IMP Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill

Reaction score
I've had a number of different brands of meerschaum pipes over the years but only recently obtained a couple of IMP meerschaums. I found these pipes to be of the highest quality from the stone used to the excellent engineering. Another benefit to smoking an IMP is the price. None of the IMP meers I've seen for sale appear to be overpriced. If anything, they smoke well above their price range.

I have two IMP meers. They both are straight billiards. None passes the pipe cleaner test. Sorry, I don't recommend them.

Wet Dottle":wv7xmcb5 said:
I have two IMP meers. They both are straight billiards. None passes the pipe cleaner test. Sorry, I don't recommend them.
It's not possible for my IMP's to pass the test, given the construction (a screw-in mouthpiece). I recommend them highly, and don't deduct points for something that's not relevant to a meer anyway (IMO). To each their own, though.

i found it interesting when checking out specific models of imp pipes on the official website that the description specifically mentions that the pipe passes the cleaner test.
my straight imps easily pass a cleaner and when i use a falcon pipe cleaner, even the bents generally do!
sorry some are dissatisfied in that respect. i'm not and am generally pleased with the quality, draw and certainly value for the price!
jrtaster/john

Gents, I was going to post a question about the quality of these pipes and I exchanged a couple emails with Sinan Altinok and he spoke very highly of them and carries them on his personal website. To me, that is a pretty big deal!

Any new opinions?

I love the big minimalist meerschaums that look really modern.

Got my mitt set on this one.

Ok, can't post it, YET.

It's an IMF smooth meerschaum take on a cherrywood. Gorgeous pipe I found on "smoking-pipes" website

When you get it, you must post pictures!

I have heard good things about IMF, SMS, Baki and Altinok meers, myself. One day I will discover this on my own.

My opinion about imp. I had one who was so good that i sold about 2-3 others meerschaums i had by then and decided to keep this one only.Then later a Baki arrived at me.I found the Baki to be even better and then decided to sell my imp and keep the Baki only.The difference for this judgement was of course the tenon connector(briar type) found in imp and Baki.I do not want a screw connector again after trying this system.Altrough i have several briars,i only keep one meerschaum and that should be,in my opinion,the best.

$35 meerschaums are typically made from meerschaum that is ground up scrap meerschaum and like particle board, bonded into a meerschaum composite. They aren't as good as a real meerschaum. $100 is about is cheap as the real ones get. Unless it's a mini meerschaum maybe.

I agree with Ib: The Baki meerschaums are the best; engineered to be a good smoker. Only available through one source, though, so one does have to pay a premium.

jlong":d9m954rc said:
$35 meerschaums are typically made from meerschaum that is ground up scrap meerschaum and like particle board, bonded into a meerschaum composite. They aren't as good as a real meerschaum. $100 is about is cheap as the real ones get. Unless it's a mini meerschaum maybe.

jlong, thanks for posting this. I was drawn to meerschaums for their aesthetic value, not knowing how great they were as smokers. You mentioning the difference between block meerschaum and scrap is congruent with what I have read about quality and how to determine it and what is a fair price aside from what the market will bear. THANKS!

Kyle Weiss":ln47qk3u said:
When you get it, you must post pictures!

The pic I have posted in my avatar is the one currently in my viewfinder....TODAY.

People talk about them being so fragile, but given that they come with cases and I am rarely smoking on concrete, coupled with not being 12, I think this is a good pipe for a beginner if you know you are staying in the game. Anyway, that is what I have read and I am leaning in that direction. I am a modern minimalist. It speaks to me, smokes great, and is a win/win.

The way I understand it is the composite variety doesn't absorb moisture like block meerschaum nor does it color very well if at all due to the bonding agents.

Care should be taken in not smoking your meerschaum too hot. It discolors them. Cold weather like 30 deg and below is known to crack them as well. You probably read all that too.

...one has to assume in certain markets (eBay) just because it says it is block doesn't necessarily mean it is. There are good deals out there, but don't be swayed by promises and buzzword. 8)

Caveat emptor...buy smart, be careful. Baki's pipes are sweet...I want one...one day.

KW, great point and good reminder. I'm hemming and hawing between an IMP and Baki. I'm leaning towards the Baki due to stem system and him being one guy as opposed to a number of carvers. While in a perfect world, I imagine I'll keep my first meerschaum forever, one never knows and I'd imagine Baki will retain its value.

Then again, what do I know!

I'm impressed with Baki quality and the open draw makes them a pleasure to smoke. The dealer has always treated me honestly and answers my e-mails promptly. The three in my rack are permanent residents.

mark":b8eu3t7t said:
I'm impressed with Baki quality and the open draw makes them a pleasure to smoke. The dealer has always treated me honestly and answers my e-mails promptly. The three in my rack are permanent residents.

Good to know, thanks Mark!

Wet Dottle":j1pzve7g said:
I have a straight apple. It passes a pipe cleaner without effort.