I'm Sure Glad I Didn't Light A Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
About 9:00 this morning, I heard pounding from outside my house. I looked out a front window and saw a service truck from Xcel Energy, my gas and electricity utility. I walked outside and two service technicians greeted me and said they were glad I was home.
"Every three years we check the meters and it appears you have a significant gas leak underground in the line leading to your meter. I have a crew ordered to dig up the line, correct the problem, and install a new meter. We've already shut off the gas to your house."
It took about until noon till all the work was complete and one of the techs came in my house to light the pilot lights to my furnace and hot water heater.
The lead tech said he could smell the leaking gas before they even used their test equipment and that I was fortunate that there hadn't been a flame close enough to ignite the gas.

Scary stuff Steve. You lucked out on that one. Cheers, RR
I said to the lead tech that I could have really cashed out if the house had blown up. MN home owners' insurance requires full replacement and about 75% additionally for contents. He looked at me, looking somewhat puzzled.
"You wouldn't be replacing anything if you'd been in it when it blew up."