I'm Done with shaving cream!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's some wonderful stuff out there I've found over the last year playing with old razors.

Even picked up some blends flavored as "whiskey" and "Tobacco".
Not getting me back to a 4,5,6 or 88 blade razor!

I have a sheet going of blades and soaps if your looking for some personally recommendations.
I have learned, everyone different however.

Traditional shave creams rather than goop in a can, can provide as good as if not better shaves than shave soaps. Personally I have found that the creams lather a lot easier than the soaps and you can get a good slickness especially is used with a pre-shave oil.

Heresy in this forum perhaps, but I just use Ivory soap. Has worked great for years.

dougc905":9jfrvye8 said:
Heresy in this forum perhaps, but I just use Ivory soap. Has worked great for years.
LOL! Nothing wrong with that. I have my share of nice shaving soaps, but I am never averse to using some drugstore Williams or VDH shaving soap.

I've been using The Body Shop's Maca Root Shave Creme and a real badger brush with great results. Can't post a link yet, but if you search Amazon, it should come right up.

I realize the point of this thread has mostly to do with the superiority of shaving soap over shaving cream in a can. I just want to share with you that in my experience as a thick bearded Italian, I have found that shaving cream in a can is a waste. Use your hair conditioner! That's right. Hair conditioner. In all likelihood you already have it in abundance. It is designed to soften your hair, so of course it softens your beard too. The razor glides right through. Also you can see the area you are shaving trough the shaving medium which is very helpful.

Brewdude":boyyedgq said:
What is this shaving thing you speak of?

:lol:

Cheers,

RR
I tried it a couple of weeks ago, after 22 years of being bearded. It didn't take.

Not that I have to shave often, but I sort of known for being inlove with older things/traditions, so my grandmother bought me a boar bristle brush, a nice ceramic dish with my favorite colors (Blue and Green), and some decent smelling soap. I want to find some different smelling shaving soaps, any suggestions? I thinka Pine one would be fantastic! Besides that, I use a Schick Hydro 5 razor. Gets the job done, and the heads are decently cheap.
Zach

Zach, I prefer cream versions, but I think you'd like the scent of Proraso and Speick. I know Proraso has a soap version, but I'm not sure about Speick. Both are available on amazon. The higher-end soaps are also very nice (Trumper, T&H, Taylor of Old Bond).

My story is a much the same as most of you. I was using gel and Mach 3 and started to get irritation on my neck. I joined the forums over at shavemyface.com and soon I was decked out with brushes, creams, soaps and double edged razors. Eventually that dedication wore off. I haven't used my brush and bowl in years. I still use good shave cream, but I lather it in the palm of my hands and shave with a Mach 3. Every few months I'll start to get a little irritation on my neck and I'll switch to the DE razor for a week. Then back to the Mach 3.

Gona be 59 this year so I've been shaving for a while now and have never liked shaving cream. It seems every time I use it I cut myself so, it's either been just warm water or dry shave. Of course having a mustache limits me to how much I have to shave and some winters I do grow a beard just to have the excuse not to shave. It's not a chore I care to do all the time. Lazy Shaver

Bumping an older thread I didn't pay attention to.

Foam in a can is not only the most expensive way to lather for a shave it is also the most unhealthy. Investigate that ingredient list.

A decent lathering cream or soap is far more economical.

You want the cheapest high quality shave? Wetshave with a DE, a $2.50 #6 shave brush, a 15 cent blade, and a tube of proraso. My actual shave cost not counting items I purchase to collect is about $10-15 a year.