i'm no debbie downer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
perhaps a pipe forum is not the place where anyone wants to discuss pipe smoking and health, but i had something happen to me last week that might be of interest to some.

so i found this lump, bump, tumor thing on my gum in the back of my mouth. i pretty much freaked out. (it doesn't help that i have someone special in my life that constantly worries about me getting cancer from pipe smoking and would be the first person to say, i told you so!).

anyway, i went immediately to my dentist (if this happens to you, don't google it! you will not be calmed. just go to a professional.) turned out it was nothing more than a benign bone spur that is very common. but while i was in the dentist's chair, breathing my sigh of relief, i told him i smoke a pipe, that i love it, and i don't want to quit. (whether delusional or not, i don't consider pipe smoking equivelant to cigarrette smoking, so do not list myself as a smoker on medical documents or questionaires.)

this is what he told me (i should say he's in his early 40's, very technology driven, a very up-to-date kind of dentist): he said that an increased risk of cancers in the mouth from pipe smoking are not the result of toxins/carcinogens from the tobacco, but rather the constant irritation from the heat of the smoke. cancers in general, he said, are caused by constant irritations that cause cellular change, and sometimes that change is cancerous. he said if i poked my gums in the same place with a toothpick habitually, i would increase my chance of cancer. as for the pipe, he told me to enjoy it, but that he personally, would not smoke longer than an hour in any one sitting. (i haven't even worked up to a half hour yet, so no skin off my teeth--ha! that's a dentistry pun.)

i should also report that none of what he said had any impact whatsoever on that special someone in my life. but maybe his information is useful to you. i'm sure everyone has their 'my doctor said' stories. take this one for what it is worth. good smoking!

Very glad to hear of your good health bruins, and thank you for passing along your Dentist's thoughts. His take is very interesting.

Good to hear buddy!!
I am glad you are ok!!!
This is interesting info, thanks for sharing!!!!

Glad it was nothing serious.
Moderation is the key to life......

Great news on both counts. Heath is a gift. Moderation and keeping busy doing healthy things keeps your body fighting to stay well. Try to cut down on fruitcose I think that is how you spell it will help very much.. Cancer feeds on this type of sugar.. Stress is the worse.. I smoke my pipe and my stress level goes way down each time.. :D :D :D
Chuck

velveteagle":typy8u4g said:
Great news on both counts. Heath is a gift. Moderation and keeping busy doing healthy things keeps your body fighting to stay well. Try to cut down on fruitcose I think that is how you spell it will help very much.. Cancer feeds on this type of sugar.. Stress is the worse.. I smoke my pipe and my stress level goes way down each time.. :D :D :D
Chuck
i with you chuck! big time with the fructose. they can kill us all with diabetes, but the FDA is gonna stay out of that one.