I'm a terrible parent...:-(

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-5

Reaction score
So 2 times a week I make organic whole wheat bran muffins that my daughter adores for breakfast (she's 7). She gets a salad for lunch which she also loves. My wife and I make healthy dinners that we all love. You know what else my daughter loves? Doritos!! So for her school day snack I send her with one of the small bags of Doritos.

Yesterday I got an email from her school teacher that explained that she was not allowed to bring doritos for snake because it was unhealthy and we were setting a bad example. She went on to tell me that childhood obesity is a major problem for America and I was doing a MAJOR disservice to my daughter by teaching her that quick and easy is better than healthy.

How could I be so blind. How could I not see that the daily exercise and nutritious food that my child gets would be undone by just one small bag of the devils corn chips. Ohhh what a fool I've been!

I still have not replied to the email, partly because I can't take the ridicule....partly because I want to tell her that when she buys Kays food she can pick what she eats....

Sorry to rant, but I needed to get it off my chest.

"Dear Miss _____,

I'm sorry about my daughter's snacking habits. She's had a terrible craving for junk food since she quit smoking.

As a responsible, modern parent, I was actually not in favor of her smoking, but it did help her stay slim--which as you know is every seven-year-old's first priority, as her body is probably unlikely to change much in the near future.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to send her to school with a Skoal Bandit or two, for when the craving gets too strong? Or perhaps you can suggest something you learned when getting the degree in Nutritional Science that I assume you have.

Yours in the crusade against childhood obesity,
RB-5"

Doc Manhattan":98jl8fex said:
"Dear Miss _____,

I'm sorry about my daughter's snacking habits. She's had a terrible craving for junk food since she quit smoking.

As a responsible, modern parent, I was actually not in favor of her smoking, but it did help her stay slim--which as you know is every seven-year-old's first priority, as her body is probably unlikely to change much in the near future.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to send her to school with a Skoal Bandit or two, for when the craving gets too strong? Or perhaps you can suggest something you learned when getting the degree in Nutritional Science that I assume you have.

RB-5"

OMG!!! That is perfect!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

aren't parent teacher meetings going to be fun this year!

hey, when i was a kid, my mom was a health food nut. i had to take my lunch (because she wouldn't let me eat cafeteria crap.) the kids all turned up their noses at my whole wheat bread, all natural peanut butter, brewer's yeast sprinkles, spinch noodles and whatnot. (wonder bread really was a wonder to me, because i wasn't allowed to have it!) nobody would ever make swaps with me. it was horribly embarrassing to me to open my lunch box every day. anyway, the school actually wrote my mother saying she was a bad parent by making me eat that kind of stuff and not 'normal' lunch food. oh how the times have changed...if i could go back in time and take some doritos with me...

bruins":m84wfww4 said:
aren't parent teacher meetings going to be fun this year!

hey, when i was a kid, my mom was a health food nut. i had to take my lunch (because she wouldn't let me eat cafeteria crap.) the kids all turned up their noses at my whole wheat bread, all natural peanut butter, brewer's yeast sprinkles, spinch noodles and whatnot. (wonder bread really was a wonder to me, because i wasn't allowed to have it!) nobody would ever make swaps with me. it was horribly embarrassing to me to open my lunch box every day. anyway, the school actually wrote my mother saying she was a bad parent by making me eat that kind of stuff and not 'normal' lunch food. oh how the times have changed...if i could go back in time and take some doritos with me...
I actually look forward to conferences every year. I'll be cool with her it just kinda vexed me. If we ever get to hang out....THE DORITOS ARE ON ME!!!

i hope that happens! and i can only speculate which type of baccy would go good with cool ranch.

Doc Manhattan":ovjcf28m said:
"Dear Miss _____,

RB-5"
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :lol!: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well said!

RB-5":ypym7fqj said:
I actually look forward to conferences every year. I'll be cool with her it just kinda vexed me. If we ever get to hang out....THE DORITOS ARE ON ME!!!
Take a big ol bag of Doritos and a 2 liter soda to the conferences "to share".

Brainwash the children, brainwash the parents.. enforce 'Group Think' in an Us vs Them struggle.. Program immediate and intense obediance...

So whats the problem?? We like this in America.. I've seen comments wishing death for people that text while driving.. wishing cancer on smokers children.. etc etc etc... This shit aint going to get better, it's just going to get worse...

