I'm sure this has been asked before.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackson_Black

Reaction score
And I'm no sure I'm in the right thread but as a beginner what are the best techniques for cellaring? I see some have tin upon tin and others have mason jars or both.

What is the purpose of one over the other?

Also, some say they age it and others that they have regular smoking stashes. How do you get this going?

Sorry if I've stepped on toes, I'm just overwhelmed and already want to rush out and buy all I can!

Thanks, everyone :)

It all depends but usually its a matter if you buy bulk tobacco or tinned tobacco. Most of the stuff I like doesn't come in bulk so I have many tins in my cellar. If you buy bulk tobacco the best way to store it is in sealed jars. Some people swear by jars even if they buy tinned tobacco. The reason being is that the seal is less likely to break and some tins are prone to rusting.

As for how I built my cellar. I first figured out what styles of tobacco I liked then when I would try a new one in that genre I would buy three tins of it. One to smoke and two to stash away. Then I would do that with the next one I wanted to try. After a year I had a pretty good stash growing.

You'll probably want to try a lot of different blends and you'll find your tastes change here and there. So you'll probably trade away some of the first stuff you bought for something a little more to your liking as it goes on.

Now I'm at a point where I'm going to get rid of a lot of the different tobaccos I have and build up a bigger supply of the few that I find myself wanting all the time.

There's a lot of different ways it progresses with people but it seems that's a pretty common progression. :lol:

I'm sorry...I lost my train of thought...your avatar....its....lovely...
drooling.gif

I think the common practice is to cellar unopened tins in their original packaging. The bulks and opened tins go into jars. At least that's my practice.