IM Corona Lighters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentona

Reaction score
IM Corona's are a mid grade lighter as far as price is concerned (anywhere from $75 and up really), but the quality is unmatched at the price in my opinion. With a lifetime warranty, and some nudging from an older pipe smoker who had his for 19 years (older than me at the time) I bought my first a year ago.

I bought the Pipemaster Series, a Piezo electric lighter, for $90 at my B&M. I was distraught at the price, but after a year of it getting abused by pocket change, pocket knifes, dropped in a snow puddle, gone through the washing machine twice, it still fires with EVERY click.
Here's what she looks like all beat up and "oldened"

2011-01-11202136.jpg

2011-01-11202207.jpg

My most recent IM was an Accord in gold plating. It has a 90 degree flame whereas my Pipemaster is 45 degrees, perfect for pipes (obviously haha). I have only had this one for about a month, but no issues yet! The wheel is very smooth and has little resistance to flick it. It, as with my other, lights with every PROPER flick of your thumb.

2011-01-11202310.jpg

2011-01-11202357.jpg

Always use nothing short of TRIPLE REFINED BUTANE. I use King butane, but there are a number of other brands out there. Post your opinions of IM Corona's, pictures, good luck, and misfortune!
Thanks;
-- Brent

Nice pics, thanks! Antique dealers would call that "oldened" look "patina", and try to charge you more for it! Off the subject, but I dislike the way so many new products are artificially aged, or "distressed". I love watching something age naturally and change, like a guitar, or a good pair of jeans, or in this case, a cool lighter.

I have the same Pipemaster in black... little less wear but I agree, a good lighter where the spark won't crap out. (Also the most wind-resistant piezo lighter 've used... cheaper ones never seemed to spark even in a moderate breeze.)

I have had a IM Corona Old Boy for 2 months now. It has been very dependable except in windy conditions. It's my "nice" lighter, meaning it never leaves home. On the rare occasions when I need a lighter while away from home, I use a disposable Bic.

img_1710.jpg

MisterE":dq0dxytg said:
I love the Corona Old Boys. Classic and dependable!
+1

I have 2: one in Pewter with the pipe shapes on it, and one in Briar. They are very, very reliable.

The Old Boy will be my next IM probably, I got that Accord because I get a hefty discount working at my store. It was a little more than the Pipemaster ($110 prior to discount).

I figured one Corona ain't bad, might as well make it two!

I have an IM Corona Old Boy in pewter with the pipe shapes on it and I couldn't be happier. Picked it up as a gently used estate purchase at a local B&M for $50 and simply love the thing.

My salesman at Georgetown Tobacco recommended Corona for the same reasons you have - price, reliability, and guarantee. I've had mine for 6 months and love it. The lighter is reliable and retains the fuel charge over a long period of time - even when not used for several weeks. So, I agree it is a great lighter, and I have the same model as your photo.

I still like to use a wooden match now and then as it seems a bit more "romantic" as part of the overall smoking ritual, but the lighter is quick and easer for every day.

Question: How often do you check your flint - I've not had to replace one yet. . . I don't smoke a whole lot, so I've not had to deal with this yet.

Thanks!

I agree; my Old Boy is both my "good" lighter and a go-to light; my Zippo gets filled when I'm going outside. Luckily, it turns out you can use a Zippo flint in the Old Boy, though my tobacconist says they're harder. I find my Old Boy flints last for at least 5 or 6 fills of the lighter.

IM Corona lighters, made in Japan, Old Boys are the best lighters at any price that I have found for lighting a pipe. However, lighting the cigarette of a gorgeous woman, well, nothing will do like a lighter made by S. T. DuPont, oooooooohhhhhhh la la la la!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Old Boy as well. It is now my standard lighter.

However, the Pipemaster is a great, solid lighter. I had 2 of these before I could afford the Old Boy. I think the quartz igniter works very well.

I love my 9 month old IM Corona Old Boy (chrome) but I have one problem. The striking wheel has become hard to rotate. I will admit I've used zippo flints solely since the first refill. 75% of the time, she firers up with a gentle flick, but more and more she's stiff. I've removed the flint, and any pressure on the wheel, and its still hard to turn.
Note: I've cleaned lighter once 2 months ago. (Alcohol/tooth brush)

I think I have it!
there is a little screw near the upper striker wheel. Lucky that I own a set of micro screw drivers. Loosened 1/2 turn, she rolls nicely now. My up close vision at age 45 is a challenge at times. Any advise, or suggestions are welcome.
Dang, I love this lighter.

I tried a few $30 lighters that turned out to be huge disappointments before I decided to bite the bullet and get an Old Boy. I've had it for two years and have had no issues with it at all, it's an awesome lighter. I'd love to have the silver plated briar version but can't seem to pull the trigger, maybe I can convince the wife to buy one for me as an anniversary gift.

Koobers":38je2a4r said:
I tried a few $30 lighters that turned out to be huge disappointments before I decided to bite the bullet and get an Old Boy. It's the matte black version and I've had it for two years with no issues at all, it's an awesome lighter. I'd love to have the silver plated briar version but can't seem to pull the trigger, maybe I can convince the wife to buy one for me as an anniversary gift.
***Uh-Oh***

Okay so this morning my wife calls me at work and tells my that she forgot to check my pockets before running a load of laundry and guess what. My Old Boy was in my pants pocket and it went through an entire cycle in the washing machine. She was almost in tears and said it took her a while but when she finally figured out how to light it, it lit on the first try. She thought I would be upset and kept promising to replace it but I just laughed. All it seemed to do was to rub the finish off the bottom corners and other than than it seems to be fine. I told her not to worry about it but if she really wants to make it up to me she can get me the silver and briar Old Boy for my next birthday.

Really like the old boy have the gold with dark briar use it indoors. Zippo works great outdoors better than matches as you dont have to protect the flame from the wind. MIKE

I've always used wooden matches for my pipe lighting all these years but have decided to purchase a good lighter. I remember when the "Old Boy" was a Savanelli lighter and branded as such. I still have my Dunhill Rollalite which I bought at the px over in Siagon back in '69 but it doesn't really work well for a pipe so have decided to get a GOOD one designed for lighting pipes and I recall these were some of the best as the Dunhill lighters are REALLY out of reach these days! I paid $65.00 for the Dunhill sterling silver lighter back then, been worth every $ and I'm looking for a similar quality one for pipe lighting.
Any recomendations as to source of retailers on the 'net with a wide choice of models and good pricing? My B&M here in town only carries the one with pipes on it and I was wanting something more along the lines of an engraved linear pattern similar to my old Rollalite.