Personally (and I would not even flinch) I would email the teacher, the principle, the whole school board, the mayor, county official, the state, the feds, and the damn UN and tell them in very clear language to Fuck Off.

puros_bran":5gwws02h said:
Brainwash the children, brainwash the parents.. enforce 'Group Think' in an Us vs Them struggle.. Program immediate and intense obediance...

So whats the problem?? We like this in America.. I've seen comments wishing death for people that text while driving.. wishing cancer on smokers children.. etc etc etc... This shit aint going to get better, it's just going to get worse...

Personally (and I would not even flinch) I would email the teacher, the principle, the whole school board, the mayor, county official, the state, the feds, and the damn UN and tell them in very clear language to Fuck Off.
:cheers:

Shame on you gents. Don't you understand that mother government has the best interest of your child in mind? Why would you think we could raise our children any better than our dear mother government?

The glorious United Nations also knows what is best for your children, dear comrades.

What could be better for our children than the oversight of their young, tender lives by the international body of the UN?

Carlos":dkvp9y5q said:
We never had snacks in the 2nd grade. Or in any grade. I got cheated! :x
We had Ice Cream break, I guess you can't call it that cause of all those allergic to dairy products will feel left out and sue the school system, thus increasing our taxes.
Hey, thats an idea! tell the damn school your child is allergic to all that health food junk and Doritos is the only thing they can eat for snack without having an allergic reaction too, then curse them for being so damn insensitive. Then threaten a lawsuit of course. :cheers: Yee Haw! aint America great!

Doc Manhattan":3okz23jk said:
"Dear Miss _____,

RB-5"
brilliant Doc!!!!! :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Gentlemen, I proudly served as a combat trained cop in the United States Air Force. I have always put my hand over my heart or rendered a salute as the flag passed. I have always stood with my hand over my heart or rendered a salute as "The Star Spangled Banner" was played or sang. I have always loved my country. And, have always been willing to lay down my life for her. But... BUT, I loath this communistic way of thinking that we Americans are welcoming into our country!!! And, what is so horribly flabbergasting to me is the fact that it is not the mentality of the majority!! It's the mentality of the few!! Yet, we allow it to reign supreme!!!! When are we going to put our collective majority foot down and stop this destruction of our country???

If it doesn't stop soon, I may be asking Piet, BD, or another brother from another country for permission to rent a spare bedroom from them !!!!! I am SICK to death of this behavior and direction in America!!! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

RB-5, it is my not so humble opinion that Doc's and Puro's suggestions are the best that I've seen so far!!! And, I would probably be the most inclined to utilize Puro's suggestion!!!!

Robert

beebiz":xiubf2rg said:
Gentlemen, I proudly served as a combat trained cop in the United States Air Force. I have always put my hand over my heart or rendered a salute as the flag passed. I have always stood with my hand over my heart or rendered a salute as "The Star Spangled Banner" was played or sang. I have always loved my country. And, have always been willing to lay down my life for her. But... BUT, I loath this communistic way of thinking that we Americans are welcoming into our country!!! And, what is so horribly flabbergasting to me is the fact that it is not the mentality of the majority!! It's the mentality of the few!! Yet, we allow it to reign supreme!!!! When are we going to put our collective majority foot down and stop this destruction of our country???

If it doesn't stop soon, I may be asking Piet, BD, or another brother from another country for permission to rent a spare bedroom from them !!!!! I am SICK to death of this behavior and direction in America!!! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

RB-5, it is my not so humble opinion that Doc's and Puro's suggestions are the best that I've seen so far!!! And, I would probably be the most inclined to utilize Puro's suggestion!!!!

Robert
Here here :cheers:

And in a side note I think it is interesting that you were sent an email, things like that used to be given as a note on real paper for the child to take to the parent. How the times have changed, even since I was younger.

As grandparents raising a boy who has just begun Junior High (Middle School)... grade 7.... my wife and I attended a meeting for parents (small attendance for such a large public school... about helping 12 year olds adjust to that new grade level. One of the things offered was that children, tweens, whatever, need to learn, and actually appreciate making decisions for themselves. One suggestion was to let them choose what they want to put in their lunch box.

My wife said "he's really liking this decision making about lunch."

What he does is make his own sandwiches and puts other things for the lunch box in the fridge the night before.... the humorous thing is that he makes twice as much as he needs and eats half of it while he's preparing his lunch :shock:

If you send your child to the state for education that is what you have to deal with. What sacrifice are you willing to make?

I remember how loudly a lot of non-smokers laughed back in the 80's when the country's smokers first went to war with the Behavior Nazis. We said, "Help us fight this now, or you will be next."