. Aging makes it better. I have about 3/4 of a pound cellared since 2007 and it really seems to meld the Va and Per together with the cavendis center. I'll keep some in my cellar as long as its available.

On the subject of the Dark twist, It has been aging for a couple of years also. I prefer to let it dry for 10-15 minutes before packing it. Of course that sseems to help remedy the famous MacB tongue bite for most of their blends that I've tried. All in laa, the Dark Twist is a pretty good smoke for me.

cool. thanks for the info. i haven't started cellaring yet. i think Luxury Bullseye might be the first.

Both those blends are good Gents, I have about 400g 2007 club blend in cellar along with Bullseye that Ron sent over!!!